• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Strong Will Thrive! (Senator Armstrong vs. Machoke)

(Plus, it also feels like maybe Metal Gear needs a CRT about Armstrong's AP/Durability & Skill Levels & scaling.)
MGS needs some CRT's yeah, though not for skill stuff, that's more a blog thing (And kinda straightforward, not sure why it's even being contested here, dude could land a hit on cognizant Raiden while being slower, that's automatic high skill).

I mean, what counts as a stomp or not varies so drastically from person to person and staff to staff. I’ve heard as long as you have a win condition, even very unlikely ones, it’s not a stomp. But Armstrong can end the fight pretty much whenever because Machoke not escaping a grab and any damage he does do before the grab is fully completed (assuming he isn’t just fully body tackled) would be healed off, so I’m leaning towards stomp too. Though, from what I’ve heard is the more official definition of stomp is, this won’t be a stomp.

lolno, nevermind that Piplup is not a baby, it has beaten plenty of fully evolved pokemon
Piplup is a baby evolution, yes, assuming this of Piplup means a Machoke in its peak form can also do this, yes.

That Arm will shrug off. And no why would he lmao
Shrugging off punches from a naturally weaker person doesn't mean you will shrug off punches from a stronger person.

He does so in the fight.

None of that would impair Raiden defensively. Yet Armstrong can easily keep up with him, college ball or not. And mind you, he holds the advantages of superior dura and LS over Machoke too
It would impair Raiden's ability to defend against him, the guy can hardly take damage, this doesn't magically make him comparable in skill. You need just understand the context.

And good job avoiding the half of my point you did not have a counter for
Bulk Up defensive boosts while being naturally stronger would suggest Machoke wouldn't get its ass beat, Machoke also has Counter and Revenge to respond to heavy hits, the reason I didn't respond to it wasn't me avoiding your point but rather finding it inconsequential, be more charitable, okay?

Also he matched masters of martial arts my dude, it's less missing the point and more I don't think your point really exists in the first place. The fact he could tag Raiden or retaliate back at all is stupid, Raiden has layers of skill and analytical scaling and feats, Armstrong being buff as **** doesn't mean much when Raiden should be able to evade and counter every attempt of an attack tossed at him by someone less skilled and slower than him.
It matters when in context you understand why, the guy doesn't take much damage from Raiden whatsoever, this doesn't equate to him bridging a skill gap, suggesting so makes zero sense.

I never said if it would work against confusion or not. I was more referring to Snake's passives than that, hence why I lead with "nanomachines".
I wasn't implying you did, I was just reclarifying that we'd need an example for it.

And then immediately after he laughs and is like "lol we're about done".
The context behind what he was saying is that he believes the fight is finished, Raiden is floored after the explosion of EXCELSUS and wasn't standing up. It's not as if he said this in a particularly jovial tone either, he isn't walking away but towards Raiden, when can gather from this that he intends to finish Raiden off where he's in no position to fight back, he only gets interrupted because Blade Wolf shows up.

Yeah he does that, a lot, even while not trying to actually kill his foe. As seen against Jetstream Sam.
It's a copy of his dialogue from the Raiden fight where you have full control, this doesn't make it a contradiction but an oversight.

Unless we are supposed to not take people at their word when they say they want to kill someone and punch them hard enough to blow up the mech they are on top of. This argument doesn't make much sense to me.

It’s stated in the codex that Armstrong can easily kill Raiden if he gets hit. So if that hit was meant to kill raiden that would be very strange since he just beat down on Raiden for a very long time and didn’t kill him during that (referring to Armstrong upscaling).
Okay, but we again see the contradiction in the material, he clearly intends to kill Raiden with the punch that blows up EXCELSUS.

Why would Armstrong throw Machoke away, when he grabbed raiden he kept him there and wailed on him until forcefully separated by the explosion.
I'm referring to earlier on within their fight, it's something he has done, it's not like I'm making it up out of nowhere.

Abstractions. Pal. Rewatch the Senator Armstrong fights again. He says he's gonna kill someone at least like 10 times in a fight and he only ever meant it after Raiden got the Muramasa.

I mean, what counts as a stomp or not varies so drastically from person to person and staff to staff. I’ve heard as long as you have a win condition, even very unlikely ones, it’s not a stomp. But Armstrong can end the fight pretty much whenever because Machoke not escaping a grab and any damage he does do before the grab is fully completed (assuming he isn’t just fully body tackled) would be healed off, so I’m leaning towards stomp too.
Hm.
Though, from what I’ve heard is the more official definition of stomp is, this won’t be a stomp.
What is that definition? Here's what I know:

https://vsbattles.fandom.com/wiki/Stomp_Thread

"A stomp thread is a VS thread where, for all intents and purposes, one of the characters is unreasonably outmatched by their opponent. Whether it is through a difference in statistics, abilities or even (in very rare cases) skill between the two parties, these matches are heavily one-sided and provide little to no challenge or danger for the winning character.
Unlike a match which is decisive in one character's favor, stomp matches very rarely leave any room for debate, with their outcomes coming across as predictable to anyone with even cursory knowledge of the combatants and their abilities.
Note that all potential stomps should be judged case by case, as every matchup is different and there are many variables at play."
  • Common Examples of a Decisive/Non-Stomp Match​

