• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Hunter (Bloodborne) vs The Hunter (Monster Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going with Monster Hunter because of the vast variety of equipment choices that can prepare them for almost anything.

While the Monster Hunter has wider versatility, the Bloodborne Hunter has magical attacks and resins that they can apply to their weapon that could be devastating to them, there is also the fact that the Bloodborne Hunter can afford to be relentless, considering their parasitic attribute to upon striking an opponent, they regenerate. It should aslo be noted since it isn't exactly fully specified, the Monster Hunter has only SuperHuman combat speed, and that their reaction speed is MHS+, unlike the Bloodborne Hunter who's speed just states MHS+ overall.

There is also the fact the Bloodborne Hunter is excellent at countering and parrying their opponent, so the Monster Hunter would have to be more on the defensive in order to avoid unnecessary damage whereas previously explained, that wouldn't be the case for the latter.

My vote is for the Bloodborne Hunter.

The Monster Hunters have faced incredibly strong attacks from the monsters that can rival any magical attack, such as the Lightning balls from Fatalis. The Monster Hunter's versatility can range to any number of things, and depending on the weapon choice, they can be prepared for anything. Need good defence, go with Lance. Need good speed, go with Dual Swords. The Monster Hunter carries a variety of useful items, the most basic of which are used for healing, traps and stat boosts, but there are other things such as smoke bombs that can restrict an opponent's vision, and poison smoke bombs that do the same thing plus poison. Lightning Rods can be placed tactically to put the terrain into their advantage, as well as both shock and pitfall traps.

Monster Hunters don't go all out on the attack, rather than waiting for an opening. There are monsters way faster than the Monster Hunters, but they still get around it, not least by useful skills such as Evasion +3 and such. They can wear armour that can provide resistances to any element, and pretty good defence as well.

The fact that Hunters can take down creatures such as Fatalis should be enough proof to how powerful they are.

Yes, but that implies that they can just automatically switch their entire battle strategy, armor, and weapons in the middle of a heated battle. For the sake of the battle making sense the Monster Hunter should be restricted to a certain layout, much like the Bloodborne Hunter.

The Bloodborne Hunter can wield the Blade of Mercy, which inflicts Arcane damage, much like the variety of their spells, this damage is different from Lightning and therefore the Monster Hunter has no assured resistance. They also carry a large amount of healing items have they the need to use them and can use Beast Blood Pellets when on the offensive to dish out higher output, poisoning won't do much good because they commonly carry Antidotes or the Choir Bell.

They also have the Old Hunter's Bone, which allows them to teleport short distances, effectively making them more agile and able to throw the Monster Hunter off-guard.

That's the difference between the two, whereas the Monster Hunter don't go all out on the attack, the Bloodborne Hunter doesn't have to but effectively can, if they are struck with a blow they have more to gain from it than their opponent with their life-leech. It's also worth noting that if this Bloodborne Hunter has Numbing Mists in their cosumables/throwables, they can prevent their opponent from healing entirely.

Using techniques such as A Call Beyond and Augur of Ebrietas will apply pressure to their opponent and will wear them down quickly, seeing as they are Arcane Damage. The Monster Hunter will have a very hard time in this matchup because of the Bloodborne Hunter's quick, pressuring, and adaptive abilities.

If you say that they have to use a fixed setup, I'll need to know what the Bloodbourne hunter is using. If neither of them have any knowledge of the opponent, I'll go with Molten Tigrex, Furious Rajang, or White Fatalis armour. Those, when speced correctly, are very powerful. The weapon for this battle would be a Sword and Shield, being the most versatile weapon. Teostra's Emblem seems like a decent choice.

So, if arcane is different to the Monster Hunter elements, then the Hunter gets a deafult zero resistance, with no positive or negative effects, meaning that regular defence will do just fine, and prevent the damage the same way as physical. Monster Hunters carry a large number of healing items as well, and when paired with Speed Eating +2 (Which molten tigrex armour grants), the Hunter doesn't need to worry about being hit while using them. Power/Armour Charms/Talons can be used to increase their attack and defence quite a bit. Hunters carry antidotes as well, plus the antidote horns, and the weapon I've selected does blast damage, which can blow up the Bloodbourne Hunter.

