• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
I wasn't referring to you when I said it should probably be absorption; I've noticed multiple people call it null in the past and I just thought about it probably being absorption. I wasn't saying that to anyone directly.

The Dovahkiin resisting it would be an anti feat because he clearly can't resist the magic absorption as it takes all his magic instantly compared to his health which it takes away incredibly slowly.

Considering how Morokei noticed the Dragonborn enter the temple while being on the other side of it. The Dovahkiin being able to sneak up on him doesn't make any sense, and anything else the Dragonborn would have tried would have caused him to get hit as the Staff is a hit scan (meaning it instantly crosses the screen in a single frame) and is contentious. Unless Morokei has terrible aim and selective enhanced senses I find it far more likely that the health absorption is just weaker than the Magic absorption. Rather than the Dovahkiin effortlessly one hit sneak killing a guy that was both power nulling him and could notice him from the other side of a temple.

TOAAPRESENCE1 said:
are you using game mechanichs over the lore?
I'm at college right now. So in about an hour I'm not going to be able to respond as I'll be in class. But the lore says nothing about how potent the health absorption is. It just says it can absorb health along with magic. The low 1-C magic absorption feat comes from the game; and it is stated to only absorb health and magic so it absorbing things like the Thu'um or powers that don't need magic isn't stated or shown and is even contradicted. Yes lore is more important than gameplay but the lore doesn't contradict the gameplay here, all it says is that it can absorb health and magic; it doesn't say that health absorption is low 1-C and the magic absorption isn't stated to be low 1-C either but is shown in the game to be low 1-C and it instantly absorbs a low 2-C with zero difficulty unlike the health absorption which does barely anything to that very same low 2-C.

Keeweed said:
I wasn't referring to you when I said it should probably be absorption; I've noticed multiple people call it null in the past and I just thought about it probably being absorption. I wasn't saying that to anyone directly.

The Dovahkiin resisting it would be an anti feat because he clearly can't resist the magic absorption as it takes all his magic instantly compared to his health which it takes away incredibly slowly.

Considering how Morokei noticed the Dragonborn enter the temple while being on the other side of it. The Dovahkiin being able to sneak up on him doesn't make any sense, and anything else the Dragonborn would have tried would have caused him to get hit as the Staff is a hit scan (meaning it instantly crosses the screen in a single frame) and is contentious. Unless Morokei has terrible aim and selective enhanced senses I find it far more likely that the health absorption is just weaker than the Magic absorption. Rather than the Dovahkiin effortlessly one hit sneak killing a guy that was both power nulling him and could notice him from the other side of a temple.
You can't be serious, right? So your reason on how the Dovahkiin can't dodge it is because of some game mechanic rather than any actual feat in lore that proves the Staff having faster combat speed than the Dovahkiin's reaction speed? And again, we still don't know how the fight went down, so any argument about how the Dovahkiin getting hit by the Staff of Magnus is only speculation unless you can give me proof that the Staff actually hit the Dovahkiin.

Well the Dovahkiin couldn't have snuck up on him as Morokei could tell where the Dovahkiin was from the other side of a temple. The Dovahkiin couldn't use anything magic as he was being power nulled by Morokei. And due to being a prisoner the Dovahkiin is doing every possibility at once. Including the possibilities that he got hit by it and in the game we see that the health absorption doesn't instantly obliterate him when he gets hit by it. The health absorption doesn't have any lore saying how potent it is and is contradicted by the Dovahkiin being able to survive it; while the magic absorption is shown to be able to effect a low 1-C's magic and instantly absorbs the Dovahkiin's literal instantly. Also as I've stated in my last post it is stated to be able to absorb magic and health but it doesn't say anything about it absorbing non magic powers like the thu'um and is contradicted. I understand gameplay and lore are vastly different in the Elder Scrolls but there's nothing in the lore saying the health absorption is low 1-C and the magic absorption being low 1-C comes from being shown to do that in the game.

I'm going to class right now so I won't be able to respond for a hour or two depending if I respond before driving home, so I'll message this later. Also sorry if I'm coming off as rude or aggressive I think it's a side effect of the medication I'm taking.

Except that the Prisoner Metaphysic only means that the Dovahkiin Will do everything at once, not that every possible things that can happen to him will happen. Not to mention that any possibility where he lost will be overwritten by the possibility where he did win. And the Staff never shown to be able to absorb the Dovahkiin's magicka instantly, considering that we never really got tagged by it directly, and we don't really know whether the one that Morokei used through out the temple was the Staff or not.

And don't worry, I don't think you are being rude or aggressive at all.

Anyway, I think It's better for us to just agree to disagree.

Waria Kambang said:
Anyway, I think It's better for us to just agree to disagree.
Yeah; that'll work.

@Star

Sorry for derailing your thread. When I originally saw this thread I thought it would last a day at best, yet this is what happened.

However I do think really important did come up that benefits everyone. This thread pointed out, at least to me, the Dovahkiin for some reason doesn't have void manipulation resistance on his profile; that's Alduin's main attack. I know that the hero's resistances were added as a place holder, not even by Matt or Ultima, but the Dovahkiin not resisting void manipulation is hilarious consider who Skyrim's main antagonist is. I'm just saying that this match won't die in vain as it brought that to my and probably others attention (if it wasn't already). I'm going to make a thread about that when I get home in an hour or so.

Back