• Both characters have several methods of winning, including options that allow them to win instantly. However, one character can reliably use/activate their winning move(s) first.
    • One character has more ways to win than the other, but the other character wins more times than not due to matchup specifics that allow/cause them to use their winning move(s) immediately.
    • Both characters are otherwise evenly matched in terms of stats and abilities, but one has regeneration that the other cannot easily surmount.
    • Both characters are evenly matched and have regenerative and defensive abilities that prevent the other from killing them, but one character has moves that allow for them to gain the upper hand.

Armstrong kinda wins instantly via LS if he chokes, so unlike Machoke, he seems to have an instant win condition, meaning this kinda fits as a skewed version of example 1, if that qualifies.
Whether they're "evenly matched in terms of abilities", Armstrong does have that Regeneration that I doubt Machoke can easily surmount. Yes, Stat Boosts, but Machoke has very little room to do those before Armstrong takes it down.
& unsure, but doubtful this falls under the 4th example.

Still, by the general definition, & probably the 1st common example, this does feel a lot like a Stomp.
Piplup is a baby evolution, yes, assuming this of Piplup means a Machoke in its peak form can also do this, yes.
Piplup is NOT a Baby Pokemon, it is a First Stage Pokemon, & a Starter Pokemon at that!
If Piplup were a Baby Pokemon, it would be in the Undiscovered Egg Group, & would not be able to Breed.

Last edited:
Abstractions. Pal. Rewatch the Senator Armstrong fights again. He says he's gonna kill someone at least like 10 times in a fight and he only ever meant it after Raiden got the Muramasa.
Punching someone with the force to blow up a mech after continuously laying into them in a fit of anger while proclaiming they intend to kill them is supposed to be a case of someone holding back? I implore you to do the same.

He throw raiden away when he knew he had the upper hand. So maybe he would throw away Machoke once, but if Machoke ever actually starts to get the clear advantage Armstrong is not letting him go. And Machoke would have to be able to end the fight extremely quickly to avoid being grabbed again, which he can’t due to Armstrong’s regeneration and nano machines blocking most the damage he takes.

Considering how raiden got up from the mech explosion and then proceeded to have his full fight with Armstrong, yeah I don’t think that punch was as hard as Armstrong could have thrown it.

Piplup is NOT a Baby Pokemon, it is a First Stage Evolution, & a starter at that!
Miscommunication, but this is what I meant by this: "babies" and first stages tend to be associated with each other, my point was that Piplup is the beginning of its line where Machoke is not, if that sounds more fair to you.

Considering how raiden got up from the mech explosion and then proceeded to have his full fight with Armstrong, yeah I don’t think that punch was as hard as Armstrong could have thrown it.
That doesn't have to speak to Armstrong holding back but rather Raiden's ability to withstand his punches.

I don’t really understand why we treat the stages on this site as if literally all first stage Pokémon are comparable to each other and all second stages are automatically superior, but that’s a discussion for another time (also that’s how I’ve always seen it been talked about but if there are exceptions currently let me know).

And also, suggesting that tagging Raiden of all people isn't a skill feat when you are the slower party just because "But he has HiGhEr dUrAbIlITy" is a dumb argument. If Armstrong was as unskilled as you say he is then Raiden should've skill stomped him 9999999999999 times over.

Punching someone with the force to blow up a mech after continuously laying into them in a fit of anger while proclaiming they intend to kill them is supposed to be a case of someone holding back? I implore you to do the same.
You do realize that being angry doesn't mean being bloodlusted, yes?

That doesn't have to speak to Armstrong holding back but rather Raiden's ability to withstand his punches.
You said the explosion was him trying to kill raiden. But raiden got up from that punch better than a few of Armstrong’s other attacks before that point. Both Armstrong’s casual demeanor afterwards added with raiden getting up pretty much unarmed, and the codex dialogue points to that punch being causal. Over the top, sure, but not in the effort meant to deliver it. Armstrong absolutely is the type of guy to make a show out of things.

