• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Verse Equalization: Chi/Mana/Mystical Energy

Quick! Make everything that deals with Magic, Chi, and whatever falls under these fictional concepts all fit in one system! AKA Equalize these Verse Mechanics! (And make my job easier)

Ground rules/starting assumptions:

1. Chi/Mana are kinda the same thing, just from different sources. Chi comes from the Soul, and Mana comes from the world/universe around you. (And, for my verse's Mechanics— remember, you're helping me implicitly— let's assume that Mana is the Chi of the Universe, as an explanation for why they are the same/kinda the same thing)

2. I'll tell you what i'm gonna use as my verse mechanic— since mine is supposed to be a composite system. I'm open to suggestions, and I certainly will object to certain ideas if I find them to be limiting or too... whatever. Doesn't stop you from suggesting!

Amexim said:
Hm. Interesting. Explain?
Nasuverse stuff sould be self-explainitory/obvious

SCP stuff is due to the god tiers getting High 1-B and one of the mid end ones (Abstract Skarlet King) getting sealed by magic from a bunch of different people

I mean, yeah, Nasuverse has conceptual stuff, and simple stuff too. I just want to know what you mean by "everything is Magic".

Amexim said:
I mean, yeah, Nasuverse has conceptual stuff, and simple stuff too. I just want to know what you mean by "everything is Magic".
reality warping and magic are a catch-all term for supernatural shit in SCP

Sounds like people in SCP don't know the difference, and may not be a reliable source for that? Makes sense, given my limited knowledge of SCP. Isn't, like, everyone but 3 beings an elderich abomination trope? Exaggerating, but still.

Reality warping is technically any supernatural ability, at least how we define it, and magic is only slightly less broad, even here

also, basically every god-tier is an eldritch abomination of some kind, usually abstract in some way

But in fiction, not every supernatural ability is magic though, which is what this thread is about.

Yeah, I love the Nasuverse, but I can't participate or contribute to CRT's for the reasons that I love it, it's complexity. My goal is to make a system with a bunch of contradictions and complexity— but really just is as malleable as Magic is in fiction as a whole.

Oh, let's not forget Nasuverse has a bunch of shit like the distinction between Magic of the Age of the Gods and Magecraft— and how Magic is tied to perception (basically?) and is mitigated by the World or something.

How do you think I (or we?) could balance the fact that the World overwrites Magic (or is it just Gradation Air) because it recognizes there are things that shouldn't be real? Kinda like a computer that corrects its own bugs?

Amexim said:
But in fiction, not every supernatural ability is magic though, which is what this thread is about.
right, but magic is usually the explaination/agreed upon term, since the vast majority of fiction just calls basically everything magic

But it's not the term we're analyzing, but the actual stuff that qualifies as magic. We call slight of hand magic, when it isn't actually magic. Ignorant characters in fiction might call the X-men's Powers magic, but that's not magic.

Well, leaving that behind as I'm not not great at determining what is technically magic

Verses where Chi is a big thing would have have a field day, as they'd all get magic as well as whatever they get from Chi

Also, magic is defined here as "The ability to manipulate reaily, bypassing the laws of physics," which is basically every power to some extent

Well, Chi is already magic. In certain verses, Chi is used to cast Spells instead of Mana. Like the Kido system in Bleach, or the Jutsu of Naruto. Both resemble Eastern Magic— Onmyodo, iirc. The best way to think of a verse with both of these things equalized would be that Chi and Mana are the same thing, from different places or sources. Chi is internal, Mana is external. Both can do the exact same things, like being able to make Energy Blasts or being able to cast spells that make energy blasts.

In Naruto and series that have "casting requirements", I would have to say those characters suck at manipulating it compared to someone who can just cast a spell without using a chant or hand seals. Like, Naruto sucks at using Chi/Chakra ([Internal] Spiritual Energy) compared to Goku. Even if there was a Chakra Blast handseal Jutsu like the Kamehameha or if Goku could use nature transformation, Goku wouldn't need handseals. Think of how Hagoromo or Kaguya doesn't need to use them to cast Jutsu. In Naruto, seals are a bit inconsistent though. Sometimes, ninjas don't need handseals for Chakra Control. Boruto didn't need to wield a handseal to make his fist lightning, and B didn't either.

In my verse, this casting time— done by spoken or thought incantations or gestures or items designed to make it easier to control and focus the energy— is because of a lack of skill or capability— depending on if it's because the spell or attack is complex for their level or if they need to do it in general. I think this is an accurate way to view fiction.

I mean, Goku can just put his Chi in his fist with the same ease as moving his arm. Tsunade (sometimes) has to use a handseal to do it. As an example.

More like; you don't have cast times if you're a ******* god at wizarding/monking. Kaguya could manipulate Chakra without handseals. Indra— who has 1/4 her DNA invented handseals apparently, and even then, his brother could just manipulate wind chakra without hand seals after he finished training to be his rival.

ok, so:

your verse is gonna have chi and magic be related, like a magic to body, chi to universe/larger, abstract body relation, with naruto style hand seals, correct?

i may have missed a few things, but this is the general jist from what i can tell

Magic is the chi of the universe, Chi is the Mystical/Spiritual energy of the Body.

Hand seals, incantations, basically whatever the characters can do to help them focus their energy. Though, people adept in controlling Mystical Energy (be it both types or of one type) may not need to use outside objects or methods as a focus. The mechanics of Magic and how one accesses the Spiritual or Mystical Energies of the universe is also based on an amalgamation and interpretation of other series mechanics.

So the stuff that tends to trigger the "magic" is less causing it and more focusing it's effects?

that makes a lot of sense actually, if i understand you

Yes. Incantations and hand seals are designed to help focus the mind and, in turn, focus these Energies. This has some basis in real life. IRL handseals are made with meditative purposes— trying to focus the mind and bend it to be in a certain states of mind. Prayers or Mantras are verbal versions of handseals. Not every prayer is like that, but some prayers are said by people to relieve themselves of stress or purify their minds and hearts.

The thing I do with the limitations of magic is... well, the explanation for why some verses have certain things Chi and magic can't do or only work a specific way is because of... perspective. "Culture". A specific way of teaching or wielding these things— like different schools.

For example, say Bleach and all Verses that use Chi/Spirit Energy inhabit the same setting. In Bleach, Shinigami and Quincy have this idea that there's two forms of Spiritual Energy. Reiryoku and Reiatsu. Reiryoku is their Spirit Energy itself, and could be interpreted as the energy at rest. Reiatsu is the pressure of the energy, and could be interpreted as the active Spiritual Power. That's what I read off of the Bleach wiki at least.

Naruto believes Chakra is comprised of 2 things— Physical & Mental Energy. Mental Energy is called Spiritual Energy, but the more accurate translation is Mental Energy— but even if you want to say it is, check out this idea.

They're both factually incorrect— at least in my verse. It's all a bunch of philosophies and theories and interpretations that talk about the same thing but believe different things about it. Like Creation Stories in Myths— every culture had one, and all of them were wrong, even though they were talking about the same reality.

Back