• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The difference between Intangibility and Incorporeality

I do not really understand the complete difference between being Immaterial (type 2 Intangibility) and being outright Non-Corporeal

I can kind of get it in some cases, but it confuses me the more when talking about ghosts, souls, and other spiritual beings.

While in most cases we treat ghosts as Immaterial, other times, like in the case of Stands from Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: In some profiles, they are listed as being incorporeal, while in others, only as intangibles.

The description of the two powers doesn't really make such a distinction. I would like to understand the difference in more detail.

Well, our description for Non-Corporeal seems to imply that you can't have any "form" at all (Even if said form is non-physical). Which means that a ghost who's basically a non-physical human would be intangible, whereas something like a Touhou soul with no set shape, appearance or form would be Non-Corporeal.

However, that's clearly not how we use non-corporeality in our profiles currently, given that we give non-corporeal to souls/ghosts and the ability to hit non-corporeal beings to those who can hit said souls.

Besides, there are many incorporeal people on this wiki who have a precise shape and form. And I don't even understand how not having a precise form would give you such an advantage over Immaterial Intangibility.

I mean, I think that being able to hit an immaterial being with a precise shape and form to be far less impressive than hitting something that has no shape and can't even be "hit" normally due to lacking anything to target.

Non-Corporeal are generally tied with a universe or concept. The host can keep regenerating endlessly.

Therefore reality warping, conceptual manipulation, soul manipulation (in case if they have a soul) is necessary to get rid of them.

Intangibility should only by applied to characters who are normally physical beings, but are capable of "getting rid" of their physical form and become temporarily untouchable by external means

Non-Corporeality can be divided in levels. One for entities that are basically non-physical, and other for Abstract Beings or similar entities that have no shape or form whatsoever ― Although I think the profiles should simply explain the degree of Non-Corporeality the character in question has

That's what I think, anyway

What about the complete opposite? Characters that are normally untouchable and can become touchable, or can be touched by some specific objects?

Can an Immaterial being touch an incorporeal one?

Ultima Reality said:
Intangibility should only by applied to characters who are normally physical beings, but are capable of "getting rid" of their physical form and become temporarily untouchable by external means
Non-Corporeality can be divided in levels. One for entities that are basically non-physical, and other for Abstract Beings or similar entities that have no shape or form whatsoever ― Although I think the profiles should simply explain the degree of Non-Corporeality the character in question has

That's what I think, anyway
Type 2 Intangibility (immaterial) & Non-corporeal are not the same thing.

A non-corporeal being does not usually have any kind of concrete, defined form, and can appear in many different forms if they wish, though the destruction of these bodies is of little relevance to the entity behind them.

Souls don't have this property

1) In the majority of cases, incorporeal beings are represented in a precise form/shape (at least in fiction) and they would have Shapeshifting as a power automatically, which they don't

2) Since when ghosts/souls have bodies? At best they have a Projection, and so has an incorporeal being. Besides, in fiction, people can straight up punch incorporeals sometimes.

Our standards for Non-Corporeality are way too specific as of now. By defintion, being naturally non-physical would give you Non-Corporeality

It's literally in the name of the damn power

We just need to distinguish the types of Non-Corporeality really.

Becoming untouchable and phasing at times = Intangibility

Being a ghost and being able to be touched only by specific things = a level of Incorporeality

This does seem like it might be a problem, yes.

What do you suggest as a solution Ultima and Saikou?

Perhaps the two of you (Saikou and Ultima) could start a revision thread in the staff forum?

Back