It matters when in context you understand why, the guy doesn't take much damage from Raiden whatsoever, this doesn't equate to him bridging a skill gap, suggesting so makes zero sense.
You're right, except literally NOBODY but you is talking about that, him not taking damage obviously isn't skill, and as such, nobody is acting like that is. But you know what is skill? Being able to actually tag the dude or toss hands, nobody is acting like his dura or power is skill, just the actual skill part of them fighting being skill.
I wasn't implying you did, I was just reclarifying that we'd need an example for it.
Then why even reply to me.
The context behind what he was saying is that he believes the fight is finished, Raiden is floored after the explosion of EXCELSUS and wasn't standing up. It's not as if he said this in a particularly jovial tone either, he isn't walking away but towards Raiden, when can gather from this that he intends to finish Raiden off where he's in no position to fight back, he only gets interrupted because Blade Wolf shows up.
Yeah he did believe it was finished, but he didn't believe he killed Raiden.
Yeah "intends to finish him off", meaning he knew his previous attacks weren't actually fatal but still believes and thinks he can just stroll up and kill Raiden, assuming he planned to anyway and wasn't trying to pull a Sam.

It's a copy of his dialogue from the Raiden fight where you have full control, this doesn't make it a contradiction but an oversight.

Wouldn't call it an oversight when they went out of there way to remove various other lines but decided to repurpose that in particular (Probably because it's just the way the dude talks and acts so it fit). Or hell I guess if you wanna be anal about it he still makes it blatantly clear he's gonna rip Sam apart and beat his ass into the ground, except not really he was just talking and didn't mean any of it and forces Sam to join even after Armstrong's own arm got blown off. I'd wager the same applies to Raiden given he made it clear he wanted Raiden to join him, even in the second phase.

Unless we are supposed to not take people at their word when they say they want to kill someone and punch them hard enough to blow up the mech they are on top of. This argument doesn't make much sense to me.

Not when it comes to a ̶s̶e̶n̶a̶t̶o̶r̶ character who says he'll kill you then goes "oh yeah I want you to join me, I like you lol", and demonstrated if he wanted to he could knock Raiden on his ass and throws hands with a Raiden who has a huge power boost because we act like Raiden used Ripper Mode in the second phase meaning Armstrong is fighting and harming someone several times above the feat we're talking about meaning yeah, he does upscale off his own feat.

Okay, but we again see the contradiction in the material, he clearly intends to kill Raiden with the punch that blows up EXCELSUS.

Unless he didn't. Which he probably didn't, and given he can fold a Ripper Raiden, I'm inclined to believe he didn't mean to kill him but just knock him out cold.

Last edited:
Miscommunication, but this is what I meant by this: "babies" and first stages tend to be associated with each other, my point was that Piplup is the beginning of its line where Machoke is not, if that sounds more fair to you.
We currently scale Baby & 1st Stage Pokemon differently, & also scale some Pokemon differently depending on whether their lines are single stage, two stage, or three stage, IIRC.
It may be helpful to check the Pokemon Verse Page.

And also, suggesting that tagging Raiden of all people isn't a skill feat when you are the slower party just because "But he has HiGhEr dUrAbIlITy" is a dumb argument. If Armstrong was as unskilled as you say he is then Raiden should've skill stomped him 9999999999999 times over.
Skill can only get you so far against someone you can hardly hurt and does substantial harm to you with their punches, you can be a master martial artist at 120 pounds but I still wouldn't put you against a lesser skilled guy that is 4x your size, there becomes a limit to what your abilities can do.
You do realize that being angry doesn't mean being bloodlusted, yes?
This is not an argument, Reaper. You can want to kill someone without being "bloodlusted".

You said the explosion was him trying to kill raiden. But raiden got up from that punch better than a few of Armstrong’s other attacks before that point.
Yeah, nothing points to the contrary there, Raiden getting up afterwards speaks to Raiden's tenacity, not Armstrong's motive in that moment.

Both Armstrong’s casual demeanor afterwards added with raiden getting up pretty much unarmed, and the codex dialogue points to that punch being causal
Alternatively, his demeanor entails that he believes the fight is over because Raiden is in no position to fight back, it's "done", because Armstrong can deal him the killing blow if he chooses, which he very well could have intended to do when he was walking towards Raiden, he simply got interrupted by Blade Wolf, who he promptly killed when he was giving the sword to Raiden.

I don't believe the codex dialogue points to the punch being casual, it makes not commentary on the punch whatsoever, just on Armstrong's strength. You have to extrapolate what was said for it to mean that, which doesn't make it fact but rather headcanon. Going strictly off what is shown and done we can just gather that the Codex entries are not infallible, we have Dok even admitting to nanomachines not being his specialty, so there's acknowledgement of there being wiggle room for error.

You're right, except literally NOBODY but you is talking about that, him not taking damage obviously isn't skill, and as such, nobody is acting like that is. But you know what is skill? Being able to actually tag the dude or toss hands, nobody is acting like his dura or power is skill, just the actual skill part of them fighting being skill.
Me talking about him not taking damage is relevant to the discussion on skill, it's a factor to consider within the context of trying to scale Armstrong to Raiden in this fashion, going on a tirade of how nobody is treating it like it is would be rather meaningless and irrelevant to what I meant by using it as a talking point.

