• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Staff help needed with Marvel Comics revisions

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Head Bureaucrat
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

As many of you probably know, several of our Marvel profiles are currently very unreliable thanks to the enormous inconsistencies from story to story and writer to writer.

Matthew has requested help from other staff members to help him improve on their reliability.

Currently, the most blatant problems are the following:

1) The multiversal cosmic entities have almost all been placed at High 1-B, thanks to that the Marvel multiverse has been portrayed as infinite-dimensional in certain older stories.

However, the problem is that in other stories it has strictly been portrayed as a 2-A infinite collection of universes.

This includes "Avengers: Time Runs Out", in which The Beyonders were destroying the entire multiverse by causing universes to collide with each other, and were killed by an explosion that destroyed a few thousand of them at once. Yet they also personally killed most of the multiversal cosmic hierarchy, including The Living Tribunal.

Another example was Al Ewing's recent "Ultimates" storyline, in which The First Firmament had overpowered and chained the multiversal incarnation of Eternity. The problem is that it was here revealed that he was the original, larger, multiverse, that his creations the Celestials had split into several universes that formed a multiverse (this also referenced an older X-Men storyline, where this was first mentioned), and that the Maker and the High Evolutionary were able to strengthen Eternity by merging all of multiverse into one single universe.

This also turned it impossible to give a proper rating to the "Lifebringer" version of Galactus, who defeated Lord Chaos and Master Order, who in turn killed the new Living Tribunal, or to Logos, who was created by both Chaos, Order, and The In-Betweener combining into one.

Yet another example is the Fantastic Four "Abraxas" storyline, in which Multi-Eternity first appeared, and was stated to simply be composed of all parallel universes, and that is it. The Ultimate Nullifier here managed to defeat Abraxas and repair Multi-Eternity, which has given it a 2-A rating.

Then there is the "Chaos War", in which the Chaos King managed to absorb/destroy almost 99% of the Marvel multiverse, but I don't think that any higher dimensions were mentioned in conjunction, and Hercules with skyfather powers (this is what characters such as Odi and Zeus are called) was somehow almost able to stalemate him, and restore everything that he had destroyed afterwards. A 2-A boost from 3-B or 3-A is hard enough to accept in itself, but a High 1-B skyfather seems completely ridiculous.

As such, it is likely best to give any embodiments of the Marvel multiverse and their equals (The Living Tribunal, Multi-Eternity, Chaos, Order, Infinity) a "Variable. Differs between 2-A and High 1-B depending on the storyline" rating, whereas the Beyonders, Logos, Abraxas, the Ultimate Nullifier, Lifebringer Galactus, the First Firmament, post-retcon Molecule Man, and possibly The Never Quee, receive 2-A ratings, based on the storylines in which they have appeared.

The Chaos King and skyfather Hercules are more uncertain, but "At least 2-A" might be best.

Pre-Retcon Beyonder should obviously keep his High 1-B rating, and Oblivio has always been the beyond-dimensional void outside of the multiverse, not a part of it, so 1-A seems appropriate here as well, and The Protege managed to exceed the power of the classic Living Tribunal, and has not appeared since then, so High 1-B seems fine here as well.

However, we need to discuss which characters that should receive which ratings.

2) There are several powerhouse characters incapable of spaceflight, that nevertheless have MFTL+ combat speed ratings, by scaling from Thor. This includes the Hulk, A-Bomb, Red Hulk, Abomination, etcetera. They are scaled from that the Hulk and Red Hulk can keep up with Thor, but have no personal feats that exceed Massively Hypersonic, and are consistently portrayed as at best as swift as Spider-Man. I personally like several of these characters, so rating them much lower is somewhat uncomfortable for me, but the reliability of the wiki is more important.

3) There are still several profiles with outdated scaling from Marvel handbook statistics, and we are trying to get rid of that.

4) Most of the 9-A profiles do not actually state from which character that they have been scaled, although I think that it is The Punisher's durability.

Help would be very appreciated, as Matthew is currently busy in real life, and I am overworked in general, as usual.

NOTE: STAFF ONLY

Okay...

"This includes "Avengers: Time Runs Out", in which The Beyonders were destroying the entire multiverse by causing universes to collide with each other, and were killed by an explosion that destroyed a few thousand of them at once. Yet they also personally killed most of the multiversal cosmic hierarchy, including The Living Tribunal."

