• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

The Commoner's Thread: The Death of SCP

That’s not the issue with SCP, and I don’t think it will solve anything
It is though, atleast one of the main ones. Since anyone can submit an article with bare minimum writing skills to get 10 upvotes and be qualified for a profile. And since the main cause of concern is powerscalers flooding the wiki with ridiculous op OC’s with no narrative or story reason for said strength, wouldn’t this kinda nip it in the bud?

I’m into fat bitches /ref
tenor.gif

A collection of authors write about characters other authors created in stories that make their preferred character look good with multiple different powers and themes all inspired by real world ideas like magic, religion, science fiction, etc. that are locked into progressive power creep by the status quo.

Oh and they're both licensed.
Also ignoring the case of DC and Marvel are a company that involves publishing and distributing. Even if we go by the merits of having a license, may I remind you that it also involves the public domain? More specifically, something along the lines of Sherlock Holmes who only became public domain later on and so on.

Edit: Then again, I not sure on this Public Domain. Would double check though

It is though, atleast one of the main ones. Since anyone can submit an article with bare minimum writing skills to get 10 upvotes and be qualified for a profile. And since the main cause of concern is powerscalers flooding the wiki with ridiculous op OC’s with no narrative or story reason for said strength, wouldn’t this kinda nip it in the bud?
I think the issue is that even if you raise the threshold that just becomes the next goalpost.

I believe DT or Crab said it in the thread but someone with basic writing skills can easily disguise a tier slop SCP and put it on the wiki, and that could probably break a theoretical “upvote rule”. It could also just become people organizing to get tons of upvotes so that someone can put it on site.

I think the issue is that even if you raise the threshold that just becomes the next goalpost.

I believe DT or Crab said it in the thread but someone with basic writing skills can easily disguise a tier slop SCP and put it on the wiki, and that could probably break a theoretical “upvote rule”. It could also just become people organizing to get tons of upvotes so that someone can put it on site.
Ok then what exactly is are standard for writers? Like if a redditor makes some suggsverse ashine then obviously we’re not gonna accept it but if Al Ewing makes outerversal character then that’s fine on what basis?

Who is gonna organize 100 people for a 100 upvotes? And honestly if they get a bunch of upvotes on there own merit then an’t even slop its just a solid story at that point

At present it would take a minimum of 11 people to entirely rewrite the SCP tiering on the wiki as a whole: it may be more or less depending on engagement, but given the number of votes on a lot of SCP stuff, I don't foresee it as being far, far removed from that number. It's not exactly an impossible number to achieve, and it may well have already happened to some extent.

I think the issue most staffs have with SCP is the way other authors strictly create this and that, it will be confusing to keep scaling something that doesn't have a fixed cosmology, take ID for example, even thought the author is vsbw-ish And whatever they call him, the cosmology is fixed, a fixed cosmology is so good to scale since they wouldn't be contradictions or so the more, whereas SCP having multiple authors who are bedridden with VSBW terminologies and scales obviously would cause confusion, scaling something like that would be annoying
So, so and so character will transcend meta-fictional hierachies and blah blah blah blah, one would want more and more OP mfs in their stories about so and so SCP like swann proposal and that SCP that keep transcending dimensions or whatever (SCP3182)
Which is why it is easier to just nuke the verse to oblivion or just delete the scalings of those big dogs in the stories
If noosphere doesnt exist in writer A story but other things like hyperdimensions does how can one call it a scaling material?

Ok then what exactly is are standard for writers? Like if a redditor makes some suggsverse ashine then obviously we’re not gonna accept it but if Al Ewing makes outerversal character then that’s fine on what basis?
I swear the fact ppl keep hinges on the writers just complicated the matter even more so.

Not to mention Al Ewingg is hired as a writer of a company if memories served me right as well having involved into Marvel as well.

I think a half-measure "keep some that aren't obviously wanked or written by Lionel Suggs" is not achieving anything, since inevitably people will find loopholes and we are back were we started. Trough there's an argument to be made to only keep the iconic ones like 173 and 682, if you want some compromise.