Then why even reply to me.
To reclarify? To make the point clear to everyone? It should be rather evident why I replied to you, not some big mystery.

Yeah he did believe it was finished, but he didn't believe he killed Raiden
Well, clearly he didn't believe he killed Raiden, we don't need to assume that because Armstrong can see him moving, that doesn't mean it wasn't his intent to kill him.

Yeah "intends to finish him off", meaning he knew his previous attacks weren't actually fatal but still believes and thinks he can just stroll up and kill Raiden
Yes, because he can still see Raiden and can tell he's alive, thus prompting the intent to finish him off, he knew his attack wasn't fatal because he can clearly see it. I'm not sure what this point is.

I'd wager the same applies to Raiden given he made it clear he wanted Raiden to join him, even in the second phase.
And I'd wager that there was clear intent to kill Raiden based on what is presented, he got gave Raiden his chance and in turn his ideals got shat on, Raiden laid out in no uncertain terms that he didn't plan on joining Armstrong, one could gather from that and proclaiming his intent to kill Raiden right before he angrily punches him hard enough to cause EXCELSUS to explode that he did mean what he said. Regardless of how you view the Sam fight.

Unless he didn't. Which he probably didn't, and given he can fold a Ripper Raiden, I'm inclined to believe he didn't mean to kill him but just knock him out cold.
This sounds like pure conjecture honestly.

I'll clarify that it's not as if I'm dying on a hill to defend Machoke, I haven't voted at all. My intent was to make sure the arguments were laid out, I can be swayed whichever direction.

“because Armstrong can deal him the killing blow”

That point contradicts your other point. Raiden gets up from the explosion fine, he’s not a scenario Armstrong would be able to easily kill him off if Armstrong wasn’t quite a bit stronger.

Skill can only get you so far against someone you can hardly hurt and does substantial harm to you with their punches, you can be a master martial artist at 120 pounds but I still wouldn't put you against a lesser skilled guy that is 4x your size, there becomes a limit to what your abilities can do.

This is not an argument, Reaper. You can want to kill someone without being "bloodlusted".

Yeah, nothing points to the contrary there, Raiden getting up afterwards speaks to Raiden's tenacity, not Armstrong's motive in that moment.

Alternatively, his demeanor entails that he believes the fight is over because Raiden is in no position to fight back, it's "done", because Armstrong can deal him the killing blow if he chooses, which he very well could have intended to do when he was walking towards Raiden, he simply got interrupted by Blade Wolf, who he promptly killed when he was giving the sword to Raiden.

I don't believe the codex dialogue points to the punch being casual, it makes not commentary on the punch whatsoever, just on Armstrong's strength. You have to extrapolate what was said for it to mean that, which doesn't make it fact but rather headcanon. Going strictly off what is shown and done we can just gather that the Codex entries are not infallible, we have Dok even admitting to nanomachines not being his specialty, so there's acknowledgement of there being wiggle room for error.

Me talking about him not taking damage is relevant to the discussion on skill, it's a factor to consider within the context of trying to scale Armstrong to Raiden in this fashion, going on a tirade of how nobody is treating it like it is would be rather meaningless and irrelevant to what I meant by using it as a talking point.

To reclarify? To make the point clear to everyone? It should be rather evident why I replied to you, not some big mystery.

Well, clearly he didn't believe he killed Raiden, we don't need to assume that because Armstrong can see him moving, that doesn't mean it wasn't his intent to kill him.

Yes, because he can still see Raiden and can tell he's alive, thus prompting the intent to finish him off, he knew his attack wasn't fatal because he can clearly see it. I'm not sure what this point is.

And I'd wager that there was clear intent to kill Raiden based on what is presented, he got gave Raiden his chance and in turn his ideals got shat on, Raiden laid out in no uncertain terms that he didn't plan on joining Armstrong, one could gather from that and proclaiming his intent to kill Raiden right before he angrily punches him hard enough to cause EXCELSUS to explode that he did mean what he said. Regardless of how you view the Sam fight.

I'll clarify that it's not as if I'm dying on a hill to defend Machoke, I haven't voted at all. My intent was to make sure the arguments were laid out, I can be swayed whichever direction.
Dodging a 480 pound person would be easy, most of the time they're slow, and as a martial artist you can hit a pressure point to incap.

Armstrong totally wanted Raiden dead even though every other show of his character makes him saying he's gonna kill someone completely meaningless.

That point contradicts your other point. Raiden gets up from the explosion fine, he’s not a scenario Armstrong would be able to easily kill him off if Armstrong wasn’t quite a bit stronger.
The scene plays out with Raiden floored after the explosion while Armstrong approaches him, my point isn't contradictory because Raiden is clearly in a vulnerable position, at most you can argue with the phrasing but the point stands.

Should it even be contradictory, what changes? We view Armstrong as stronger than Raiden, if Raiden scales to Armstrong it just means he downscales, which narratively is fine.

