• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Star Wars Starships Downgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

ByAsura

He/Him
VS Battles
Administrator
This calculation is invalid due to planetary curvature revisions. It's not even close enough to the horizon for the new formula, and I honestly don't think the art in the comic is really accurate enough for it to be valid. However, as I said in the last thread, this calculation is still valid for shielded vessels of similar size.

The problem is, with the exception of the The Clone Wars, shields in the films and comics are typically within metres of each other and take a lot of firepower to harm each other, so what we need to look at are vessels capable of destroying vessels of this size and firepower rather quickly.

As an example, of similar vessels, the Arquitens-class Command Cruiser is a light cruiser designed to support capital ships with amazing offensive and defensive capabilities, whereas the Quasar-Fire can easily be destroyed by ships with light turbolasers. Nebulon-Bs are also 300 metres long and described as heavily armed and shielded vessels, having medium turbolasers instead of light or heavy.

There's plenty of examples where ISDs shred Nebulon-Bs. But you could chalk this up to lack of plot armour and prior damage.
  • Local space lit up as dozens of energy beams loosed by the Star Destroyer converged on the much smaller vessel. In moments the ship’s shields were overwhelmed and the beams began to take their toll, obliterating the Nebulon’s rudder-like ventral appendage, then severing the spar that connected the main body of the ship to the engine module. Cracked open, the ship spilled its contents into space and imploded, sucking countless droid fighters into its blistering collapse.
  • One of their Nebulon frigates breaks in half—its front end still firing the full detachment of weapons, peppering the side of a Star Destroyer.
The Interdictor, which is armed with overpowered quad lasers rather than turbolasers, was burning through the Quasar's shields and vaporizing sections of the hull. The damage in the calculation above barely manage to penetrate the vessel's shields and partially crippled it, so this is only a bit inferior.

I think standard and light turbolasers should probably stay the same or downscale to Large Mountain level, while Star Destroyers can just stay as they are. The calculation is based on penetrating a hole in one section of the shielding, whereas TIE Fighters find small gaps between shields (capital ships tend to have port, starboard, aft, fore, dorsal and ventral shielding, plus or minus a couple) and capital ships have to engage by peppering shields with lots of energy blasts. It strongly depends on the fight, but there are scenes where ships can deal moderate damage to a single shield layer by concentrating their fire on that section.

Last edited:
This seems fine to apply to me as well.

Thank you for helping out. Tell us here when you are done and we can close this thread.

I forgot to add them. I was a little busy and lost the thread in my notifications.

Turns out there were less edits to make than I thought. I'm done.

Should I just close this, or does anyone have anything else to say?

I think that we can close this now.

I will do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back