• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Stomps involving powers and abilities not used in character

Andytrenom said:
My opinion is the same
If the character's wincon is something that he would rather lose the fight than resort to, then the matchup is bad.

If it's something he simply doesn't start out with, then it's valid.
Everyone agrees with this?

Andytrenom said:
My opinion is the same

If the character's wincon is something that he would rather lose the fight than resort to, then the matchup is bad.

I second this. If Superman needs to nuke the planet to win, the match up is bad. If it's Luke Skywalker against some other guy with thought based hax who doesn't open with them, it's decisive.

Andytrenom said:
My opinion is the same

I agree

Okay, how can the agreed-on clarification above be worded to then be added to the Stomp Thread page?

While we are at it, maybe we can also clarify what exactly is a decisive match.

You need to stop trying to clarify what a stomp is and isn't, it's a case by case and there's far too many different opinions.

Schnee One said:
You need to stop trying to clarify what a stomp is and isn't, it's a case by case and there's far too many different opinions.
We can just make it more broad and ambiguous as needed for the page.

Good luck doing that because their will be dozens who disagree with it depending on the match.

We can't clarify it.

Challenge accepted.

Basically:

A stomp match is:

- Character A has X power/strategy, which is the only way it has to actually win at all, but doesn´t use with it in character (soon enought to realize it´s the only way avaiable to win and is reliable enought, including the strategy behind such), while Character B has Y power/strategy that actually leads with and Character A doesn´t resist/can take at all, leading to Character A not being able to retort with their own powers or stadistics.

- Character A would rather lose than using X power/strategy, which is the only way it has to actually win at all, while Character B has Y power/strategy that actually leads with and Character A doesn´t resist/can take at all, leading to Character A not being able to retort with their own powers or stadistics.

Thoughts?

For the exact same reasons I've said each time

Not using a move in time because of a character flaw or not leading with it doesn't make it a stomp

Conversely starting with something that an opponent doesn't resist doesn't make it a stomp

The problem is if the wincon is reliable "enought", not having at least a single one to begin with, otherwise matches like Spongebob with Magic Book against some haxless 2-A would be actually addable to pages, which aren´t as I´ve done stuff less worse than that and the staff has taken such acts as mismatches/stomps

It's not a matter of being reliable enough, that is case by case

Not having one or not, is the question

Can we set a simple somewhat flexible probability limiter in that case?

Say, in a Versus Thread, X character has to stand a chance to win of at least of 15% to not be a stomp.

That is extremely arbitrary, unnecessary and impossible to actually determine in a match

Every match

Literally every descisive match

Certain matches where shooting first is involved for example

What defines a "decisive" match? That one is something that should be easier to define for the page (as it´s only mentioned and not actually described)

Very well.

It is fine for it to be defined in the Stomp page? Just asking to be safe.

Back