• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Revenant Marvel Comics Discussion Thread

Galactus being a coward
lcBTvx4.jpg

Should Thanos get his intelligence downgraded to "Extraordinary Genius" or at most "At least Extraordinary Genius" instead? His listed intelligence feat do not truly seem to reach a Supergenius level.

Should Thanos get his intelligence downgraded to "Extraordinary Genius" or at most "At least Extraordinary Genius" instead? His listed intelligence feat do not truly seem to reach a Supergenius level.

Thats always a problem, the scale should be somehow based on IQ scale but most of characters dont have a stated IQ, so there is not a real data that can be used.

The requirments to fit each category is relative, multiple characters are often stated to be "the best on their field" but later someone smarter appears he didnt become dumber but he is not the best anymore.

I had a question about that too because of a character that won whats equivalent to the highest prize a on earth for that field, would that be considered genius? I think so but its also there a lot of people who win those prizes.
I also saw other people with questions about those "intelligence tiers".

I think it should be updated.

He can do shit that's difficult for Iron Man and Reed Richards, like turning Galactus into a weapon and (although I might be misremembering) making dimension-hopping technology.
Well, his intelligence justifications need to be updated to include his absolutely most impressive feats in this area. Otherwise "At least Extraordinary Genius" is the best that we can afford him.

Thats always a problem, the scale should be somehow based on IQ scale but most of characters dont have a stated IQ, so there is not a real data that can be used.
We don't use IQ for intelligence stats, because it's wildly inconsistent across fictions and the most important factor is feats. Authors routinely write IQs that are literally impossible because they don't understand how IQ is scored.

The requirments to fit each category is relative, multiple characters are often stated to be "the best on their field" but later someone smarter appears he didnt become dumber but he is not the best anymore.

I had a question about that too because of a character that won whats equivalent to the highest prize a on earth for that field, would that be considered genius? I think so but its also there a lot of people who win those prizes.
I also saw other people with questions about those "intelligence tiers".
We have to go by what different characters can actually demonstrably do, not by terms that do not mean anything in practice, especially when comparing different fictions.

We don't use IQ for intelligence stats, because it's wildly inconsistent across fictions and the most important factor is feats. Authors routinely write IQs that are literally impossible because they don't understand how IQ is scored.

Yes, as far as I am aware, 200 is the absolute peak for reliable testing, as it is in relation to all of the rest of humanity.

The most common tests have a ceiling of 160, one of them has a ceiling of 210, and one of them can theoretically get up to 440 (as it divides by age, a 5 year old could theoretically achieve 440, but Richard Reed could not).

He would certainly be smarter than our ability to measure.

He should be likely Supergenius. He should be smarter than most earthly character and possibly on same level as Reed.

The point is feats are also very relative a person capable of making/inventing a laser gun on reality would be genius but in some verses like marvel average aliens can make laser guns for breakfast.
And for tactical knowledge is even worse how do you "tier" a captain making a strategy? I mean there are a lot of strategies that are just basic and any average would easily think of.

Just seems so relative that is very hard to scale it, the person who invented electricity was a genius on his own time but now any average would do it, but the same can be applied to any kind of civilization that are futuristic, they can learn how to make atomic bombs at the age of 5.

Back