Teleport shot distances. Nothing Monster Hunters haven't dealt with before, especially when dealing with HC Kirin.

Hunters are good at being patient, and making a battle last a long time goes in the Monster Hunter's favour, since they have quite a bit of stamina (Endless with Dash Juice), while the Bloodbourne Hunter has considerably less. SnS hunters can go all out with the attack, because they have the advantage of evading out of combos, which when combined with Evade +3, provides very good invunerability for half a second. Life-Leach sounds quite similar to something the Monster Hunters can do; honing for Life. Plus, Hunters have dealt with enemies healing themselves before, with the likes of Qurupeco and such. Disabling healing sounds like the same effect as Stink, which the hunter can just remove with Deoderants.

Not sure how powerful those abilities are, but as I've confirmed, arcane damage will just be determined by the hunter's defence, which is pretty high with the sets I mentioned. The Hunter's patience will wear the Bloodbourne Hunter's health down gradually, and eventually win.

That's wrong because you cannot judge Arcane damage based on physical resistance values of the Monster Hunter's armor, since they are explicitly different, while a weapon may have physical output, the Arcane is a side damage, and therefore cannot be applied the same way. The best way to put it is that the Monster Hunter will have no resistance to the Arcane, but resistance to other types of damage such as Fire, Lightning, and Physical.

Follow by this as the build, I suppose, with the adding of Numbing Mists: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63ezA2DLrr8

This provides the Hunter with alot of ranged ammunition that they are able to use to apply reasonable pressure.

While Stink and Numbing Mists have the same effect, how they achieve the effect is different, Stink is caused by a vile stench, whereas Numbing Mists are just achieved with contact and numb the opponent's life essence, preventing the use of healing. Meaning that Deoderants won't have much effect.

The abilities are extremely powerful in terms of output, and this output will not be hindered by the Monster Hunter's armor since they do not display any resistance to it, and suggesting that since they can't resist it means it's converted to physical damage makes no sense.

The Bloodborne Hunter can afford to be patient with this set, and can use the Executioner's Gloves as a homing attack, which can be used to bait their opponent into another attack.

Either way, this match is close, with both characters having similar abilities, but I still believe that after a good battle, the Bloodborne Hunter has this, even with their life-leech properties, they still carry an abundance of Blood Vials, I'd say it's even more fair with the fact that the Bloodborne Hunter isn't using Blue Elixir (grants invisibility for 30 seconds.)

6.5/10 I'd say.

My reasoning for the defensive abilities comes from this:

In Monster Hunter, when you are hit by an elemental attack, say, a fireball, the damage is calculated like this: First, the physical defence is taken into account, and that determines the base damage. The fire resistance determines how much extra or less damage is taken. As the hunter has 0 resistance to arcane, they take no extra damage and no less damage. If you haven't played Monster Hunter, know that you start with 0 resistance to everything, and gain either positive OR negative resistance.

Now, even if deoderant doesn't work, there's no reason why portable steam bombs wouldn't. PSBs remove ALL negative status effects, and they last for a long time, allowing the Hunter to continuously renew themselves. Also, assumung that our Monster Hunter has a weapon honed for life, they don't need to use items to heal, instead, healing themselves when they score a hit on an enemy.

Now It's my turn to add some abilities. The Monster Hunters carry a large assortment of traps and status items, including Shock Traps, Pitfall Traps, Paralysis Knives, Sleep Knives, Poison Knives, Poison Smoke Bombs, Lightning Rods, Tranquiliser Bombs, Painballs (for tracking), Flash Bombs, Sonic Bombs, Barrel Bombs, and more. As this hunter is using a SnS, they can use all of these while the weapon is drawn, at very short notice. They could be fighting, when the Monster Hunter could hurl a few paralysis knives or sleep knives with their shield arm, inflicting that effect on the Bloodbourne Hunter. After they're paralysed or asleep, the Monster Hunter could lay down a large supply of Barrel Bombs, and blow up the Bloodbourne Hunter. If the Bloodbourne Hunter doesn't have hearing protection, sonic bombs can stun them, and flash bombs can temporarily blind them.

