• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The My Little Pony Comics Should be Considered Canon Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now in the distant past we used to consider the comic book series canon, up until some tweets from Bobby Curnow and Jim Miller said otherwise. I present this tweet that explains the comics relationship to the show and their canon https://i.imgur.com/zoJzSzB.jpg. They are canon until contradicted by the events of the show. That means as long as the show doesn't shove it aside, any and all feats from the comics are fair game.

"But Jim Miller said the comics and show are separate!" Look at what Andy's saying there. Andy isn't saying the comics are canon. Andy is saying that Hasbro is calling them canon, as in the company that owns My Little Pony. The company Jim Miller works for? Look, I have no problems with Word of God around here, but in this case it's WoG vs WoG and between you and me Hasbro seems like a bigger God than Jim.

TL;DR Jim's word is rendered null by the words of the very company he works for.

Jim never even called them non-canon in the first place. According to him, he was misinterpreted.

"But Bobby also said the comics don't impact the show!" See above. Hasbro's word is worth far more than Bobby's.

And even still, that falls perfectly in line with the shows relation to the comics. They can be contradicted at any time. The comics that don't get contradicted can still be considered canon up until that point should it ever arrive. Based on their description, it seems a bit similar to Databooks getting contradicted by the canon; a bit akin to secondary canon.

"The show contradicts the comics all the time!" The show contradicts the show all the time, as acknowledged by Andy. To name an example: One minute you've got low tiers like Trixie messing with Ponies manes and the next manes are very difficult to cast magic on. Those comics that are retconned get retconned. This doesn't retcon them all, only the ones that specifically were.

Let me put this in easier to understand terms: Hasbro is claiming that the comics are canon until the show contradicts them yes? "Until the show contradicts it." Now what does this statement mean? Until. Until means that something has yet to happen. That means therefore, that the show has full authority to make an episode that contradicts the events within a comic, while making that specific comic non-canon.

So does a few comics becoming rendered non-canon automatically make the comics as a whole non-canon? Even with retcons as severe as Sombra? NO. Because the show is still following the logic established by Hasbro. Hasbro's logic remains not only uncontradicted, but followed. This is a non-argument.

"We cannot take an unofficial twitter tweet seriously" This isn't like an author claiming character A can destroy universes when they've only destroyed planets, or character A is superior to character B despite them never interacting, or vague statements about a character or technique being ftl. This is simply the guy making the comics telling us what Hasbro told him. Nothing more, nothing less.

Long story short: Context of the tweet is far more important than the fact that it's a tweet. To judge it's seriousness based soley on the fact that it's a tweet is intellectually dishonest. Honestly we need a reform of the WoG system as a whole, that doesn't judge bssed on source.

To give some comments Legends of Magic is probably canon since Sunburst finds the journal used in the season 7 finale and the campfire story episode is dedicated to building up the Pillars of Equestria that originated in that series.

Well if this goes though IDW has 4-A feats up the wazooe for Discord and one of them can even scale to Celestia and Luna (mainly Future POS and him devouring all the light in all universes seems bare minimum 4-A to me.)

I think? There's no exact timeframe for it so we'd have to make some assumptions

Should note he was planning on doing this to the entire MLP multiverse (which in the comics has been established to be infinite several times)

Should be, it High 3-A getting merged with Low 2-C anyways? Maybe Bill and Discord will get that fight afterall. Too bad Discord blitzes the shit out of him with infinite speed (need it for infinite universes)

and I'm hoping that doesn't jinx it

The POS feat would scale to a decent number of characters btw since Knightmare Night establishes that Eris beat POS with Daybreaker's help and reshaped his world off panel and Luna made Eris completely shit herself when she got her stolen magic back.

Even Tempest Shadow briefly fought Daybreaker with only minor injuries https://imgur.com/a/1RK5vHo

I'm getting so antsy since no one beyond MLP fans have commented. We need some staff members in on this. If only Darkanine hadn't left.

I have never read any of the comics and an like three seasons behind in the show, i dont think i'll be of much help lol

WeeklyBattles said:
I have never read any of the comics and an like three seasons behind in the show, i dont think i'll be of much help lol
You don't really need to keep up with the show for this. The non-canocity on this wiki is based on tweets from Jim and Bobby saying they are seperate (which again, is rendered null by the very company hiring them). Just need you to be knowledgable in what is canon and what isn't.

You could say Hasbro is a greater power, but I think author intent outweighs that. Also, the fact that there are literally no feats in the show that even compare to that of the comics, I don't think you can really use comic feats as evidence for the show characters' tiers. Sperate keys would be cool though.

