• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The standard format for Powers & Abilities pages?

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
That might be a good idea, yes. However, let's wait for more staff input.

Well, personally I don't think a problem with plagiraism should occur here, given that the format is like it is since it makes sense that way.

The Types can probably be removed since it rarely is used.

I think the "Uses" part is relevant, though I would rename it to "possible uses". That is relevant for abilities were more specific possibilities aren't necessarily part of the what a user can do, but are noteworthy to be mentioned. The section is also useful for abilities which effects aren't obvious. See Mathematics Manipulation for example.

Keeping a section for listing common limitations could also be useful. That way for Toon Force or other potentially omnipotent powers it is pointed out that not every user can be expected to do literally everything.

I also don't really see an issue with the current layout. It works and it works well. As long as the actual written content in the powers themselves don't plagiarize other sites then I see no harm.

Okay. So, remove "Types" , and keep the rest then?

However, Lina's version is considerably more straightforward to create, so perhaps the other sections should merely be kept as suggestions?

I'm not sure if there needs to be a standard format for something so simple, as long as the page is made well.

I'm fine with Lina's suggestion, though.

I suppose I am fine with making the other poers and abilities optional.

Regarding Lina's suggestion: Aren't the mechanics behind abilities too dependend on the user to list them generally?

What would for example stand in the "How it works" section of light manipulation?

Or is the intention behind the section something different then listing the mechanisms?

@DontTalk Maybe we just give a couple of examples or or a general idea of how its supposed to work.

RadicalMrR said:
@DontTalk Maybe we just give a couple of examples or or a general idea of how its supposed to work.
Can you give an example for that (maybe for light manipulation)? Just so I see what is suggested to be put there.

Bending Light to your will (Something you would maybe see in Avatar the Last airbender)

Creating flashes of light (Solar flare)

Bending light around yourself to become invisible.

Adding on to DT's suggestion, how about the format

How It Works

• insert how this particular power works, or functions
Uses

• What the said ability can be used for
Users

• add users of said ability here.
This is because a description of said power/ability would also be explained in the "How It Works" section. I would think that as long as people can understand how said ability works, they'll understand what the ability actually is in the first place.

However, it seems that DT and Dark don't seem to have any issues in regards to the current format that we use for Powers and Abilities, so I will agree with them as well in regards to this topic.

Okay, so something like the following then?

Summary
Insert a basic description of the ability in question.

How It Works
Insert how this particular power works, or functions

Types (Optional)
Variations, or levels of usage, of the power/ability.

Limitations (Optional)
The restrictions for usage of this power.

Users
List users of the ability here.

For the "Users" section it should probably be "Some examples of users of the ability here", to make clear that it isn't supposed to be an extensive list of all users.

As mentioned I would suggest renaming "Uses" to "Possible Uses" as far as such a section is used, so that it is clear that not all listed uses are applications every given user is capable of.

@Lina: So if I understand you correct you want to move explanations on what the ability is to the "how it works section" so that it basically replaces the summary?

So in that format Light manipulation would then for example look as following?:

The power to manipulate light.

How it works
User can create, shape and manipulate visible light, commonly referred to simply as light, is electromagnetic radiation that is visible to the human eye, and is responsible for the sense of sight.

Primary properties of visible light are intensity, propagation direction, frequency or wavelength spectrum, and polarisation, while its speed in a vacuum (299,792,458 meters per second/186,000 MPS) is one of the fundamental constants of nature. Visible light, as with all types of electromagnetic radiation (EMR), is experimentally found to always move at this speed in vacuum.

In common with all types of EMR, visible light is emitted and absorbed in tiny "packets" called photons, and exhibits properties of both waves and particles. This property is referred to as the wave―particle duality. The study of light, known as optics, is an important research area in modern physics.

Uses

• Create/generate/increase, absorb, shape and manipulate light and colors.
  • Absolute Light
  • Bend and/or shift light particles:
  • Flight/Levitation
  • Light Attacks
  • Light Negation
  • Light Solidification via controlling light.
    • Photokinetic Constructs, including weapons, armor, walls or allies/servants.
  • Move at light-speed.
Users

(Assuming optional categories are not filled in)

Is that correct or should the summary be part of this as well in your opinion (like in Antvasima's current suggestion)?

Here is a new suggestion. Do you think that it is better now?

Summary
Insert a basic description of the particular power or ability in question, including how it works or functions.

Possible Uses
Explanations about how the power or ability can be applied.

Types (Optional)

Limitations (Optional)

Users
List some examples of users of the ability here.

That looks to be very flexible. Summary, Possible Uses, and Users are mandatory, while Types and Limitations are optional, correct?

The summary would also function as a description of how said power works, correct?

Yes, that is correct, although I am uncertain if it would be better to merge the "Summary" and "Possible Uses" sections into one?

Antvasima said:
Yes, that is correct, although I am uncertain if it would be better to merge the "Summary" and "Possible Uses" sections into one?
I mean their are a lot of powers with tons of different uses, so IMO you could merge the "possible uses" and "summary" for powers that have a small list, but for powers with a large variety of possible uses, separating them would be best.

@Grudgeman

That sounds fine. There isn't a whole lot of stuff you can say about Flight or Invisibility.

Okay, so:

Summary
Insert a basic description of the particular power or ability in question, including how it works or functions.

Possible Uses (Optional)
Explanations about how the power or ability can be applied.

Types (Optional)

Limitations (Optional)

Users
List some examples of users of the ability here.

Okay. I will update the page accordingly.

Since it seems like many users have reached a consensus, I have been editing pages to fit Ant's suggested format.

Okay. Thank you very much for the help.

No problem. I'll continue editing more when I get the chance.

I believe we can close this now.

Thanks for the appreciation everyone and not a problem at all.

@Lina

Probably just the formatting. I'll have to go through it after my next exams are over.

Okay. Thank you for the help.

Back