The Monster Hunter can riddle the area with traps and lightning rods, and make the environment very much in their favour. While the Bloodbourne Hunter is concerned with avoiding them, the Monster Hunter can riddle the Bloodbourne Hunter with statuses.

No, I have not played Monster Hunter, and I'm assuming that they are capable of using all of those traps listed in one loadout?

My reasoning on the defensive properties of armor is based on the fact that in the game, Physical resistance does nothing for you when against different types of damage, and will instead bypass it.

The Bloodborne Hunter has survived blows from strong projectile weapons such as the Cannon, so I don't see Bombs being much of an issue.

What I see being the main problem with these (aside from sound) is that the Bloodborne Hunter can dodge these things fairly easily, whereas the use of Executioner's Gloves can bait them into a Numbing Mist, which is a queue for the Hunter to rush their opponent.

Since they only have Superhuman travel speed, I don't see them keeping away from the Bloodborne Hunter's homing attacks.

In Monster Hunter, cannons are actually a thing, and they do puny damage compared to Barrel Bombs (They're pretty much barrels bigger than people filled with explosives).

There are a ton of monsters with massive speed values, but the Monster Hunters have always found a way around it. Kirin is massively hypersonic, yet the hunters still can hit it. Monster Hunters prefer to dodge attacks at the last second, going though them. Monster Hunters can peform evasive manouvres that provide invunerability for a certain amount of time.

Homing attacks can still be countered by simply getting the attack to collide with something else. If there's no terrain advantage, then they could use their shield.

Now, the Monster Hunter has several items that can go with each other. Sonic or Flash bombs can be chained into paralysis knives, after which they could set a trap right underfoot. While they are paralysed, they could tranquilise the Bloodbourne Hunter, and wake them up with several Barrel Bomb L+s. Now, if the hunter was to set up a portable steam bomb and surround that with traps, they could easily have the area advantage.

Also, I don't know if you're aware, but with the weapon I've chosen, if the hunter lands enough attacks, the blast particles will scatter, allowing the Monster Hunter to ignite them, and the Bloodbourne Hunter will go off in an explosion. It might not be enough to kill them, but it will do a lot of damage, and leave them open to further attacks, which can also trigger further blast explosions.

My problem with the argument that they can just block the homing attacks is that they have to focus on them primarily in order to minimalize damage, which leaves the wide open to an attack, this is the sole purpose of them.

They would have to have the terrain prepared for their strategy or it they won't get the chance to act it out effectively with the constant pressure.

Would evasive maneuveurs providing invicibility frames not be considered a game mechanic and therefore shouldn't be applied?

Well, technically, it isn't invunerability, rather than absolute evasion. If timed right, Monster Hunters can evade through fireballs, massive body slams from creatures like Lao-Shan Lung, Jhen Mohran, and Dalamadur, and every other attack in the game.

When it comes to getting the terrain advantage, sure, infinite prep time lets Monster Hunters beat almost anything their tier, but they are skilled enough to do it in the middle of battle, even against very powerful monsters such as Elder Dragons.

Also, if the sole purpose of the homing projectiles is to leave them open to attack, why didn't you say so before? The Hunters from Monster Hunter have faced far worse combos in the form of Rajang and Zinogre. When the Monster Hunters are able to take out two Furious Golden Rajang at once, they're pretty good at avoiding combos.

I was exaggerating when I said sole purpose, but that's what that specific spell is used for in PvP.

Well I would say that the Bloodborne Hunter poses a different kind of threat, they are great at countering their opponents, they could just parry their opponent's blow and quickly perform a finisher, which is something the Monster Hunter needs to be mindful of when dealing with their combos.

Now, if the Bloodbourne Hunter could parry an attack, the Monster Hunter could quickly to an evasive roll. The earliest oppourtunity to evade away after glancing off a hard surface is about half a second. The Bloodbourne hunter would need to be faster than that when performing their finisher.

