• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Hollow Knight faces The Radiance but not really

Peppersalt43

They/Them
The Hollow : 0
The Light : 7
Incon : 0

Giga Shynee used
Speed equalized
Starting distance is 20 meters with no LoS
Both characters have prior knowledge

Let's see if this ends up working. If not, I'll pair Shynee up with Bubblie for some running water

Last edited:
Pfft...definitely amused by the references, but I'm not sure how Giga Shynee even has a wincon here.

Low Godly for it's main form makes it unkillable, and the infinite stamina means that even repeated destructions will do nothing to wear it down. I don't know how the 'Source' part works with it being truly destroyed, what is the 'Source'? And is it even available to be targeted in this context?

There's also the paralysis abilities, while other PAD characters might resist those effects, Giga Shynee is not one of them. Hollow Boy gets the effect off and Giga Shynee can't do anything anymore. Cure MIGHT work, since it can remove paralyzing effects in PAD, but that's only a temporary solution even if it does work.

Giga Shynee at least has the NFI to hit it, quite a number of spirits and ghosts in their home verse with intangibility so that's not a problem, and due to Unknown stats for the Hollow Boy probably 'AP stomps', not that it's worth much thanks to Regeneration. Giga Shynee's ability to both heal and to purge negative status effects MIGHT counter the Ghost-Touch, but that's only spitballing, It's also likely smarter judging on the intelligence rating, being an actual mindful combatant character compared to the vague and possibly mindless form of the Hollow Boy, which prior knowledge would be a great boon in Shynee's corner with that in mind. It can fly around for mobility, and its range options are massively better...But I can list advantages all day, the Low-Godly and Dure Neg kill options mean they all seem to not matter, not unless there's a factor about the 'Source' that I don't understand.

...also, not sure if Shynee can make use of the sunlight weakness. Giga Shynee CAN unleash light blasts, but I'm not sure they're technically 'sunlight'.

Can't even 'incap' using real sunlight to force it into its rest state thing since you need 24 hours for that to count. Shynee can't make day last longer.

I think it's an ability stomp for the Hollow Boy. Shynee might have some counters up its non-existent sleeves, but infinite stamina and Low-Godly regen mean they'll only last as long as Shynee doesn't slip up or get tired...

...I am curious what it would transform into to try to mentally mess with the Shynee though, since they're more of a monster species than a character...Another Shynee maybe? Kinda funny to think about.

The slimes in-character do flee from fights in-game. That might be the only play here, but SBA does not allow that. For the best, they deserve it since fleeing and denying me loot gets old REAL fast.

It's the object the ghost can come and go from. Lockwood and Co. series happened in England and the Hollow Boy doesn't seem to have teleportation. He can probably come back but he'll be in another continent

And if I'm wrong, I'll bring in Bubblie
Okay, so the Low Godly brings it back to it's Source? If that's the case, Shynee would have a wincon via technical BFR

What about the Dimensional Travel? Can the 'Other Side' be used to come back out in other locations? Or is it ONLY the Source itself?

Okay so there's not multiple sources it can use, there is only the one.

So...I suppose as long as it works like that, that a destruction would regen it at the source we have a debate. Do we have knowledgeable members who can confirm?

Destruction would probably make it regenerate at the source, yeah. At least mechanically that makes sense and I don't spontaneously remember a counter-example.
However, ghosts can not exist far from their source to begin with. It's part of their standard equipment for a reason.
So you can't have a ghost start in one country while the source is in another. The source has to be present on the battlefield.

So the bad news is that BFR upon defeat doesn't work.
The good news is that the source of the hollow boy is probably some random bone lying around on the battlefield. As long as Shynee finds that and smashes it to pieces they win.

Well OP gave them Prior Knowledge, so they should know that's how it works, so I guess we have a debate again.

Well OP gave them Prior Knowledge, so they should know that's how it works, so I guess we have a debate again.
OK let's start. I chose this Shynee key because one of its attacks is called "Sun Aura". How long does it last and how much can it be used?

OK let's start. I chose this Shynee key because one of its attacks is called "Sun Aura". How long does it last and how much can it be used?
It's a passive ability, Gifa Shynee's Leader Skill. It has no trigger condition, so without power null its always on.

Problem is, I'm not sure it's comparable to real 'sunlight' just because of the name, it's a passive stat booster, not an attack.

