• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwynbleiddd

VS Battles
Retired
The lowest parts of the speed scale are empty so i think that these ratings should be fine

Below Average Human (0-5 m/s)

Normal Human (5-7 m/s)

Athletic Human (which for some reason doesn't exist in our scale) (7-? m/s)

Here we run into a small problem ,is Usain Bolt's top speed considered to be the top of human athletes (and the start of peak human speed) or is he the top of peak human speed.

The decision about the peak human ratings will influence the superhuman ratings as well.

I like the addition of athletic human, since I noticed it being a asueful distinction for normal human fighters.

I have a question to the suggested values though:

Why does normal human go from 5-7 m/s and athletic human from 7-10 m/s?

Do we really have that big of a range for Below Average Human? Just curious.

I think what Aizen said makes sense. So far, there's no other human on our planet that has been able to match, overcome, or even get near Usain Bolt's recorded. So as Aizen said, U.Bolt should be listed as the top of Peak Human level speed.

Other than that, that also seems fine with me as well with what you said (refer to second comment of yours). @Kkapoios.

Edit: @SDZiel: So......don't use that for our top speed for peak humans?

Edit #2: Wait, is the staff supposed to only make these decisions on this or....? @Kka...again

im fine with this change

adn for athelete level i think we shud cud the highest recorded speed or maybe the theoretical value....

A healthy human can reach speed at least around 20 km/h (5.5 m/s) so i think that for an average person (that doesn't work out that much) 5 m/s would be a good low end.

A good time for a 100 m run is 12 to 13 sec (7.7-8.3 m/s) while top athletes can have a time of 9.9 sec (average speed = 10.1 m/s)

After thinking about it a bit , Peak humans should be defined by the theoretical limits of the human body and athletes should be rated according to real life athletes.Otherwise the peak human ratings would have no real value.

So

Normal Human (5-7.7 m/s)

Athletic human (7.7-12.4 m/s)

Peak human (12.4-17.88 m/s) ?

@Kkapoios:

Fair enough. *Nods*

Yeah, i think the ones for Below Average to Peakhuman sounds reasonable enough at the least.

Are these values based on anything, or just approximated?

Anyway, perhaps we should skip the "Peak Human" rating, given that it would rationally be very narrow/close to Usain Bolt's speed record, and replace it with "Athletic Human" instead?

I've explained the reasons on my last comment, i don't think any of the ratings should be exclueded.

Well, I am fine with "Normal Human (5-7.7 m/s)", and "Athletic human (7.7-12.4 m/s)", but do not think that we should start to speculate about potential speed records that have never been set.

Still aren't peak humans supposed to be even stronger than the top athletes.Much how Batman is described as a peak human?

Nah. Batman is a pretend peak human in a fictional comicbook. We are using the term as '''actual''' real world peak human level.

Ok then ,should we remove the term as a whole and replace it with Athletic human or leave it there with a very small "field" like (11-12.4 m/s)?

It is probably best to replace "Peak Human" with "Athletic Human", or just "Athlete", as the latter is more consistent with our ratings for other statistics.

I will edit them to this then

Below Average human (0-5 m/s)

Normal Human (5-7.7 m/s)

Athlete (7.7-12.4 m/s)

Athletic human seems more appropriate to me ,Athlete feels like something is missing.

Well, it is due to that we have used that previously, so it would require much less revision work to keep this terminology. It would also look strange if a profile said

"Strength: Athlete

"Speed: Athletic Human

"Durability: Athlete"

or similar. I prefer if we are as consistent as possible.

I will edit it in according to our standard terms btw.

I didn't know 4 staff members including a Bureaucrat was enough to make this kind of change? Huh...

Well, it is a rather minor change, given that there were no values previously, and I am going to bed soon, so I was being a bit impatient, but if other staff members object, we can adjust the values further.

I am also open for input regarding whether or not we should have a narrow (11-12.4 m/s) peak human rating.

On second thought, it might be better to do so, to avoid having to adjust any profiles.

I still don't like the term athlete used for speed ,it makes sense for AP and durability for it to be Athlete level (because we use the word level) but when it comes to speed we don't use it and just put the word human on the end, Below average human ,normal human ,peak human.

Is this already common practice in our profile pages? As I mentioned, I would prefer if we keep things as consistent as possible.

Well, I agree to not wanting to update all peak human profiles to athletic human, so we might want to keep the peak human stat in some form.

To this point the speed stats for the lower speeds were noted on profiles mostly as "Normal Human", "Athletic Human" and "Peak Human" as far as I am aware.

Hmm. The odd part i noticed is that the highest end of Peak Human is 12.43 m/s, yet we still have Superhuman at 12.4 m/s.

Are we going to do something about that?

Do we change the speed on profiles from "Normal Human" to just "Normal" now? Or can we still use the former?

Either is probably fine. I have sent a PM to Lord Kavpeny about this, but he seems to be busy.

Regardless, since DontTalk thinks that we should keep the Peak Human rating in some form, and I trust his judgement, where exactly should we place the borders? Meaning: What are the usual speed intervals for olympic level athletes?

Okay. Thank you. How about 9.8-12.43 m/s for Peak Human then? Or should we set the lower border higher?

Okay. I will let some more staff members get the chance to reply before applying the change.

So Athlete (or athletic human ,yes i still don't agree with athlete) (7.7-9.8 m/s)

Peak Human (9.8-12.43 m/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back