Dodging a 480 pound person would be easy, most of the time their slow, and as a martial artist you can hit a pressure point to incap.
I think you missed the point with what I conveyed, the person 4x your size isn't someone who is considered obese, they are muscular, just as Armstrong is in this scenario. They are slower, but still relative to you.

Do notice how your solution is to hit a pressure point in a particularly sensitive spot of the body in efforts to incapacitate the target instead of brute forcing your way through them with martial skills, this solution doesn't exist in the fight with Armstrong because of his nanomachines, he's a walking tank that can contend with Raiden in LS while also being able to withstand flurries of blows because of his protection. Armstrong does not need to put nearly as much effort to harm Raiden and it shows, so why do we feel the need to suggest he's comparable in skill when none of that is evident within the context of the game?

I think you missed the point with what I conveyed, the person 4x your size isn't someone who is considered obese, they are muscular, just as Armstrong is in this scenario. They are slower, but still relative to you.

Do notice how your solution is to hit a pressure point in a particularly sensitive spot of the body in efforts to incapacitate the target instead of brute forcing your way through them with martial skills, this solution doesn't exist in the fight with Armstrong because of his nanomachines, he's a walking tank that can contend with Raiden in LS while also being able to withstand flurries of blows because of his protection. Armstrong does not need to put nearly as much effort to harm Raiden and it shows, so why do we feel the need to suggest he's comparable in skill when none of that is evident within the context of the game?
These arguments deserve a facepalm.

First of all, I wasn't saying they were obese, because someone 480 pounds is always going to be quite slow and easy to dodge, especially considering they're so damn big and muscular, muscles are good, but to get to 480 pounds off of pure muscle means you are neither really flexible or agile.

Second of all, Any martial artist worth even a tiny little fraction of a damn is gonna be going for pressure points against someone who is even a bit bigger then them, thats just common sense.

Third of all, Armstrong actually beat someone who could do genuine damage to him in Sam, you know, a guy who kept up with Raiden with practically nothing but his skill?.

And last of all, nobody ever said Armstrong was equal to Raiden in skill, but the very capability to tag someone faster then you and has those skill feats requires skill when your not faster then them. Even Armstrong no-selling all of raidens attacks in first phase is completely trashed by him keeping up with Raiden in second phase, you know, when Raiden had literally every advantage except for LS?

“Raiden is clearly in a vulnerable position” Armstrong doing anything in the previous scene put him in a ‘vulnerable position’. He trapped raiden in a grab like four times and sat on him in the very scene that blew up the mech.

Abstraction's, you're being ridiculous. "armstrong is so buff and that magically lets him fight Raiden", it doesn't, not how it works Armstrong being strong just means he can take hits and dish out damage, it doesn't let him land hits or counter hits like he did against Raiden and Sam, being able to parry them and shit, that's skill, especially when he's slower. You think some buff dude could land a hit on someone 10x faster than him without being skilled? Against a dude with layers of analytical prediction and movement at that? No, you're wrong here, the fact you're arguing that being buff let's you toss hands with a dude that's faster than you and has a skill chain that's bigger than my dick is asinine.
It isn't, at all, nobody is talking about it because nobody sat down and thought "yeah, being buff let's you toss hands against a dude with like 10 skill stomps worth of scaling" against someone's that faster. It's like saying some average buff dude could outskill Bruce Lee, it don't matter how buff he is, Bruce Lee is gonna be running circles around his ass and humiliating him even if that buff dude could tank his hits like a champ and floor him in one punch.

Then reply to everyone else, not me. Or to Imagnym as he's the person actually asking.

Him moving isn't a real indication, he's a cyborg, could've been him seizing up, who knows, or maybe he was injured to the point of crippling, none of that was the case, he was just reeling, Armstrong didn't know any of that, but he knew Raiden wasn't dead.

Woah, almost like that happened with Sam too? Sam ******* hated Armstrong, shat on his ideals, told him to **** off, and even cut his arm off. And at the end Armstrong was like "lol nice you're hired". Armstrong doesn't really give a shit if you disagree with his ideals, he knows bullshit when he sees it and he knew that was the case with Raiden, after all he straight up tells Raiden as much while dying and Raiden picks up Armstrong's ideals, Raiden was in denial.
And what do you mean "regardless of how you view the sam fight", you mean viewing it as it's intended to be viewed? Like this isn't exactly Shakespeare, was made blatantly obvious.
I'm not the person arguing the dude who says he'll kill people and rip them apart every other sentence but in actuality wants them to join him and wants to prove a point means he's actually going all out even though we can absolutely confirm that in a handful of instances he was 100% holding back, why would this time be any different? Especially when he turns around and starts tossing hands and hurting a dude who's what, 10x or something stronger and more durable then he was a minute ago?