Problem is, I'm not sure it's comparable to real 'sunlight' just because of the name, it's a passive stat booster, not an attack.
I mean even if it's not an attack, if it's nature is still sunlight, it'll probably still work

Hmm... I'll probably bring in Bubblie. Running water is probably easier to make than confirming sunlight

I mean even if it's not an attack, if it's nature is still sunlight, it'll probably still work

Hmm... I'll probably bring in Bubblie. Running water is probably easier to make than confirming sunlight
I mean we probably don't need it now. Shynee's NPI should work on the Hollow Boy's Intangibility since it's very similar to PAD's Lit monsters. It being sun or not probably doesn't matter, Shynee can hit it in a way it can't defend against as far as I can tell.

With Unknown physicals, Shynee at least has a confirmed AP advantage, they can't put them down for good thanks to the regen, but they can at least hit them and slow them down by forcing them to regenerate.

With prior knowledge and the situation with what a Source is, Shynee definitely has a wincon now, they just need to destroy it, which should be pretty easy considering the generously superhuman stats vs what's probably just a bone. I don't think adding Bubblie is really nessisary to make this fair.

With that in mind, I think I lean Shynee now. The source should be easy to destroy, and even if Shynee doesn't know where it is, a good attack on the Hollow Boy should force it to regenerate and reveal that information. Shynee's purification can probably help it fend off the ghostly effects of it's presence before it's too late, outranging with light blasts can keep Shynee safe, and once they know where to aim? A mass attack will mean they certainly won't be missing. Honestly an AOE Mass Attack might accidently destroy the Source early without Shynee realizing they hit it.

If Hollow Boy gets in close long enough it's game over, but Shynee with prior knowledge out ranges, out skill/intelligence, and out stats while knowing enough about what to do they can probably keep that from happening.

Shynee light nukes the Source the moment it knows where it is, no sunlight or running water needed, I think.

What does Shynee do against Malaise and Ghost-Lock? And why does the Hollow Boy not have corresponding powers listed in the P&A?

Last edited:
As listed above, Shynee's Purification with Cure has worked on similar effects.

The descriptions make Malaise and Ghost Lock seem range dependant, so Cure combo'd with Shynee's own superior range, AOE option, and the spamability of it's abilities means it should probably be able to shake the effect, back off, and ruin the Hollow Boy's day

As listed above, Shynee's Purification with Cure has worked on similar effects.

The descriptions make Malaise and Ghost Lock seem range dependant, so Cure combo'd with Shynee's own superior range, AOE option, and the spamability of it's abilities means it should probably be able to shake the effect, back off, and ruin the Hollow Boy's day
You mention paralysis, but what about the mental aspect of the Malaise? And one of the problems with Malaise is that you might not notice it's happening until it's too late, making active precautions difficult.

Also, could Shynee be tricked by the shapeshifting? Or made to hesitate at least?

Last edited:
You mention paralysis, but what about the metal aspect of the Malaise? And one of the problems with Malaise is that you might not notice it's happening until it's too late, making active precautions difficult.

Also, could Shynee be tricked by the shapeshifting? Or made to hesitate at least?
The mental part is a bit iffier, PAD's blanketed approach to what purification can work on gives it effectiveness on a lot of abilities, and mental attacks have been shown in the series before to trigger 'binds' before, so I can't imagine that it can't at least help if not shake the effect entirely. Menace comes to mind first, but there's likely other examples of mental related paralyzing effects.

But ontop of that, Shynee is in a SBA position here and has prior knowledge about the Hollow Boy, which is the main reason I voted as I did. It knows it's fighting, and it knows the effects the Hollow Boy can have on it, and it should know The Source is the real target in this fight. Ontop of that, it's a species in a combat centric verse where 'wild' monsters fight a whole host of opponents, including members of their own species, I'm not sure what the Hollow Boy can even transform into that Shynee, both in a SBA mindset and with prior knowledge, won't throw hands with on sight. If you're used to fighting a wide variety of opponent options, you're in an automatic combat mindset, and you know your opponent can shapeshift, you're probably going to just attack anything. Especially since prior knowledge means Shynee should know that proximity to the Hollow Boy is bad. They're 'wild' but still have humanlike intelligence, it should be able to rationalize to not take risks with all this information in mind.

Yeah, you're right. With full prior knowledge a trick-reliant character like the hollow boy probably can't do much here.

And just to get this concluded

Light Slime FRA

And that's grace, thank you everyone

{Also in case you're wondering, this is allowed based on this thread}

Back