I am definitely not willing to consider the comics as canon, given how regularly they completely contradict the show, whether it is Sombra, the Dazzlings, or otherwise. It would completely mess up all coherence and continuity for our profile pages, which would also now constantly have to be updated from story to story, and strongly go against our standard conventions for these types of situations.

So my apologies, but this is firmly rejected, period. The Hasbro executives clearly does not keep in-depth track of what they are talking about in this case.

You can ask Azathoth to comment here if you wish though.

Btw: Please only add the regular directly related topics to the bottom of our discussion threads.

Antvasima said:
I am definitely not willing to consider the comics as canon, given how regularly they completely contradict the show, whether it is Sombra, the Dazzlings, or otherwise. It would completely mess up all coherence and continuity for our profile pages, which would also now constantly have to be updated from story to story, and strongly go against our standard conventions for these types of situations.
So my apologies, but this is firmly rejected, period. The Hasbro executives clearly does not keep in-depth track of what they are talking about in this case.

You can ask Azathoth to comment here if you wish though.
No more than the show contradicts itself. Not a single example you posted contradicts Hasbro's logic on the canocity of the comics. It falls right in line with their logic of "canon until contradicted". Even Big Jim has gone on record saying "everything is canon until it's not" though it's hard to gauge how serious he was.

As for the rest of your conscerns: With all due respect Ant, I think you're severely overexaggerating how serious of a problem this is. All we have to do is ensure the feat isn't made non-canon by the show. We did this in the past before throwing them out completely, why would it be so hard to go back to doing the same thing? And with MLP ending soon, this will be far easier since there won't be new episodes to potentially contradict the comics.

Why are you letting the difficulty of this task be a reason for rejecting this in the first place? That's never a good reason. It's not the main reason, but you have clearly made it one.

And this matters how? Why are we arguing they can't keep track of their own statements? Is there evidence suggesting this?

Personally I think only Legends of Magic is canon due to the heavy tie in with Season 7 and because nothing contradicts it in the show. But that doesn't mean the FIM comics are canon as many of the storylines have been contradicted in the show.

Again, this would be far too confusing, incoherent, and against our standard conventions. I am definitely not going to accept this, no matter how much I am bothered about it.

I strongly recommend that you contact Azathoth about it though.

Antvasima said:
Again, this would be far too confusing, incoherent, and against our standard conventions. I am definitely not going to accept this, no matter how much I am bothered about it.
I strongly recommend that you contact Azathoth about it though.
How would it be incoherent? Confusing? You keep telling me this, but you aren't explaining how it is so bad. The show is already fairly inconsistent with itself, yet we can make comprehensible profiles for them. We can handle making consistent profiles for stuff as inconsistent as Marvel or DC but not the comic of a cartoon?

I did.

Because we would constantly have to revise our profiles depending on what is or isn't contradicted at the moment, and the comicbook stories are intertwined with each other, so if quite a lot of them are contradicted, all of them are.

They also have a very different tone and form of storytelling that does not fit well with the TV show, and it is strongly against our conventions to mix different continiities for canon profiles, so we cannot suddenly declare for our visitors that we consider almost everything acceptable, including that the changelings were spawned from a disgusting tree, for example.

You are free to create separate profiles for the comicbooks, but not to mix the continuities together.

@Kepekley23

Thank you, although I would personally prefer input from Azathoth in this case.

Like I said, the show is ending soon, which is going to make this a lot easier. Not every comic is intertwined. Quite a few of them are standalone or simple side stories.

Ant this is different. To give an example: This isn't the same thing as mixing continuity from something like a video game into it's manga varient. In this case, the former continity is explicitly known to be canon except under a specific circumstance. That circumstance being that the events in the former continity are retconned by the main continity.

^^Continued: And besides, are we really talking about going against conventional canon when we use the Dragonball Super Anime as canon? As opposed to the traditional manga? "But the DBS manga is different, it was called canon." What a surprise: So are the MLP comics. They have statements that break conventional canon too.

Finally, the changelings having a stupid backstory is completely irrelevant here. If there are stupid or ridiculous events in the comics that are not rendered non-canon, then they would still remain canon. Being "ridiculous" should not be a factor in deciding their canocity.

We consider the DBS anime and manga as separate canons. That is all.

As I have mentioned before, the comicbooks tend to reference the TV show a lot, but the TV show systematically ignores and contradicts the comicbooks.

I am not at all comfortable with turning the profiles into composite versions, and insert lots of likely very unreliable backstories and similar, but you are probably free to create ones for the comicbook versions of the characters. Why do you consider that such a problem in comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back