• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think so. ¯\(ツ)
Again. Yen Press translated 宇宙 (Uchū) wrong.
Space Shook is not the correct translation.
The correct translation is either Outer Space Shook or Universe Trembled.
You have a much simpler option here man... Just find a single sentence anywhere in the entire series where another character states that they felt a shaking indeed, so we know this case is not basic use of the literature as one expects, but rather a literal, factual statement.

You are refusing the official translation. Fine, you do not trust Yen Press. But you are literally refusing the translator of the translation you are trying to cite. Defan himself said there is no indication for a universe existing, and that the sentence does not actually refer to a universe shaking. The current Sword Art Online fan translator, Gsimenas, also states the universe did not shake. That is one professional translator who has been doing translation work for multiple decades and two fan translators who specialize in SAO for a decade. How much more do you need? Are you just going to bring in more translators as they all tell you the same thing?

There's no rush to close this
Have some patience until the on-site translator tackles the quote

In the meantime I also recommend having the author statement also taking a look at by our on-site translator since it was previously just translated with Google

But I agree, Yen Press translation is not the best.
Yen Press is not a translator. They have tons of translators, generally dedicated to specific series. Their bad reputation comes from the earlier volumes of some series, which got promptly changed up within a volume or two.

Sword Art Online / Stephen Paul combo was never in this category at all. He is one of the highly respected translators out there.

Anything you can specifically attribute to Yen Press in a translation is limited to the use of Japanese honorifics. For their Light Novel content, they generally opt into changing Japanese honorifics into English equivalents, whereas their Manga publications are fine with the Japanese styling of the language thanks to the medium directly being attributed to the Japanese culture, so they keep the Japanese honorifics in.

The OP is literally in the process of trying to befriend people on a baseless "publishing house hate".

Well, they do get the job done, but some of the changes I see in Toaru and Overlord are just plain terrible. But anyway, I won't derail anymore about the publisher.

Well, they do get the job done, but some of the changes I see in Toaru and Overlord are just plain terrible. But anyway, I won't derail anymore about the publisher.
Are you agreeing, neutral, or disagreeing with this CRT?

Are you agreeing, neutral, or disagreeing with this CRT?
Aside from the fact that you never asked me or anyone else due to what I can only imagine you do not want to add negative feedback to your post, you literally are in a position where you do not trust the translation you have in your hands that 3 separate (one of which is official) translators agree upon and request an on-site translation, yet force people to agree or disagree prematurely?

I really don't understand this thread man, every single step in this one feels so wrong and badly planned by you.

Aside from the fact that you never asked me or anyone else due to what I can only imagine you do not want to add negative feedback to your post
OK. That was my bad. I swear I forgot to ask you that.

Then I'll gladly state that I stand by the 2 SAO fan translators (Defan & Gsimenas), as well as the official translation (Stephen Paul), and disagree with your suggestion.

Though I would still urge you to refrain from asking people to agree or disagree, until you are certain of the information you have in your hands.

How many times do we have to tell you the exact same thing before you process it?

That world shaking statement still has no evidence to justify it being literal.

That blog is wholesale ignoring that Japanese is heavily context dependent, and "outer space" could still refer to something less than the entirety of space or the universe.

People seems to believe that nobody felt any shaking since the fight was top-secret. If you think about it very closely, what this quote truly means is that nobody believed that the girls that the Abyssal Horror was truly defeated because the fight was top-secret. If there was a quote that said people did not actually feel any shaking, then it would have been a total different story.

... It genuinely baffles me how you typed this out and considered "yes, I can take this entirely seriously."

The entire world shaking cannot be hidden. Someone would have found out about the fight, somehow, if they were given that massive of a lead. This is just ignoring common sense to try and wank Kirito back to his previous state.

The Reki statement is semantics that completely misses what he's actually saying, which is the fact that the underworld is a Skybox and the stars aren't actual, several billion kilometer wide plasma balls, but in fact lights in the far off background.

It also provides absolutely no evidence that it should be the size of the Milky way, in fact, that whole misconception was extrapolated by a very vague description given by Kirito, which is then immediately contradicted by Reki stating there are only two planets and a star in the underworld.

Yen Press is a publisher, and the translator is very competent and experienced. I firmly disagree with this and have to ask you to cease and desist.

I don't disagree with the ability additions but you should have just added them when they were accepted on the other CRT.

