• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
1. I need to watch both of these series again, I think.

2. How would Gold's durability-negating powers fare against Merlin's resistance to magic? Has he heart-ripped or transmuted anyone who could explicitly resist magic?

3. What does Gold have to protect himself against Merlin's own transmutation?

4. What is the likelihood of Merlin opening up with lightning as his first attack? Because if he does that, Gold is dead. Immediately.

Great fight, by the way. Seems fairly even from what I can see.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
1. I need to watch both of these series again, I think.
2. How would Gold's durability-negating powers fare against Merlin's resistance to magic? Has he heart-ripped or transmuted anyone who could explicitly resist magic?

2. What does Gold have to protect himself against Merlin's own transmutation?

3. What is the likelihood of Merlin opening up with lightning as his first attack? Because if he does that, Gold is dead. Immediately.

Great fight, by the way. Seems fairly even from what I can see.

2. Merlin only showed resistance against telekinetic blasts, so Gold can still heart-ripp him.

3. Merlins Transmutation is not really well developed or usefull in battle

4. This would be interesting. Gold has only shown normal human durability, so lighnting or a normal telekinetic blast could really do some damage.

Its a bit difficult to say.

Merlin has Time hax, Lighning and Telekinetic blasts that could most likely kill or knock Gold out (his Dura is unknown, but should be around normal human level), Shields against Golds fire and is more durable.

Gold has heart ripping (Merlin cant really defend against that), Transmutation (Also ignores dura), Teleportation, BFR and can paralize Merlin with a wave of his hand (or put him to sleep).

It kinda depends on speed and the items they are allowed to have. But Merlin is probably faster (He doesnt even needs to move to attack Gold with a telekinetic blast) and Gold is more of a talker. It depends if he survives that or not. If he does Gold wins via BFR, Heart-ripping, ...

^I say I more or less agree with this. This match seems like a game of 'Who One-Shots First?', and it could really go either way in that respect, since both have powers that could mess the other one's entire situation up in the blink of an eye.

That said, I'm voting Merlin 6 times out of 10. There's a chance (albeit a small one) that Gold will still be alive, and if he does manage to get back up after taking a lightning strike or TK blast right in the face, then Merlin is screwed. That's a very big 'if', though, and if Gold's only ever really shown human level physical durability, then it'd stand to reason that a directed lightning strike would fry him just as badly as any other person. Just going by the above, Merlin is also more likely to get his powers off first.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
^I say I more or less agree with this. This match seems like a game of 'Who One-Shots First?', and it could really go either way in that respect, since both have powers that could mess the other one's entire situation up in the blink of an eye.
That said, I'm voting Merlin 6 times out of 10. There's a chance (albeit a small one) that Gold will still be alive, and if he does manage to get back up after taking a lightning strike or TK blast right in the face, then Merlin is screwed. That's a very big 'if', though, and if Gold's only ever really shown human level physical durability, then it'd stand to reason that a directed lightning strike would fry him just as badly as any other person. Just going by the above, Merlin is also more likely to get his powers off first.

Agreed. Going with Merlin to, since his attacks are faster.

Uhm correct me if I'm wrong but won't Pre-cog coupled with teleportation make it just a tiny bit difficult to tag Rumple?

MrKingOfNegativity said:
If the 'Precognition' on Gold's profile is referring to this, then I don't think it's combat-applicable.
King is right. As debated above this fight more or less depends who strikes first, which will probably be Merlin. But in terms of hax, Gold is superior.

Merlin of Once battled Dark Swan who is < Rumple and stroke her with magical ligthening blast... In Once Verse the Dark One can only be killed with Dark One Dagger. Now has tried to kill the man with magic....

I would give it to Rumple, and I have some proves...

Ahh, about the lightning, there is this

Rumple is far away of having regular human durability. Mr. Hyde, who is fairly inferior to any Dark One, can resist attacks such like this and can also dodge lightnings from Jekyll's baton. I would say Rumple can do both, 'cause he is extremely stronger than Hyde.

Rumple could dodge Merlin's lightning, or tank it. Whatever. Just think it wouldn't be enough to bring the Dark One down.

@Meosos

Why would taking a hook from a sailor straight to the chest and not so much as flinching, explaining that it didn't affect him, and then casually teleporting away make Gold's durability human level?

Going with Gold here for more hax and being able to dodge that lightning based attack mentioned above. Anyone know whether or not it works in the same way as a tesla coil? Because if it isn't magic-based it could mean speed upgrades for OUAT.

@HalfAsianFan

Being impaled by a hook i certainly lower dura than merlins 8-C lightning attack. But dura in the once upon a time verse was always a bit difficult. Characters like Regina, Cora certainly have normal human dura, Gold on the other hand has his immortality.

Might just be me here, but I honestly don't see how the attack in the OUAT episode compares to Merlin's lightning.

I mean, judging from the video, the attack Hyde dodged just seems like an electrical projectile, not an actual bolt of lightning.