With MHS+ speeds, I'm fairly certain that the Bloodborne Hunter could perform such a thing in that timeframe.

Now I'm not saying that it isn't possible for the Monster Hunter to survive this attack, but it will be critical and could potentially kill them.

Well, the Monster Hunters can just use the skill Guts, which stops them from being insta-killed by a fatal blow. After that, they can get away and heal up. Plus, I think that we should use in-game mechanics when it comes to attacks. How much time does it take to pull off a finisher after parrying?

The in-game animation of the finisher takes let's say two or so seconds, but takes less than that to activate because it just requires a button press to register.

Not that I think the Monster Hunter will get away, because the initial strike of the animation describes the Bloodborne Hunter jabbing their hand inside the opponent then ripping it out to finish, but again, it depends on if the Monster Hunter wasn't just misted, who's to say that the Bloodborne Hunter would give them the chance to get back to full and wouldn't just keep barraging them?

I'm gonna say Monster Hunter hunter. S/he takes down large monsters on a daily basis, while Bloodbourne hunter only does it once to get through the plot.

Monster Hunters equipped with SnSs are able to use items with their weapon drawn. As long as their left arm (sword arm) is free to fight and parry, they could theoretically heal up with items by using their right arm (shield arm). They could drink potions or give a few toots on their health horn.

Hunters can also boost their attack and defence by a lot with items, so the Bloodbourne Hunter should be wary. The Monster Hunter could stun the BBH with shield bashes to the head, and follow up by eating a might pill and doing a charge finisher (A charged jump attack that does A LOT of damage).

Monster Hunter hunter wins for me, since we are using G-Rank. Those "humans" can keep up and fight off THE most powerful monster in the franchise, White Fatalis. And White Fatty is relativistic. Plus all the others points pointed out by Lasatar, and the MH Hunter wins it.

bump, I guess.

Are we going to end this fight, saying it's been resolved? Or are there any more arguments?

I'm still on the side of BB, but majority vote currently resides with MH, so I don't know.

Monster Hunters have a superior item diversity. They can manipulate the battle in their favour.

So,

I vote MH,

SMG votes MH,

Talonmask votes BB.

So far, MH is winning. I think that we should wait for some more input, though, since 3 votes is pretty low.

Flames of power64 said:
Lasatar said:
Final Bump. If there's no more input, we should put this ubder MH's victories.
Sounds good to me.
I don't know if that would be allowed. According to the rules, you need at least 7 votes with valid reasoning to add a victory.

I vote for hunter(Bloodborne) because of superior speed and magic gives him versatility.

Is that thing about dragon element true?

"The dragon element directly attacks the mind, and so creatures that are intelligent take more damage from drago"

If yes Monster Hunter takes this due to Hunter's(Bloodborne) insight.

Yep, the lore about the dragon element is true. BannedLagiacrus of the Monster Hunter Wiki can testify to that, and he researches the lore A LOT.

K, looks like the scores are:

MH: 3

BB: 1

3 more votes required. Flames of power64, you made the page. What's your vote?

Also, if we're going dragon element, I'm changing the Monster Hunter's weapon to Twinbane Twilight or the White Fatalis sword. Twinbane Twilight is a pair of dual swords with both dragon and blast (two elements the bloodbourne hunter has not encountered before and has no counter to. It is made from crimson fatalis and teostra materials), white the White Fatalis sword is an exceptionally powerful sword and shield with amazing dragon element (not to mention that it's made from WHITE FATALIS MATERIALS).

Lasatar said:
K, looks like the scores are:
MH: 3

BB: 1

3 more votes required. Flames of power64, you made the page. What's your vote?

Also, if we're going dragon element, I'm changing the Monster Hunter's weapon to Twinbane Twilight or the White Fatalis sword. Twinbane Twilight is a pair of dual swords with both dragon and blast (two elements the bloodbourne hunter has not encountered before and has no counter to. It is made from crimson fatalis and teostra materials), white the White Fatalis sword is an exceptionally powerful sword and shield with amazing dragon element (not to mention that it's made from WHITE FATALIS MATERIALS).
The Monster Hunter has my Vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back