• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's tripy and weird. In the story itself, Superman is basically trying to escape the Phantom Zone by going deeper into it until he can pop out the other side, but as he continues his journey, he learns that the Phantom Zone is really just a sort of border realm where the regular universe begins to overlap with another universe created and maintaned by some supremely powerful entity called Aethyr. This parallel universe, its laws, and everything that exist within it, are all manifestations of Aethyr's thoughts, which it controls as a mere whim. The idea is that once Superman crosses the final barrier, he is just another thought in the mind of Aethyr. So in this scene, Aethyr manifests before them as some sort of dragon, explaining that their physical bodies no longer exist and they are merely soul stuff made up of thoughts in his imaginary world. He wants to prevent them from leaving by "unthinking" them, which would essentially make them one with his own mind in the same way that things you are not thinking about right now are one with your own mind. They have the potential to exist as thoughts, but they don't. Regardless, Aethyr describes this process as "annihilation" and "oblivion," and when it happens to Quex-El, it certainly looks like existence erasure. I think it fits the bill, and the thing that is shown happening here is pretty explicitly a first attempt that didn't take. Quex-El describes their reconstitution at the end of that scene as "getting away from it (Aethyr)," and Superman describes his powers as sufficient to "give them a chance" in fending Aethyr off.

I do not know. I only read these comics out of an interest in this thread. The only people to resist Aethyr's initial attack directly are Superman and Quex-El, but Superman is portrayed as superior to Quex throughout pretty much the entire saga. I guess you could use that to make an argument that this scales to all Pre-Crisis Kryptonians, but I'm still getting used to the rules on this site. How do you think it should translate?

That sounds acceptable to me. Quex's potential throughout the story is unclear and confused. Most of the time he seems like a pretty pitiful Kryptonian leagues behind Superman, but at the end he suddenly busts out this line about him being just as fast as Clark. So it's hard to tell if Kara and Krypto would be considered above him or below him.

Okay. Thanks for the help. Is somebody willing to apply these changes?

Thank you. Should I close this thread then?

I only have one question before you do. While editing Superman's page, I also noticed he had resistences to Intangibility, Time Manipulation, and Mind Manipulation. Supergirl and Krypto on the other hand, had no notes about those abilities on their profiles. Should I add a mention on their profiles that those abilities also likely scale from Superman?

That seems fine. I will unlock the pages again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back