• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Gunslinger vs. The Finest Marksman in the West (Roland Deschain vs. Rex Marksley)

Ooooo this is tough...but Rex may be a better shot than Roland...

How does Roland's mind manip work?

Basically goes like every other Roland fight.

Both one-shot, and via the powers of extreme skill and ULTRA INSTINCT Roland is more likely to do so.

King's giving Roland some buffs, his mindhax is the minor hypnotism+a bit of mind reading when the mind reading gets accepted.

WeeklyBattles said:
@DMUA Im tempted to say Rex is more skilled than Roland
Can he ricochet a bullet off a bullet mid air in order to counteract The Walking Man catching all his bullets like a boss?

You know I really don't like listening to songs for research.

Usually they just sink into my mind and I have no idea what just happened in the last 5 or so minutes.

Post the lyrical bits you want to point out.

I can provide some.

"His parents then let him shoot the empty cans out on their fence but Rex trick shot out all the nails so out the fence all their cows went"

"He became a gun for hire and a hero whereever he roamed he disarmed forty bandits one time with two gunshots all on his own"

"He jammed the guns that fired his way by shooting bullets into their barrels they say"

"That giant copper ore golem, oh it was a fright, till Rex projectiled pick axes with dynamite"

Rex's feats include:

• Disassembling the fence around his family's farm by shooting all of the nails out of it using nothing but trick shots when he was just a child
  • Creating automatic weapons so that he could perform extreme feats of marksmanship faster without the need to reload his weapons as much
  • Being able to disarm forty bandits with only two bullets
  • Jamming people's guns by shooting bullets down the barrels of their guns. After they were already firing at him.

Roland can shoot his own bullets in midair in order to redirect them, and managed to shoot two Twizzler-sized crucifixes that the preaching woman in Tull was holding while she was in the middle of shaking them at him. He's also casually shot through a sniper scope before.

That said, Rex appears to be a better shot. The only other dude I know with marksmanship feats that good is Vash the Stampede. (Shame he's not in the same tier as either of these two.)

I want to wait until Roland's new additions are accepted before I say anything though, since there's some stuff missing from his profile right now that may have some bearing on the match.

Tbh, I've got all the support I should require. All I need at this point is an admin to say "ay, go ahead" on the CRT, and I can start adding to his profile right now.

Well King just added the Roland revisions after a few months so....

Well, since this is open again, I guess I'll give my vote.

Rex has better gunslinging abilities. That much we already agreed on. However, thanks to the mind-reading additions, Roland effectively has precognition due to being able to see Rex's next move before the latter even knows he's moving. He'll know where the guy is going to shoot before it happens and will be able to react accordingly. Roland's instinctive reaction means there isn't a whole lot else that's going to surprise him, either.

There's a good chance Roland (and maybe Rex too, depending on what his tactics are like) will try and seek cover if neither of them is blown to hell within the first two seconds of the fight. If that happens, Roland has the advantage. He can easily locate Rex using his enhanced senses and his tracking/trailcraft skills before the latter has a chance to see him first, and he'll know if Rex is observing him at any point thanks to his extrasensory abilities that allow him to tell when he's being watched or followed. Roland also has him beat in actual battle strategy; The man was already outsmarting John Farson's men by the time he was in his late teens and was leading troops in battle before he had even made it to thirty, and since then he's been travelling Mid-World and killing people, beasts and robots for over three hundred years. I should really rewrite his intelligence section at some point, because what's currently there really doesn't do him justice.

Actually, another thing that's never really occurred to me before now is that Central Park has a fuckton of trees in it, along with some isolated statues, at least one boathouse, numerous restroom areas, an entire ******* museum, and plenty of other things to hide behind. You'd have to start the match with them both standing in Sheep Meadow in order for them to have absolutely no chance of getting to cover before the opponent snipes them. (SBA says that won't happen, by the way. Sheep Meadow doesn't span several hundred meters, which is how far apart SBA puts them in this fight.)

But, anyway, I think Roland wins in the end. They're both capable of one-shotting with their weapons, but Roland's mind-reading abilities give him a leg up over Rex's trickshots. (Would he even be capable of ricocheting bullets off trees without them getting embedded in the trunk somewhere?) If the fight lasts long enough for cat-and-mouse tactics to come into play (which it should), Roland's got Rex beat thanks to his tracking skills, superhuman senses and far superior battle experience, on top of his other advantages he has right out of the gate.

Well heck

It's been awhile since I've been bambozled by text walls

King wins for reasons above

Rex ricocheted his bullets off of his house which was almost definitely made of wood due to the time period he's from so yes he can ricochet off of wood

Anyway, the Gunslinger now has three votes to the Finest Marksman's zero. OP should probably be updated.

MrKingOfNegativity said:

Does that mean we might get a solid Low 2-C as per Roland's guns or is it still too vague?

Why would Roland's guns become Low 2-C?

Los' physical tier has yet to be decided. All we've managed to agree on is that he needs a massive downgrade from where he's at.

@Zach:

Yeah, but that's done with magic. Physically Los' should be much weaker than that, going by the evidence.

Anyway, this isn't the place to talk about all that. It'll come up next time a CRT is posted.

Back