This obviously shows that the 100,000+ universes is PIS. Also that might have been just the shockwave of the explosion. I've seen Tier 1 fights happen inside buildings. They killed the Living Embodiment of the Multiverse and collective entity of the Abstracts with ease.

"Another example was Al Ewing's recent "Ultimates" storyline, in which The First Firmament had overpowered and chained the multiversal incarnation of Eternity. The problem is that it was here revealed that he was the original, larger, multiverse, that his creations the Celestials had split into several universes that formed a multiverse (this also referenced an older X-Men storyline, where this was first mentioned), and that the Maker and the High Evolutionary were able to strengthen Eternity by merging all of multiverse into one single universe."

Yet the Maker also references a 1960s Fantastic Four story where infinite spatial dimensions are mentioned, by name even, and the story did show higher levels of realities. Hell, Lifebringer Galactus outright stated that infinite parallel universes was just a fraction of what he could perceive.

"Yet another example is the Fantastic Four "Abraxas" storyline, in which Multi-Eternity first appeared, and was stated to simply be composed of all parallel universes, and that is it. The Ultimate Nullifier here managed to defeat Abraxas and repair Multi-Eternity, which has given it a 2-A rating."

The story states that Multi-Eternity is the "Embodiment of a boundless multivere". The Marvel Multiverse has infinite spatial dimensions. Thus, it is High 1-B.

"Then there is the "Chaos War", in which the Chaos King (Marvel)|Chaos King managed to absorb/destroy almost 99% of the Marvel multiverse, but I don't think that any higher dimensions were mentioned in conjunction, and Hercules (Marvel Comics)|Hercules with skyfather powers (this is what characters such as Odin (Marvel Comics)|Odin and Zeus (Marvel Comics)|Zeus are called) was somehow almost able to stalemate him, and restore everything that he had destroyed afterwards. A 2-A boost from 3-B or 3-A is hard enough to accept in itself, but a High 1-B skyfather seems completely ridiculous."

Wrong. Skyfather Hercules is 3-A. That was Hercules boosted by Gaia's power of creation. The creation of the multiverse, that is. You could have looked at the power. Skyfather Hercules and Chaos King Hercules are different keys.

"As such, it is likely best to give any embodiments of the Marvel multiverse and their equals (The Living Tribunal, Multi-Eternity, Chaos, Order, Infinity) a "Variable. Differs between 2-A and High 1-B depending on the storyline" rating, whereas the Beyonders, Logos, Abraxas, the Ultimate Nullifier, Lifebringer Galactus, the First Firmament, post-retcon Molecule Man, and possibly The Never Queen, receive 2-A ratings, based on the storylines in which they have appeared."

I disagree entirely. You are speaking under the unreasonable demand that every story needs to mention infinite higher dimensions. That is absurd.

Some of this stuff seems...hard to deal with, to say the least, so I'll answer what I can.

For one, I can name two verses that make bigger jumps than the one you find hard to believe (3-B to 2-A), so that's not a problem.

Differing storylines are different. Marvel has been shown with infinite dimensions, so that's what we should go by, rather than the other versions. Closest example I can think of is how the Demonbane creator swears up and down that his characters top out at 2-A, but they're 1-A here regardless. This however, is a...weird version, as there have been enough showings to make me think other things, like all the examples you've given.

I am fine with propositions 2) to 4), however, but I disagree with your argument relating to the Abstracts. I think you are simply exaggerating a problem and making unreasonable demands for statements to appear all the time. And when statements do appear, like the Maker mentioning the Crossroads of Infinity, you state that "It was simply mentioned because it sounded cool".

Also, the argument that the character cannot be higher dimensional when emphasis is put on feats destroying multiple universes is absurd.

When Demonbane and Nyarlathotep fight, one of their clashes destroys 100,000 universes. And later Nyarlathotep causes the birth and death of infinite universes. Should that only make then 2-B or 2-A? No.

When Randolph Carter meets with Yog-Sothoth, a lot of emphasis is placed with how his voice sounds like universes meeting and crashing onto a singularity. Should he only be Tier 2?

Hajun is stated to "Destroy an untold amount of universes" with a word. Does that make him only Tier 2?

Much like a Planet level character can destroy a building, a High 1-B or 1-A character can destroy a universe.

The Marvel multiverse was explicitly completely destroyed by mere universes colliding with each other. It is not possible to rationalise away that fact.

The crossroads of infinity were never mentioned to refer to higher dimensions within this storyline. What was explocitly mentioned is that the multiverse was created by a single larger universe was split into smaller parts, and that merging them together into one whole simply created a larger universe that was stronger than its parts.

