• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Thanos Type 4 Immortality and other abilities

We know Thanos can't die because he has been rejected by Lady Death. Should he get immortality by godhood? The cosmic abstracts are the deities of Marvel who control the concepts

Also High regen + Resurrection (he has revived many times after 'dying')

4746297-365775-ti4p23 super

I think I agree with this. I myself was suprised when I realized thanos didn't have immortality (type 4) in his profile.

Huesito88 said:
I think I agree with this. I myself was suprised when I realized thanos didn't have immortality in his profile.
He's basically famous for being immortal thanks to Lady Death, it's one of the biggest background of his entire character

Wait a minute.

I don't think that's true any longer. Thanos was killed by God-Emperor Doom.

JE6hQja
Doom kills Thanos

Additionally, after the Marvel Multiverse was fixed and Thanos was revived along with everyone else, it's been revealed as of late that Thanos is dying. It's so bad he sought out his father to try and create a cure for his condition only to find out itl will take too long. (The cure could take years while Thanos only has weeks.)

Hasn't Thanos died several times and resurrected? You sure he lost Death's blessing completely?

The thing is that Thanos didn't revive until after the entire Multiverse was restored and everyone who died in Time Runs Out (pretty much everyone but a handful of individuals) was brought back. If he still had the blessing, he should have regenerated soon after Doom killed him, like he did in the Cancerverse after Drax killed him again.

It's never been mentioned or brought up ever again since.

However, Thanos having only a few weeks to live is a new storyline and we will have to wait and see where that goes. But the fact that he's actually dying is also telling. Whatever it is has been revealed to be highly complex due to Thanos' physiology.

The fact is: Thanos should be immune to diseases even without Death's blessing. So, I say we wait and see on that front.

God-Emperor Doom is probably strong enough to override Death's protection.

He should have Type 4 immortality.

Hmm, let's see what others think. It should at least be mentioned in the profile that he had it in the past.

Promestein said:
God-Emperor Doom is probably strong enough to override Death's protection.
He should have Type 4 immortality.
Ah good point, Type 4 immortality depends on whether another character is strong enough to override the blessing.

Like I said, we don't know anymore. It's never been brought up again. Besides, like I said, Thanos is stated to be dying as of this moment.

I'm not saying no, instead I say we wait and see where that goes. Because how would that work? Type 4 Immortality but confirmed to be dying.

Then again, it could be inconsistent writing.

I think it's just inconsistent writing, we have seen many nonsensical things happen in Marvel.

If he had it at one point then it should be mentioned. As we don't remove abilities from a character just cause they lost it currently.

Given that, should we make a note that he doesn't always have Death's Blessing/Curse and it should be specified if ever in a versus match?

How about the other two abilities I mentioned? Thanos profile is very incomplete and lots of abilities are missing

TheC2 said:
Given that, should we make a note that he doesn't always have Death's Blessing/Curse and it should be specified if ever in a versus match?
The wiki generally use the prime state of a character, not their latest state. Even if a character loses an ability it is still mentioned on profile and usable in versus matches

Joseph619 said:
TheC2 said:
The wiki generally use the best state of a character, not their latest state. Even if a character loses an ability it is still mentioned on profile and usable in versus matches
Then it would be better to make a new section of Thanos' key with these abilities rather then say, add them to his baseline.

So on the thanos vs batter thread I heard from someone thanos has no resistance to reality warping (atleast not mentioned in his profile). When I am pretty sure I know one reality warping resistance feat for thanos off the top of my head.

Huesito88 said:
So on the thanos vs batter thread I heard from someone thanos has no resistance to reality warping (atleast not mentioned in his profile). when I am pretty I know one reality warping resistance feat for thanos off the top of my head.
Thanos profile is very incomplete, I don't know why

Thanos did display resistance to reality distortions during "Thanos' Quest".

Anyway, currently he is supposedly dying in his own series, and he was killed by Drax during "Annihilation", so I do not think that he is protected by Death from dying itself. She simply tends to resurrect him.

@Ant: Did he use to have protection from death by....Death herself in the past or is it as you say here and he was simply resurrected all the time by her?

Just for clarification.

I think that he had protection briefly, but that this was ignored by later writers.

@Ant; Yeah idk if it's worth putting it on there if he had for a time only for it to ignored later down the line.

What do you think of it though? Still worth putting it or nah?

Maybe we could place a "Immortality (Formerly type 4)" in his page? However, his Regenerationn does jot appear to be very good, as he was unable to heal from having his heart ripped out.

That doesn't exactly look right to have him it as that sounds like something where we put "hey he use to have this but not anymore so that's why we put (formally type 4) on his page". It looks rather unnatural compared to the many other immoral characters here.

From the Marvel wikias listing of his regen, I think it's about Mid-Low by our scale.

Okay. What does the Marvel wiki say about his Regenerationn?

Well I guess we could but IMO I just find it weird to put it as "formally" before it.

Here's what they have. Whether or not is outdated is up to you but anyways:

"Accelerated Healing Factor: Despite his extraordinary durability, it is possible to injure Thanos. Like all Eternals, however, Thanos is capable of regenerating damaged tissue with much greater speed and efficiency than a human being. His healing powers aren't as developed as those of some Eternals. Some Eternals are capable of regenerating any destroyed tissue. Given the circumstances of his death at the hands of Drax the Destroyer during the Annihilation event, Thanos is unable to regenerate missing organs."

-Marvel Database wikia

Oh yeah, that same wikia also noted the same thing you said on how he use to have immortality from Death, but they note after it that has since been lifted.

For whatever canon reason in Marvel, they didn't say. Only that Death has lifted his ban from death.

I don't think that the reason was ever stated outright. The writers simply seem to have forgotten about it.

That's what I've been saying. His resurrections and immortality were only displayed during the Cancerverse storyline and haven't been seen since.

There's loads of DC and Marvel characters that have gotten powerups that didn't last that we haven't added to their profiles.

Superman when he was split into two energy beings.

Wonder Woman as a Star Sapphire.

Spider-man as Captain Universe.

Just name a few.

@C2: So you're saying we should put in that immortality of Thanks then?

@Ant: I take the regen stays as is on his page?

I think that TheC2 means that it is an outdated irrelevant ability, and should not be added.

Thanos' Regenerationn seems to be Mid-Low, from what I remember.

Ah my bad. Misinterpreted his comment.

That's consistent with what the Marvel Database wikia put his Regenerationn at. Is there anything his regen did that's worth expanding on his profile here? Or can I just use the one from the Marvel Database wikia? I also noticed Thor is kind of the same and needs a little more detail noted to his page on his Regenerationn.

Not that I know of. Thanos' regen is pretty basic. He's immune to most diseases and infections and can heal quicker than most. He cannot heal from destroyed organs as that was how Drax first killed him.

As for Thor, he regened his entire liver after it was turned to glass and healed two broken wrists in a few hours. He cannot regen his limbs though.

That seems pretty low for powerful beings in Marvel such as those two. But i digress on this a bit more than intended.

Well, not all powerful characters automatically have high-level Regenerationn.

I performed some minor cleanup of the Thanos page in any case.

Back