• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sparda level of power ? Meh, it's okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello :)

This discussion was brought on another topic of DMC reviews, but as that is already relatively old and very large, I think it is better to do a separate post to explain better about this skill

As Devil May Cry 4 players, you should already be aware of the Dreadnaught technique and its effects. Using Royalguard, Dante takes on a new form and becomes extremely resistant to enemy attacks

DMC wiki about Dreadnought:

>>-- "A mysterious technique that transforms the body into a seemingly metallic shell impervious to enemy assault. The duration of the technique is linked to the amount of energy stored within the Royal Gauge."

As the vast majority of Devil May Cry 4 's enemies are completely fodders to Dante, this technique would technically only be a good addition to Dante's arsenal, but there is an enemy that poses a potential danger to our protagonist, The Savior. This friend of ours has the full power of Sparda, a being who beat Mundus in a fight and managed to seal argosax. But even with all this power, NONE of his attacks are capable of doing anything on Dante, while he's using The Dreadnaught Form. Besides, Dante showed no superiority to the savior in a matter of power, only avoiding his attacks and leveling in strength, and using only his habitual resistance, he is vulnerable to the attacks of The Savior, because both are evenly matched

In DMC4 Novel: "Dante used Dreadnaught against the Savior's mega beam attack because he thought he wouldn't be in time to evade it. He also did a long distance Judgment Cut at the blue crystal on its back."

link: http://devils-lair.org/dmc4novel.html

Aaaaand this --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v--J_4IBfMw

In 3:54, we can block The Savior Mage Ultra Power Advanced Beam just using Dreadnaught, it's 0 damage

So, even a Sparda Level character can't even MOVE Dante while he's in this form, absolutely nothing in DMC4 can damage him, Shouldn't that be considered a certain level of invulnerability? He's literally immune to Sparda Level attacks, but only with the Dreadnaght, and this skill have a time limit aswell. And no, i'm not saying that Dante can tank High 1-A attacks, it's just a Invulnerability in DMC's High 6-A level

Description: "Invulnerability is the ability to be able to be immune to harm to an extent outside of the realm of conventional durability. Invulnerable characters can completely avoid taking damage at all from certain attacks, making them much more difficult to harm and defeat."

What do you guys think?

tbh that seems fine and if worded right the NLF will seize really as he can take hits without damage against ppl on his level but nothing more

Yes, if accepted, it would have to be well clarified in Dante's profile. It's only a resistance against enemies of similar power

Hmm, maybe we can add a "Higher with Dreadnaught" in his DMC4/DMC2 durability ?

Maybe it's game mechanics, it will be difficult to prove otherwise, I'll try the Deadly Fortune Novel

When it comes to video games, most versions of Invulnerability come with the connotation that the character using it is invulnerable relative to the attacks the character could expect to get hit by in-verse (not something ten tiers above the character's defense stat), so this is fairly conventional given the info we have and accept at this time. If people exaggerate its effectiveness, that'll be beacuse they misunderstand Invulnerability as it is defined by the wiki, not that they don't get the ability's use here. Therefore we can add this in good conscience, so long as we make sure debaters understand our definition of Invulnerability.

As for how Royal Guard would work in debates, it is an ability that is OP as anything in the right hands, provided the player has the right timing. It even works against the Yamato and moves that can freeze Dante normally. Royal Guard would be extremely dangerous in fights where Dante has equal or greater speed than his opponent, a deadly combo with Time Slow. But, excepting Dreadnought, it wouldn't be much use if the opponent is faster or is allowed some move that's way above the normal tier in AP. Neither would it work if the opponent had some extremely unconventional way of attacking, especially in a non-physical manner.

Wait, Royal Guard works on Yamato's spatial attacks ? o.o

I remember that I only managed to master the Royal Guard Style on DMC4, and yeah, it's op as hell. However, many skills of this style are already listed in Dante's profile, but they are underestimated, in my view

We can block physical and energy based attacks, things like Soul Hax, Mind Hax and these stuff are beyond the reach of this skill, I believe

Yeah, Royal Guard does nothing to soul/mind-related stuff, obviously. And, imporatantly, Dante can Royal Guard the spatial things like a Judgement Cut, instead of just slashes from Yamato directly. Just the direct slashes don't necessarily possess the spatial property (as seen vs Lady's rocket launcher in that one cutscene), or maybe the Yamato's effectiveness depends on how much energy the user has, as Devil Arms are wont to do, but that's besides the point.

I'll leave others to decide what is and isn't game mechanics, but everything should be eligible, imo. Here's a link of some Royal Guard gameplay; I'll be back in a few hours if anyone has questions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0qHoZU_Pcc

Oh, and as for what the OP was saying about how impressive it was that Dante could negate attacks from the Savior, they're both the same tier, anyway, so that's no more than standard Invincibility stuff based on the info and stats we use.

I'm iffy on invulnerability but it definitely gives him a huge defense amp to the point he can casually tank attacks from bosses in it without a problem.

I'm good with "higher with Dreadnought" for Dante's DMC4 & DMC2 keys.

And Dante can block direct slashes with Yamato too, if I recall. I also tend to think that Yamato not cutting through Kalina Ann is PIS.

It's good that Dante has a decent range with Yamato. Hundreds of meters, perhaps?

Yeah, at least this via slashing that Hell Gate

"Higher with Dreadnaught" sounds good, so this would be "Stat amping via Dreadnaught" in his skills list ?

So...

Dante's DMC4 and DMC2 durability would be "At least Multi-Continental, Higher with Dreadnough".

And for his skills: "Statistics Amplification via Dreadnought (Can enhance his own defense and durability to a point that even The Savior can't hurt him)"

What do you guys think?

Dante Demon Killah said:
So...
Dante's DMC4 and DMC2 durability would be "At least Multi-Continental, Higher with Dreadnough".

And for his skills: "Statistics Amplification via Dreadnought (Can enhance his own defense and durability to a point that even The Savior can't hurt him)"

What do you guys think?
Fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back