• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Soul Manipulation against Non-Corporeal Beings

So this has been kinda bothering for a while.

Introductio
Since Soul Manipulation and Non-Physical Interaction are two different abilities, their applications naturally are different, and with effects that aren't the same:

For example, someone with just Non-Physical Interaction, despite being able to harm Non-Corporeal beings, may not be able to attack directly someone's soul, as you'd have to completely bypass the physical body where the soul is bound, something that NPI doesn't allow you to do.

This brings me to my next point: what about Soul Manipulation vs. Non-Corporeal beings?

Soul Manipulation vs Non-Corporeality
Soul Manipulation allows the user to ignore the target's physical body to damage, destroy, steal, drain or absorb their soul, not always one-shotting, but most commonly Ignoring Durability. For the sake of simplicity I'll put into consideration only Soul Damaging and Soul Destruction for both cases below.

So what if the Soul User lacks Non-Physical Interaction? I've been thinking of this:

• If someone possesses Soul Manipulation as an ability, they may still not be directly able to interact with a Non-Corporeal being, as they need to use the physical body that is binding the soul as a connection/medium to interact with it in the first place, thus not being able to interact with a truly disembodied soul.
I know this seems like a rare case, but I was just thinking of it as a possibility.

Does Soul Manipulation Ignore Durability even against a Non-Corporeal entity?
This has been bothering me the most:

So let's pick a character like Undyne: while her type of Soul Manipulation doesn't one-shot, it still ignores durability to an extent, as she can still damage it, and a soul doesn't inherently have durability.

... However, ghosts a lot of the times do have Durability, and they can fight as Disembodied Souls: such is the case for characters like Morro, Danny Phantom, Gengar, etcetera. Those guys have a durability of their own, and it's certainly far higher than Undyne's AP.

So how would her Soul Manipulation come into play here? Would their durability still negated, as she's more so attacking their "essence" rather than the characters themselves, or would they just no-sell her attacks, as by them being disembodied souls, they essentially get Tier 8/7 dura against Undyne's 9-A AP.

And what would happen if one of those ghosts is possessing something?

I think it's more case by case. Depending on the verse and mechanics it could vary with different reasons from writers who don't understand non corporal and soul physiology

Assuming we are just talking about ghosts and spirits and not some other form of non-corporeality, yes a soul manipulation user should be able to interact with them since he's able to interact with a soul, which is a non-corporeal thing unless specified otherwise

Personally I don't believe Undyne should be able to ignore durability against things like ghosts or spirit, since she would just be targeting their actual bodies instead of something within them that doesn't share their overall durability

I'm just using Undyne as an example for characters that can ignore durability by attacking directly the soul, it's just that there aren't many other low-tier characters capable of this that come to my mind.

Well if someone's body is their soul and someone like Undyne who attacks the soul directly obviously wouldn't ignore their durability, because her ignoring of durability comes from attacking the soul.

And if she attacks someone whose soul has a durability higher than her attacks then, yeah they will no sell her attacks.

If they are possessing something someone with soul manip should have no problem hitting them, but again if their soul has a durability and it is someone like Undyne whose AP scales to her soul manip, they would no sell that as well.

Back