Or like, understanding a character's traits and how they act and their true goal and motive and comparing it to actions they took before, after, and in instances where we know for a fact they did the thing.

Again, want to remind you, especially because you argued for it if memory serves.
Raiden used Ripper Mode against Armstrong in phase 2, Ripper Mode amping Raiden's physical statistics by a ludicrous degree, but despite that huge amp, Raiden was still being hurt by Armstrong, but you're arguing that Armstrong's Excel punch was actually a serious bloodlusted blow but Raiden took without much damage, despite Armstrong being able to harm a Ripper amped Raiden right after, when, if what you say is true, would mean Armstrong's blows shouldn't actually do much and he should be getting his ass kicked (he wasn't, he was still winning).
Couple that with some of Armstrong's one off blows doing more damage to Raiden then the Excel punch both before AND after, idk chief. Seems like Armstrong just punched Raiden and that was about it.

Or hell, if you ABSOLUTELY must think he intended to kill Raiden there, that doesn't mean he was going all out either, one could try and kill a dude and just undershoot and not use enough power to do so, doesn't mean he used all his power given he turns around and starts throwing hands with Raiden in phase 2.

I will give a full in-depth response when I return in an hour or so, expect a long one.

Well I guess we're doing this then.

Hope to God you aren't gonna spend any of text real estate arguing skill though as if Armstrong didn't duel Sam and shit.

Beyond the fact of how one could take this as insulting due to it being such an offhanded and unnecessary remark, I find that it holds some comedic value purely because it serves as a benchmark for your critical lack of understanding of the arguments at hand, this little amount of commentary speaks for itself when complimented with the rest of what you call a rebuttal, which I'll get into:

First of all, I wasn't saying they were obese, because someone 480 pounds is always going to be quite slow and easy to dodge, especially considering they're so damn big and muscular, muscles are good, but to get to 480 pounds off of pure muscle means you are neither really flexible or agile.
Instead of properly dissecting my analogy for the situation, you go into a long-winded debunk that seems hyper-focused on the exact weight of those in mention, and how such individuals would actually be super slow.

The speed factor matters none here and even better suits my analogy due to the fact we know that Armstrong is slower than Sam and Raiden. Yet you focus on this when it only serves to dodge the crux of the problem. Almost poetic how you insist it being easy to dodge is actually dodging the key issue:

Second of all, Any martial artist worth even a tiny little fraction of a damn is gonna be going for pressure points against someone who is even a bit bigger then them, thats just common sense.

The argument of pressure points tells to me that you yourself probably don't understand how those things actually work due to lack of actual experience with martial arts in general, as pressure points do not exist like how we assume they do, we as people have weak points in our bodies but in these scenarios you need the adequate strength to abuse them effectively, it is not as simple as Kenshiro or the Vulcan Nerve Pinch makes it out to be. Even ignoring this aspect, outside of the analogy it holds no water even more so due to how Armstrong has nanomachines protecting him.

It is a very real thing that weight (and further, strength) disparity creates a gap between people in a playing field like Boxing, Wrestling or MMA. Weight Classes establish a level playing field for the people fighting. Now watch these clips and ask yourself: would this be even remotely fair if the strongman/actor had the slightest idea how to fight in the case of an actual serious scenario?

The answer is (and always should be) a resounding no.

To now understand the main point of this argument: Skill can only get you so far in a battle against someone bigger and stronger than you, even skill has its limits and isn't an end all be all in any given scenario, you need other aspects to back it up.

Poetic retribution.

Third of all, Armstrong actually beat someone who could do genuine damage to him in Sam, you know, a guy who kept up with Raiden with practically nothing but his skill?
You mean the same fight where Armstrong can effectively block any strike on his body because of the nanomachines coursing through it? Are you seriously trying to tell me that having a nigh-impervious body had nothing to do with why he won that fight?

Enlighten me on what skill is required in blocking a sword strike with your head, Reaper. I'm genuinely curious, because performing this kind of maneuver in any situation where you are not safe from harm is not skillful but instead completely idiotic. Armstrong is abusing his body here and frankly won the interaction because Sam was caught completely off-guard by the fact Armstrong could weaponize his own wound.

I can only think that people using this as an argument have a complete fundamental difference to I when it comes to interpreting feats almost as if completely looking over crucial context cues, and I can only assume it looks like this:

Them: "Armstrong is blocking Sam's sword strikes, this indicates he is skilled."

Me: "Armstrong is blocking Sam's sword strikes with his whole body, this is logically stupid."

It affords the characters the most charitable possible interpretation either by blissful ignorance or omission of key details that paint the scenario in a different light. Not that is inherently wrong of somebody to have this kind of thought process as nobody's interpretation is necessarily more important than someone else's, but when in the effort of truth seeking we commonly look to what is the most sensible when presented with statements or feats, it is why people throw out arguments like PIS or outlier so much, so I cannot in good faith accept the former take because it doesn't display the whole story, it is charitable,
but not logical or sensible, and it only takes looking at the scenario while removing a key detail; the nanomachines.