A boundless universe multiverse is extremely unspecific, and could mean anything.

Gaea awakened higher power within Hercules, yes, but has consistently been portrayed as below even the Celestials. She is not remotely a High 1-B entity.

@Antvasima

Maybe they weren't because they are a reference to another story, and the author expects familiaritty to that story?

If Thor in one story fights Hela and ends up destroying a sun, causing it to go Supernova, that is a feat. But then if another story references that very fight with Hela, but doesn't mention the sun blowing up, does that suddenly mean that the sun never exploded?

"What was explocitly mentioned is that the multiverse was created by a single larger universe was split into smaller parts, and that merging them together into one whole simply created a larger universe that was stronger than its parts"

That doesn't change the fact that the Multiverse was explicitly shown with Higher Dimensions in the storyline.

I am not demanding that every story should refer to an infinite-dimensional multiverse, I am stating that when it is explicitly stated to simply consist of parallel universes in at least 3 different prominent storylines, this creates a massive amount of contradiction, and we need to acknowledge that for the sake of our reliability.

Antvasima said:
A boundless universe multiverse is extremely unspecific, and could mean anything.
Gaea awakened higher power within Hercules, yes, but has consistently been portrayed as below even the Celestials. She is not remotely a High 1-B entity.

So why do you assume the lowest possible interpretation?

So if you know that Gaea was what empowered Hercules, why did you say that it was Skyfather Hercules? Also, yes, maybe a high-end for Gaea, but not for the Hercules that only appears in that one storyline and never again. He gained the power of the multiverse's creation to fight a being who was the equal opposite of Multi-Eternity and was consuming all of existence, as stated many times.

Antvasima said:
I am not demanding that every story should refer to an infinite-dimensional multiverse, I am stating that when it is explicitly stated to simply consist of parallel universes in at least 3 different prominent storylines, this creates a massive amount of contradiction, and we need to acknowledge that for the sake of our reliability.
Not the case with Chaos War. Not the case with the Ultimates. I haven't read Time Runs Out myself but I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case there either.

The multiverse was not shown to have infinite higher dimensions in the Ultimates. The situation is very much the opposite. All that you have to go by is the sentence "crossroads of infinity" used when merging the multiverse into a single universe.

Wrong, it was shown to have higher dimensions. I even showed you the scans multiple times in multiple previous threads but you seem to ignore / forget it. The "space" in which the Abstracts fought was even called "The highest level of reality" multiple times.

And what is the problem with all of the multiverse becoming one thing?

The Crossroads of Infinity are infinite-dimensional, too.

I am very tired, and have to go to a meeting soon, but as I have stated earlier, the Ultimates and Time Runs Out repeatedly explicitly refer to parallel universes composing the entirety of the Marvel multiverse.

I am not stating that we should remove the High 1-B ratings from the Living Tribunal and other multiversal abstracts. I am juat saying that we should acknowledge that Marvel is highly inconsistent, in order to improve the reliability of the wiki.

I would appreciate if you were more collaborative.

Basically, if the multiverse had been infinite-dimensional in those stories, it should not have remotely mattered if all of the 4-dimensional universes disappeared, and merging them together should also have been completely irrelevant for the strength of Multi-Eternity.

"the Ultimates and Time Runs Out repeatedly explicitly refer to parallel universes composing the entirety of the Marvel multiverse."

Objectively incorrect. Going to repost some stuff:

"He shows The Ultimates how he perceives the universe : Namely, he can see Space-Time as a tangible thing , and all infinite variations of it .

Yet that was all just a small fragment of the true thing.

The full scope of what he can see is Eternity . The same Eternity which is a Multiverse / Omniverse. Which is Multi-Eternity. Agai

He was also outside of it. And when he faced Chaos and Order, they were clear that they were all beyond regular Space and capable of using their full power."

"And it is different because the Ultimates, while traveling to outside the Omniverse...

Start on Earth, through deep space and into the space between universes

To eldritch space beyond all known and possible things

Yet they are still inside the Omniverse

I.E, the space between all universes and the space beyond all known and thought possible things is still but a portion of Eternity, the Omniverse."

So as you can see... The Ultimate story does have Higher levels of reality and the Multiverse isn't just 2-A.

As it is our Marvel profiles are an incoherent mess, and a shame for this wiki. I would much prefer if we do something about it, but am far too busy and tired to argue about it for hours.