I swear the fact ppl keep hinges on the writers just complicated the matter even more so.

Not to mention Al Ewingg is hired as a writer of a company if memories served me right as well having involved into Marvel as well.
That’s one of the main reasons scp is getting deleted. Specially because of the writers intent no?

And? Hasn’t he referenced powerscaling in his most recent Thor book?

I think the issue most staffs have with SCP is the way other authors strictly create this and that, it will be confusing to keep scaling something that doesn't have a fixed cosmology, take ID for example, even thought the author is vsbw-ish And whatever they call him, the cosmology is fixed, a fixed cosmology is so good to scale since they wouldn't be contradictions or so the more, whereas SCP having multiple authors who are bedridden with VSBW terminologies and scales obviously would cause confusion, scaling something like that would be annoying
So, so and so character will transcend meta-fictional hierachies and blah blah blah blah, one would want more and more OP mfs in their stories about so and so SCP like swann proposal and that SCP that keep transcending dimensions or whatever (SCP3182)
Which is why it is easier to just nuke the verse to oblivion or just delete the scalings of those big dogs in the stories
If noosphere doesnt exist in writer A story but other things like hyperdimensions does how can one call it a scaling material?
Don’t we just scale to what applies or keep to are own interpretation of the “cannon”?

There's also an issue of our approval system potentially not allowing content that adds to preexisting VSB Articles.
It isn't so much about having a standard as much as it is what twists and pulls at any theoretical standards the most.
Regarding FC/OC, I won't mention it further but this is why I don't ask ongoing Fallout Equestria fic writers (such as Project Horizons) anything about anything power scaling related. I just don't want that to pressure or influence them too much as writer.

That’s one of the main reasons scp is getting deleted. Specially because of the writers intent no?

And? Hasn’t he referenced powerscaling in his most recent Thor book?
A reference isn’t enough to ignore previous works on a franchise that have cover a large amount of topics.

I am really starting to get more headaches on that matter despite the current state of Marvel and DC comics are currently in.

It is like cherry picking a single thing out of the many comics that came before it

I will say comparing SCP to something like Marvel and DC Comics is quite asinine, given the latter has far more requirements and many more barriers of entry before they even publish a work. SCP isn't this "exclusive project" as people keep claiming it is.
The barrier for entry to writing anything that would majorly affect scaling is becoming friends with the admins who hate powerscaling.

A reference isn’t enough to ignore previous works on a franchise that have cover a large amount of topics.

I am really starting to get more headaches on that matter despite the current state of Marvel and DC comics are currently in.

It is like cherry picking a single thing out of the many comics that came before it
So a wirter has to be part of huge franchise to let this slide?

I’m not even making a direct comparison between the two just specifically how we handle authors. How about this if Robert kirkman started introducing VSBW-esque stuff in the later half of invincible dose that make the verse invalid?

Yeah for people who "hate powerscaling" they sure do allow the writers to get away with a lot. Beginning to think that's a myth that people made up.
Our current tiers weren't backed by any of the so called "powerscaling" articles or tales. They were from reputable authors who work on far more than just beeg number tier articles.

So a wirter has to be part of huge franchise to let this slide?

I’m not even making a direct comparison between the two just specifically how we handle authors. How about this if Robert kirkman started introducing VSBW-esque stuff in the later half of invincible dose that make the verse invalid?
Battleboarding isn’t exclusively unique to VSBW, but since you ask a theoretical scenario, then I will ask this in return. You think a author of their own story attempting to entertain the audience will actually bother to do such things and goes out of their own way at the risk of a story being boring to its own readers who want to enjoy a story they want?

If the author isn’t solely focused on the actual battleboarding stuff, and is more focused on their own story, characters, and plot, then it is for them to do.

It is up to the wiki’s standards and the staffs to decide.

Last edited:
Back