"Armstrong is blocking Sam's sword strikes with his whole body, this is logically stupid."

Should we discard the detail of nanomachines, his whole body
becomes a flaw, justifying
the interpretation that this manner of defense which was initially pivotal towards his strategy (one that he relied on) has become completely illogical and no sane person would do it. It is his reliance on his nanomachines that grants him his openings and his ability to fight back; it is reckless and without self-preservation, not skilled -

"Armstrong is blocking Sam's sword strikes, this indicates he is skilled."

For this interpretation to work in the current scenario, you'd have to add another element outside of his body, which we have little to go off of.

And last of all, nobody ever said Armstrong was equal to Raiden in skill
(And kinda straightforward, not sure why it's even being contested here, dude could land a hit on cognizant Raiden while being slower, that's automatic high skill)
Also he matched masters of martial arts my dude,
Ya ever heard of skill scaling? No "bruiser" is gonna be laying his hands so consistently on ******' Raiden despite being arguably slower
Before you say "They didn't directly compare the two" because they didn't state it word for word (people are really sticklers for that), the arguments are implying relativity, which is still much higher than Armstrong deserves credit for.

Even Armstrong no-selling all of raidens attacks in first phase is completely trashed by him keeping up with Raiden in second phase, you know, when Raiden had literally every advantage except for LS?
Except Raiden didn't, Raiden got Murasama and the player got the actual freedom to kill Armstrong, not much changed.

And also, no? Have you watched the fight? Armstrong employs standard wrestling and football techniques and gets his ass beat for a majority of the interaction, his only leverage is his vast durability and being stronger than Raiden.

What a skilled move, opening himself up for that.

Armstrong doing anything in the previous scene put him in a ‘vulnerable position’. He trapped raiden in a grab like four times and sat on him in the very scene that blew up the mech.
Using the previous video for benchmarks:

14:12 - Grapples an unprepared Raiden on the head, Raiden visibly struggles due to Armstrong's superior strength. Not much skill needed for that.

14:34 - They lock one arm, Armstrong attempts to punch a defensive Raiden with haymakers, misses a few times, then grabs his neck and lifts him while Raiden fails to break the hold because of superior strength. This is a rather inefficient method of incapacitating someone and is just a clear abuse of strength.

He then proceeds to throw Raiden like a ball, what a flex.

In the meantime, we get the first fight phase where Armstrong just bullies you with his durability to just be a show off, Armstrong breaks the HF Blade and off-guard punches Raiden and the face but then Raiden blocks another because Armstrong's punches are slower and easily telegraphed. Armstrong's solution to this block is to, of course, push harder with his fist, because that's the most skilled thing he could do. Totally.

18:00 - Armstrong grabs Raiden's neck again, Raiden struggling as Armstrong physically pushing him forward with the advantage he has, and then physically appeals Raiden's hand off his neck while still holding him.

These occur before he sits on him, which he only got to do because he knocked Raiden into the air after Raiden turned his back on him but tell me, which of these interactions was Raiden super vulnerable, in a way that was achieved through skill and not brute force?

Abstraction's, you're being ridiculous. "armstrong is so buff and that magically lets him fight Raiden", it doesn't, not how it works
No, you're wrong here, the fact you're arguing that being buff let's you toss hands with a dude that's faster than you and has a skill chain that's bigger than my dick is asinine.
It isn't, at all, nobody is talking about it because nobody sat down and thought "yeah, being buff let's you toss hands against a dude with like 10 skill stomps worth of scaling" against someone's that faster.

Oh god, Chariot! What's that, over yonder?

16214718.jpg

It's like saying some average buff dude could outskill Bruce Lee, it don't matter how buff he is, Bruce Lee is gonna be running circles around his ass and humiliating him even if that buff dude could tank his hits like a champ and floor him in one punch.

Instead of spreading misinformation, review above and educate yourself on the matter.

Him moving isn't a real indication, he's a cyborg, could've been him seizing up, who knows, or maybe he was injured to the point of crippling, none of that was the case, he was just reeling, Armstrong didn't know any of that, but he knew Raiden wasn't dead.
This is not really a rebuttal to what I said and is just theory-crafting, the fact of the matter is Armstrong knew he wasn't dead because it was readily visible to him, suggesting his intention was to not kill Raiden when also blowing up the giant mech they stood on with a punch he wound up while proclaiming that he wanted Raiden to die is simply conjecture, there's no way to prove those weren't his intentions.

And what do you mean "regardless of how you view the sam fight", you mean viewing it as it's intended to be viewed? Like this isn't exactly Shakespeare, was made blatantly obvious.
Because the his interaction with Sam does not immediately correlate to his interaction with Raiden? Who visibly and audibly pissed Armstrong off with his use of trickery in their conversation to throw him on his ass?