Then how do you explain the First Firmament being a single larger universe, the Celestials creating the multiverse by splitting him into smaller parts, and Eternity being greatly strengthened by merging into a single universe? The logic of the story does not make any sense to me.

Also, I note that you tend to spend a lot more effort in arguing against my attempts to improve the Marvel profiles, than actually helping me with practical edits.

I want to fix Marvel more than anyone. I am the one responsible for most of the changes and improvements both with Marvel and DC on this wiki.

I just disagree with you on the High 1-B stuff. If you look, I agree with the other three points. That meanst I agree with 75% of the stuff you said.

Okay. Sorry if I was being rude. I am very frustrated by the Marvel situation dragging out for several months, eventually having to take several hours of extra work myself to get any cleanups done, barely getting any responses when I talked with you in private about this, taking the time to write a revision thread for you after you requested help, and then having to spend even more energy arguing against you about perfectly blatant statements within the cited stories.

No problem. Thanks anyway.

Okay. No problem. I would appreciate if you would acknowledge that Marvel is blatantly extremely inconsistent from story to story however.

(Addressing the OP)

1. I agree with Matt.

2. Is them not having MFTL+ feats really an issue? That's why scaling exists. 95% of SMT has no 2-A feats of their own, nor does Sora have 4-B feats or Goku Black have 3-A feats. Also, what does them not having space flight have to do with anything?

3. I'll see what pages I can find that mention it.

4. Yes, I do believe that was it.

@The Everlasting

The MFTL+ speed creates massive inconsistencies in general.

Thank you for the help with checking through the profiles.

Thing is, do we even know how Chaos King ate the universes? All in one go? One or few at a time?

I'm leaning more towards the latter as being more sensible. That, and he could've just ate the regular universes and not the higher dimensions, if that even makes sense.

The Chaos King was devouring all of existence and returning it all to the void of nothingness that was before creation. You can check my Oblivion blog.

It's a High 1-B feat.

Antvasima said:
A 2-A boost from 3-B or 3-A is hard enough to accept in itself, but a High 1-B skyfather seems completely ridiculous.
I'm sorry but this seems like an irrelevant argument from incredulity. Fiction is fiction. They can have absurd boosts in power, which we accept all the time. We have characters that have gone from 8-A to High 1-C and even someone who went from 10-B to 1-A. As long as the feats and statements support new forms having these higher powers (which I'm not arguing whether or not they do) then it doesn't matter what the gap between their new form and previous form is.

EDIT: If the issue is that "Skyfathers' powers shouldn't have boosted Hercules that much" fiction often has non-linear power boosts. Is Goku no longer 3-A since he got that boost from four Tier 4s, a 9-B and a 10-C? Or Cosmic Adventures Supergirl not being High 1-C since she got that powerboost from emotions and a quintillion suns. Or Ryuko not being Multi-Continent since that form was boosted from a bunch of characters who don't pass Tier 7.

As for handbook pages...

Moon Knight

Crimson Dynamo I

Mister Sinister

Rona

Fin Fang Foom (Pretty sure he scales to the Hulk anyway, but I'm not sure)

Black Bolt

Deadpool

Adam Warlock

Legio

Balder

Ares

Moonstone (This one just confuses me. Isn't she a Ms. Marvel villain? Just scale her to her)

Cyclops

Ant-Ma (Also, it was agreed a while ago that Pym Ultron doesn't scale to Ultron because nothing implies he does)

Uatu The Watcher

Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

Baymax (Marvel Comics)

Quicksilver

Vision

Spider-Man 2099

Thanos (Just his Lifting Strength)

Loki

Iron Ma

Silk (Speed is fine, just the second half of the justification)

Speed Demon

Also, why do half of these end in "(Marvel Comics)" when there are no other pages with the name?

@Ryukama

Okay. Never mind then.

@The Everlasting

Likely because Marvel has several forms of media featuring the characters.

Somebody still has to go through the pages that The Everlasting found in any case.

I was told to mention that the Phoenix Force and its avatars also need to have their statistics revised, as do the Celestials and Franklin Richards for that matter, but that is unrelated to my previously mentioned suggestions.

How many years worth of Marvel knowledge do you generally need to have for these revisions? Or are they generally issue specific?

Marvel is a complicated dense mess to get into unfortunately. I have personally read several thousand issues, and tried to explain within the first post. I also still technically believe in the overall principles within it.

This is honestly stupid to deal with any further TBH.

Can't really do much as much of anything I like of this verse...

Back