• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Super Smash Discussion 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.

Tell me a non-gaming character that woudn´t be considered as ill-tasted then, as I´m sure hardly anyone would complain about a few non-gaming characters getting in.

He only rejected manga, not everything that isn´t gaming.

The only one I can think about is Captain N, ie a character created by Nintendo for the video games and he is still stretching it.

Within the context it was pretty clear everything else got rejected.

It was in a really recent interview regarding who can come in Smash iirc, pretty sure a quick google search can find it

It's probably safest to assume that Nintendo will only accept video game characters for the time being. Until they do something else, this would probably make the most sense, and aside from that, there are plenty of requested characters that would be considered in ill-taste already, such as Sans or Freddy Fazbear.

Sans is actually of good taste, I mean, we got UT on Switch, but as he isn´t the main character... I´m also sure the EB fans would hate it if he became a Ness echo.

Found it

Huh, "requires everyone´s cooperation".

Mmm... This means that if the owner fo the IP knows how to make videogames very well and isn´t from a manga, they actually stand a chance.

There are rumors about Spongebob getting a remake of his Battle for Bikini Bottom game (which is really his best game ever made so far), so maybe if they contacted Nick and THQ it could work out...

Denial is the first stage of grief...........

Within the context, its pretty clear that he means anything outside of videogames.

I know a lot of people don't want there to be eight FE reps, but I'd be really happy if we ended up getting Edelgard as DLC, we'd be getting another female character and Smash and a Fire Emblem character who ISN'T using a sword

Well has he gone against it in these 10 years? If not, it means literally everything as it basically gets proved over all these years.

Not really.

Ridley was too big.

Chrom was not unique enough.

Villager and Wii Fit Trainer aren't fighting characters.

Sakurai changes his mind a lot over the years.

Remember when Smash was a Nintendo brawler?

Now it represents a "video game archive in the form of a fighting game".

Who knows what it will be tomorrow?

Saying that "this character won't get in because of X reasons" is just ridiculous. Just because he hasn't done it yet, doesn't mean it won't be done.

Anything is possible at this point.

Like I said,

Ridley was significantly redesigned, like comparing SSJ4 Goku and kid Goku

Which is why Chrom is an echo character

Which they aren't, he had to make entirely new moves for them.

There was never a point when he said non-Nintendo characters couldn't enter, they just lacked the publicity.

Literally every example you brought, he didn't 'change his mind', he changed the character fundamentally to fit Smash.

How the heck does he change their origin?

What about the one in which he said Smash 4 didn´t have a story mode because YouTube would share them just like Brawl?

Nope, but Ultimate did, which makes the trustworthyness of his statements variable in the long run.

Well, the way he said it maked it sound like it would be like that for the upcoming ones.

There´s also the statement he has made for Melee, Brawl AND 4 saying it would be the last one of the series.

That has more to do with personal dealings rather than the state of affairs with Smash tho.

What do redesigns, creating move sets, or making them a clone character have to do with anything?

Saying the character won't be in the series for X reasons and then putting them in the series means he went out of his way to make something he said wouldn't fit in Smash fit in Smash.

Why are manga characters exempt from this treatment?

The meaning of Smash and the exclusivity parameter's shrink with every installment. At this rate, who knows what is possible?

If one stares at something long enough, they'll find some sort of "proof" of their argument. You could look at the roster and find that all characters originate in video games, specifically Nintendo 1st and 3rd party, but a few years prior, only Nintendo's first-party games were allowed - third-party characters in Smash was unheard of. "They're not from Nintendo, why would they be in Smash - a Nintendo fighting game?"

The "rules" have slipped over the decades, and more characters previously unheard of have come into the series.

I'm just saying that manga characters aren't impossible or ludicrous.

Because all of those made it so X reasons no longer count.

Ridley can't enter because of size. Change size = Ridley can enter for example.

Manga characters can't enter. Change origin = Manga Character can enter. However, that's impossible.

Do I have to point out that Nintendo characters only for the first few games is entirely assumption based? These were days before Smash became popular enough to actually make deals with other companies.

And I'm saying you should probably look at Tekke or Jump Force if you want that.

I am ambivalent to manga characters inclusion in Smash Bros, I'm just saying that not including them just because they don't originate in a video game is stupid, and with Sakurai, you never know what's possible.

Hell, R.O.B. is a toy, not a video game character.

Albeit a toy that is heavily connected with Nintendo's early video game history.

Being used to play two obscure ass NES games and was designed to sell the NES as an entertainment system/toy and not a video game system because of the taboo-ness of video game after the crash in '83.

But he's still a toy nonetheless.

Anyway, I'm done talking about this.

@Everyone

Goodnight.

What is basically just a glorified controller exclusively for video games, made by a video game company, solely for the video game market and that has become a video game icon shouldn't be in any way comparable to a popular manga character that just so happened to have games. I don't know how that's even a thing.

Yeah, it is stupid to not include manga characters in a game that is basically a tribute to video game characters.

Hence why I said above that characters extremely related to Nintendo like Captain N are the likely exceptions.

Okay, good night.

Smash was never just first party, given that Pokémon is and has always been a second party series. Sonic was also planned to be in Melee iirc.

I just realized something:

People are always comparing the World of Light trailer to Marvel's Infinity War when it's closer to DC's Blackest Night. Think about it. Kills the main cast who gathered to stop the threat, turns them evil, and the protagonist escapes the death chase via going so fast that they travel through spacetime.

I never followed the DCEU very well.

I'm honestly kind of siding with Warren here, at least when he says who knows what's possible. He's already defied expectations by including a Piranha Plant, a regular fodder enemy, as a playable character. I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai decided to stretch it even further.

That's not remotely something I'd look forward to. I can't think of a single person who'd enjoy that.

Other than Goku (and even then, that's stretching it massively), literally none of those picks wouldn't clash in Smash. I get that Piranha Plant opened the gates to the unknown, but there's like, a limit. At least with Piranha Plant, that's still an enemy from the most recognizable gaming franchise and doesn't look out of place next to the cast. But Spongebob and Shrek? They'd be glaring "holes" in the cast. And don't get me started on 682.

Yeah Spongebob and Shrek would at least have memetic value that would get old after 5 seconds but 682 doesn't even fit in at all. Not even ironically.

I was just joking with that.

But I really, REALLY want Spongebob in.

Still not as bad as if Reinhard got in.

I guarantee at least one or two of these characters is getting in for DLC:

Geno, Sora, Waddle Dee, Paper Mario, Skull Kid, Chorus Men

Geno I think has the biggest case to be made as illustrated by TerminalMontage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back