This stuff isn't 1-to-1, stop pretending that it is.

Or like, understanding a character's traits and how they act and their true goal and motive and comparing it to actions they took before, after, and in instances where we know for a fact they did the thing.
You can understand their characters traits and how they act and still come to the conclusion that his intent was to kill Raiden in this moment, instead of relying on a piece of in-game dialogue to supplant every true attempt Armstrong makes on someone's life. It's either he wanted to kill Raiden here or you refuse to take him seriously or at his word.
Again, want to remind you, especially because you argued for it if memory serves.
My argument was that since you've been given full control of the character and have been actually given the freedom to kill Armstrong beyond the cutscenes clearly catered to demonstrate his durability, that you actually do damage. Ripper Mode being at play is a whatever factor, but frankly this point is completely irrelevant to the subject and is a talking point from a different thread, so leave it there.
Or hell, if you ABSOLUTELY must think he intended to kill Raiden there, that doesn't mean he was going all out either, one could try and kill a dude and just undershoot and not use enough power to do so, doesn't mean he used all his power given he turns around and starts throwing hands with Raiden in phase 2.
You'd really have to go out of your way to suggest Armstrong was simultaneously holding back with also the desire to kill Raiden just to support that it's all 100% casual feat, it's not. You can argue that he held back in there somewhere but you have to admit it to yourself somewhere down the line that it's conjecture.

This thread has been effectively derailed beyond it's original purpose and I'm done contributing to that, so do yourselves a favor and focus on that from here on out, as my work has been done.

Thank you and goodbye.

For good measure.

Last edited:
This thread has been effectively derailed beyond it's original purpose and I'm done contributing to that, so do yourselves a favor and focus on that from here on out, as my work has been done.

Or we can focus on your wall of text because half of it is full of shit?
That's what I'm gonna do at least.

This is Neo level dodging of the argument holy shit.

Funny that too given Abstraction's actively avoided several of people's points.
I didn't actively avoid a thing, not every single individual point of yours needs to be deemed worthy of a response. If I find it inconsequential I'm not going to respond to it, it's not dishonest, I just don't choose to waste time writing out more text walls against something that isn't entitled to my time.

Learn to tell the difference please.

Last edited:
Yeah dude because I had time to actually write up anything yet, shocker.
Then... don't respond until you've written something of value???

Saying someone's argument is full of shit does not tell me that you're writing up a response and need time. It just tells me you can't be bothered to actually analyse and rebutt properly.

I didn't actively avoid a thing, not every single individual point of yours needs to be deemed worthy of a response. If I find it inconsequential I'm not going to respond to it, it's not dishonest, I just don't choose to waste time writing out a text wall against something this isn't entitled to my time.

Don't know about that chief, "I didn't actively avoid a thing", sounds kinda odd when you actively avoid a thing, also I never said my points, don't know why you're assuming that, that's presumptuous of you, because in that case we're only talking partially there. And inconsequential? A bit rude don't you think? A reply begets a reply, common decency, I'm doing the same to you after all and I sure as **** don't have the time for that but I'm gonna do it anyway because that's just common practice.

And the difference? Lad, I'm not the person who just assumed and spouted off several things, I'd say the same to you honestly given you've seemed to have made a habit of that.
bout straw manning, you're worse then anyone else in this thread by far.

Saying someone's argument is full of shit does not tell me that you're writing up a response and need time. It just tells me you can't be bothered to actually analyse and rebutt properly.

Or maybe I looked over it, was like "man half of this is full of shit", said as much and denoted that I'll write up a reply. Not sure how you got that from me saying that, not like people are incapable of drawing conclusions off reading something without writing up a huge wall of text first.

For the love of ******* god, everyone, chill the hell out. Debates don’t have to escalate to absurd tensions like this, and if we can stop the snide insults, condescension, and passive-aggressive language, we could actually have a debate.

Watch yourselves, because I’ll be watching all of you.

Me saying the opposing arguments were facepalm worthy did not deserve to spiral and devolve into this. Regardless I honestly think most of the opposing arguments this time around arent good at all, but I don't really have the energy to debate with copies of the Bible right now, so I'm just gonna put this here and lurk.

Me saying the opposing arguments were facepalm worthy did not deserve to spiral and devolve into this. Regardless I honestly think most of the opposing arguments this time around arent good at all, but I don't really have the energy to debate with copies of the Bible right now, so I'm just gonna put this here and lurk.
Okay, but here’s the thing. We’re here to debate. Do you think the opposing argument sucks? Sure, that’s fine. Then debate why. Saying that you think the opposing points sucks isn’t debating, it’s unnecessary banter that only goes to annoy people who surely think their arguments are good.

A debate is at it’s best when both parties can show the opposing argument respect, or at the very least, neutrality and fairness.

This goes for everyone here.

Back