• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Both characters are really strong. I can see it crystal clear.

I'll look after some evidence about Gold's reaction but, since speed is equalized, don't think that's necessary (unless Merlin can't dodge his owns lightnings).

About Excalibur, Rumple does also have a sword like this, wich also kills immortals. And, well, I think he has more hand-to-hand combat feats than Merlin (but I can be wrong, since I watched Merlin a long time ago). This situation would end into a sword fight, and I see Rumple taking this situation.

About causing internal damage to Rumple, don't think that's useful. You see, he's immortal and he can yes block attacks using his own telekinesis (as we can see when Emma tries to hit him).

Ahh, about his precognition, there is this, when he predicted the exact moment of Emma's approaching during "combat" (ok that he wasn't fighting, but it's combat-applicable).

Well, I'll keep my vote for Rumple, but not easily.

Meosos said:
...I dont think you can compare Hyde with any magic user in OUAT, since his powers seem to work different and he has this magic resistance. (Even Golds dagger couldnt kill him)...
About this, Hyde don't have magic resistence. He is just immortal. The fact that the Dark One's dagger couldn't kill him it's explained later, when it's revealed that the only way of true killing a doppelganger is killing the original (not counting the Shears of Destiny).

Repeating, he hasn't got magical resistence, he's just very strong

Merlin is nowhere near fast enough to dodge lightning. Speed-wise, he's comparable to Morgana, and she got wrecked by his lightning before she could so much as move.

In a sword fight, Merlin is no slouch, and he has the advantage of heating Rumple's blade to the point of being too hot to wield. His magic shield should also be more than durable enough to deflect anything Rumple could do to him physically, and while I don't remember if he's ever used it in an up-close situation, he should be capable of such.

The above doesn't change my vote, but I felt like clarifying.

Meosos said:
Merlins other options:

Killing Gold with Excalibur (this sword kills everything)

Using his Time Magic in combination with Excalibur or to avoid Golds attacks

Summon Kilgharrah (If thats allowed)

Ignite Gold (But I think thats useless)
About Excalibur, I've already pointed my opinion.

Don't really think summoning is allowed but if it is, Rumple could summon every other Dark One who ever lived (wich would be around 25).

Igniting Gold wouldn't be useful as well. He can manipulate fire at will and could just extinguish the flames. And, even if Rumple managed to get incinerated by Merlin's flames, the power of Darkness would bring him back (likelly the same way the Evil Queen returned from dust).

Excalibur cannot be a target of magical abilities, wich was stated by the own Rumple. So, heat it is out of the question.

Can you prove that Merlin has sword abilities at least comparable to Rumple's? He is the best swordsman in the all series :v

And, about the shields, Excalibur can ignore that, as we can see when Rumple do it with a single piece of the sword. It does also ignore Regenerationn, 'cause its wounds cannot be cured.

By the way, Rumple can also use his powers upon Merlin's sword. As an example, he could make it disappear or turn its blade into water.

Do you remember if Merlin has some type of teleportation spell? If not, BFR it's another way of victory in Rumple's hand.

As far as Merlin's swordplay goes, he eventually got to the point where he was capable of taking on multiple members of Morgana/Morgause's immortal army while using nothing but Excalibur. The only person by his side at the time was Lancelot.

That said, I didn't realize OUAT's Excalibur was immune to magic attacks, or that it could ignore magic shields. Merlin also doesn't have a teleport of any kind, so you've got me there too.

I suppose I'll switch my vote to Rumplestiltskin. Outside of his more reliable ranged attacks, Merlin seems a bit outmatched at this point.

Well, Rumple is the best swordsmand in the series, as I said before. He can beat Prince Charming with ease, who was able of fighting against multiple enemies from Regina's army as well (very similar to Merlin's feat).

Yes, I think that Rumple has more versatility, and that would be of great importance in such a level-headed battle.

Rumple has not really a sword with the same abilities as Merlin, but I think his dagger counts.

The feat of Emma and Gold you showed was not really him dodging telekinesis, just freezing her before she could do anything :D

Merlin should have enough skills to fight Rumple in a swordfight (Dont forget his time magic), so in a swordfight Merlin would most likely win.

Excalibur is most likely immune to being transformed, just like the Dark Ones dagger.

Yes, Gold can ressurect but that takes a sacrifice, so one hit with Excalibur and Gold is dead.

But I think I change my vote to Gold, for BFR (Merlin most likely could escape the infinite forest, but since BFR counts as a win no matter what Gold wins).

Excalibur has never been shown resisting magic of any kind, though. Just negating immortality.

Nah. Matchups don't end until one side reaches 7 votes. We need two more votes for Gold before we can conclude.

Looks like that's it, then.

We can add this to the profiles tomorrow.

EDIT: Actually, since it's a unanimous vote, this can be added right away.

I'm actually rewatching the Merlin BBC series again, and he has a few things missing from his page, as well as other bits that need to be revised. A couple of other characters (Nimueh, Morgana, etc.) need revisions as well, judging from what I've seen.

He almost surely still loses to Rumple, all things considered. Or maybe he can inconclusive the 7-C version of him. Probably the former, though.

Yeah, Rumple is an extremely haxed character. And if we thing of how his page was before my arrival... eh, things change.

Yeah, he didn't have nearly as many of his powers on his profile back when this was made. Merlin is versatile (and can even learn spells after having only seen them once), but Rumple's too much of a monster for him to really contend with at this point.

If I'd known all the stuff was missing from his page, I'd have done some of the revisions myself. I should probably start watching Once Upon A Time again.

MrKingOfNegativity said:
I'm actually rewatching the Merlin BBC series again, and he has a few things missing from his page, as well as other bits that need to be revised. A couple of other characters (Nimueh, Morgana, etc.) need revisions as well, judging from what I've seen.

He almost surely still loses to Rumple, all things considered. Or maybe he can inconclusive the 7-C version of him. Probably the former, though.
Now we've got 7-B Rumple. That's cool.

Back