It also provides absolutely no evidence that it should be the size of the Milky way, in fact, that whole misconception was extrapolated by a very vague description given by Kirito, which is then immediately contradicted by Reki stating there are only two planets and a star in the underworld.
I wouldn't even say there is anything to contradict. Our own skyboxes in games are modeled after Milky Way too. We have constellations on our skyboxes. That is what a skybox is. And even what Kirito says is "it is not Milky Way".

Okay so I feel like people are ignoring that the author statement is translated via Google which brings into question the validity of that statement

It should be asked to be translated by our on-site translator

Furthermore there is no harm in waiting for the previous requested translation to be done first before moving forward with anything regarding this thread

Okay so I feel like people are ignoring that the author statement is translated via Google which brings into question the validity of that statement

Furthermore there is no harm in waiting for the previous requested translation to be done first before moving forward with anything regarding this thread
The author statement doesn't seem to be machine translated in the last thread, only in this one. Although it could have been machine translated and cleaned up, ig, but there isn't anything indicating that.

You guys are ignoring I provided actual translations in the previous thread. Linked it twice or more in this thread for you to check too.

Tago, I can't say you're wrong or that he is but at the same time I would prefer to reserve this thread to criticizing the stupidity of the arguments presented here, as opposed to arguments held elsewhere

please and thank you

Anyways, a discussion moderator can close this at their leisure. There aren't any new arguments here and if there were, the OP and others can try to actually back them up. But I have my strong doubts that they will.

Anyways, a discussion moderator can close this at their leisure. There aren't any new arguments here and if there were, the OP and others can try to actually back them up. But I have my strong doubts that they will.
I would rather wait for the supporters to reply as time zones exist. I have to log off as I have to do some irl stuff.

Alright, 24 hours isn't too long to wait. If they don't respond there isn't exactly much of an excuse.

Uh, I disagree. Mainly for the reasons above going against it and all of this already being debunked and etc in the previous thread/downgrade.

That was already accepted on another thread, and again, I really wish someone bothered to add it before this.

Yeah I don't think that counters the reasons for why it was removed in the first place.

From the Translation it rather feels like universe shaking was quite correct.About the incident being top secret,it would be very good if there was any evidence of the top secret thing being not revealed to normal people.So,i atleast agree now.

Also i don't know about small country stuff.So, can't comment.

From the Translation it rather feels like universe shaking was quite correct.About the incident being top secret,it would be very good if there was any evidence of the top secret thing being not revealed to normal people
One thing about this point I dont quite understand is the "top secret bit". What does the universe shaking have to do with the fight being a secret to others?

As in, why does the battle with AH being a secret means the universe can't shake? They seem like 2 unrelated points.

One thing about this point I dont quite understand is the "top secret bit". What does the universe shaking have to do with the fight being a secret to others?

As in, why does the battle with AH being a secret means the universe can't shake? They seem like 2 unrelated points.
The idea is that it's hard to have the entire universe noticeably shake without anyone noticing.

What does the universe shaking have to do with the fight being a secret to others?
Nah, people are Basically using this as a fact.I mean in later vollume,it was said the whole fight was top secret.So if the universe shook it shouldn't be top secret.But that's where i have problems with.I meant it's not necessary for top secret things to be not revealed.So was there statement indicating that.
Even in DBS,first fight between goku and beruus was creating shockwaves that has universal statement but normal Humans daily life was going normally.

Nah, people are Basically using this as a fact.I mean in later vollume,it was said the whole fight was top secret.So if the universe shook it shouldn't be top secret.But that's where i have problems with.I meant it's not necessary for top secret things to be not revealed.So was there statement indicating that.
Even in DBS,first fight between goku and beruus was creating shockwaves that has universal statement but normal Humans daily life was going normally.
Using DBS is a terrible argument, the shookwave was shown to not affect Earth until it travel further, and the feat was way better than SAO as we many visual indicated of universe destruction as the shookwave did affect the entire universe even reaching the kaioshin realm and statement from reliable character like Old Kai who could observe the universe from his realm

Using DBS is a terrible argument, the shookwave was shown to not affect Earth until it travel further, and the feat was way better than SAO as we many visual indicated of universe destruction as the shookwave did affect the entire universe even reaching the kaioshin realm and statement from reliable character like Old Kai who could observe the universe from his realm
Chill dude,i just used it as an example for humans knowing about the fight or not.Also not comparing the feats,dbs feat was pretty direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back