Meanwhile, Merlin's lightning is this.

Meosos said:
I thought Mr. Hyde has magic resistance and thats why he the magic attacks were useless. Gold on the other hand, seems to havenormal human durability
The Hook didn't hurt him. He didn't even bleed, as you can see. There is also the fact that Rumple is immortal, and that shouldn't be ignored.

Ahh, Hyde haven't got magic resistance, as we can see when Gold choke him with his telekinesis and then he falls on the ground. He was just very resistant and thus the attack didn't hurt him.

As well, Rumple's magic is immensively beyond what Merlin can do. He has some light-based attacks, as well, wich should have lightspeed (they're beams of pure light) and can cause the Chernabog to flee and even kill huge ogres (wich had the size of entire buildings).

Obs: Chernabog was incredibely powerful, as we can see when not even the Queens of Darkness were able of beating him.

And Rumple can resist this type of attack, via powerscalling with Hyde and even Emma (who resisted attacks from OUAT's Merlin).

There is, also, Gold's power of absorption. He can, with the Fairy Godmother Wand, absorb magic (and he also can conjure lightning with it), so, this lightning attack from Merlin still quite questionable.

Is this the only thing that would give the victory to Merlin?

^HalfAsianFan, I believe.

Also, to answer the question from earlier, no. Lightning isn't the only thing of Merlin's that could potentially put Gold down for good. TK is also a thing, as well as pyrokinesis (which has been shown ignoring distance) and Small Building level energy blasts which should be above anything Gold has ever been hit with. Meosos's point was, Gold surviving the hook doesn't much change the fact that it was enough to puncture his skin in the first place, much less the fact that said hook was stabbed into his flesh by a normal human with no super strength whatsoever.

Another thing; being able to conjure lightning =/= having the speed to dodge lightning. That's like saying anyone who shoots a gun can dodge bullets.

And to add onto the above, Merlin's lightning is shown being used on Morgana, a woman with immortality that works almost exactly like Rumple's own, and it was still enough to incapacitate her in a single hit.

TK isn't useful against Rumple. He can just block it with his own.

Well, there are people in OUAT that are immensively inferior to Rumple wich could react to a lightning from Zeus' crystal (say that Rumple couldn't do so is quite stupid. And say it wasn't actually a lightning is also very stupid, because it was Zeus' power, the God of Lightnings); Hyde could also dodge a beam of pure light coming from Emma and Regina (wich I've already showed); Emma herself was able to block Merlin's light attack. Well, I think Rumple would be able to dodge this.

Now, I'll make a small PS here. Please be patient.

Rumple, with photokinesis, was able of killing an Ogre (wich would be at least 8-C by sheer size, and that was already debated in here).

Emma, the Savior, is the girl with most powerful light magic of existance, and so, her photokinesis would be at least equal to Rumple's (if not superior).

In this scene, Emma attacks Pan with her photokinesis and he didn't suffered at all.

So, via powerscalling, Rumple should have at least this resistence, 'cause he was actually the only one comparable to Peter Pan when he was alive.

Using all these informations, we can put both, Pan and Rumple with 8-C durability.

Can we skip to the next of Merlin's power?

Blocking Telekinesis with Telekinesis wont work, since Merlin uses instant telekinetic blasts, that kill you in an instant by impact (By causing internal damage). I dont think you can compare Hyde with any magic user in OUAT, since his powers seem to work different and he has this magic resistance. (Even Golds dagger couldnt kill him). Emma and Merlin didnt attack with Light, they used some kind of magical energy attack. The Lightning feat seems to be PIS. But I have to agree that Gold is one of the fastest beings in OUAT (Emma could easily catch arrows), but is there any direct feat of him dodging lightning ? If not, I dont think he can.

What u say about Pan and Rumple on the other hand could be true, I have to look that up.

Merlins other options:

Killing Gold with Excalibur (this sword kills everything)

Using his Time Magic in combination with Excalibur or to avoid Golds attacks

Summon Kilgharrah (If thats allowed)

Ignite Gold (But I think thats useless)

Igniting Rumple wouldn't be as useless as you might think. If he's capable of Town level flames, then that's more than enough to incinerate a person. And he can ignore distance with them.

Summoning Kilgharrah probably isn't allowed.

Excalibur brings up another point: Rumple's heart-ripping ability should actually be useless here, since IIRC it requires him to be in melee range. Getting that close would be suicide against Merlin, who has a sword with the ability to slay immortals just like Rumple's ilk, and has more than enough skill to use it effectively.

Meosos is also right about the TK. Unless Gold has a feat of blocking someone else's TK with his own (much less an instant TK blast that's as strong as Merlin's), then we can't just assume he's capable of that.

The lightning feat probably isn't PIS, but it also isn't usable here. You can clearly see him reacting before the lightning is fired, not to the lightning itself.

However, I'm going to change my vote to Inconclusive as well, since I don't think either character is guaranteed a victory now that I've done some digging on both series.

Back