• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sora and Shiro vs Komugi from HunterxHunter in Gungi

Yeah, that's what I thought too. It never made sense to me that they beat Tet at his full potential, and then have to exert a little effort beating much lesser beings.

That's because you're taking the battles out of context. Yes, it's true that Tet wasn't playing full god-mode. But at the same time, defeating someone in a regular chess match, even if they are very smart, is probably easier to defeat opponents who outright exert the powers to cheat and use magic when ___ can't use magic. And it's not like chess has the same type of complexities as the other games do, remember that different games exercise different components of intelligence. It's not a 1-dimensional thing. That's why I consider the feats of ____ more impressive than those of Meruem. Yes, it's true he has a much bigger growth rate, but like I said, it's not a one dimensional thing, so I don't think that's decisive in this discussion.

Meruem literally applied that same growth rate, pattern finding and predictive ability to an actual fight against an extremely skilled and experienced opponent though, so it's not one dimensional either. And in terms of games, he played dozens of other games, defeating the champions of those games without effort.

WHYNAUT said:
Meruem literally applied that same growth rate, pattern finding and predictive ability to an actual fight against an extremely skilled and experienced opponent though, so it's not one dimensional either. And in terms of games, he played dozens of other games, defeating the champions of those games without effort.
I'm not saying Meruem's growth is one-dimensional. I'm saying that the paradigm by which we talk about superiority of intelligence is not one-dimensional. The feats that Meruem has are hardly commensurable with those of ____, so just arguing that he has a much bigger growth rate than them doesn't mean anything at all. And I'm not saying his feats aren't impressive, either. I'm just saying that, in the context of a verse like NGNL, I'm not sure how well his feats would hold up compared to ____'s, and so, by the same token, it's unclear how ____ would fare against the force of nen. But given their feats, I do think they stand a chance, I seriously do. I don't have a strong argument for it, I admit it, and I'm not saying you're objectively wrong in think they would lose. I'm just saying that you can't justify your opinion by trying to take their battles out of context in order to make Meruem seem more impressive.

I'd say that even if then his growth rate being greater is actually important, since well, they're only playing one game. If they played multiple different games then sure _____ would have an advantage, but it's just gungi, so one dimensionality doesn't matter.

And I don't think I've said enough on this thread to have taken anything out of context. I haven't done so for Meruem and everything I've said about NGNL is that _____ beating Tet in chess isn't a good argument for them winning due to it being impossible to gauge how impressive that was.

WHYNAUT said:
I'd say that even if then his growth rate being greater is actually important, since well, they're only playing one game. If they played multiple different games then sure _____ would have an advantage, but it's just gungi, so one dimensionality doesn't matter.

And I don't think I've said enough on this thread to have taken anything out of context. I haven't done so for Meruem and everything I've said about NGNL is that _____ beating Tet in chess isn't a good argument for them winning due to it being impossible to gauge how impressive that was.
Mate, why are you putting words in my mouth? My response that originally argued that the battles were being taken out of context by someone was not even directed at you! It was a response to someone else. You decided to respond to that even though it was not directed to you, and I responded by clarifying what that comment was meant to prove. I never said you were taking the battles out of context. If you're going to respond to what a person is saying, then actually take the time to read and understand what they actually are saying. I also never said that defeating Tet was a decisive argument in the first place. In fact, I did not even bring that up!

Also, one-dimensionality does matter, even in the context of a single game. Why does everyone think that the concept of intelligence is as simple as "I'm good at this" versus "I'm not good at this." ? I've already stated once that the feats are not commensurable, so using Meruem's inability to defeat Komugi proves objectively nothing, much in the same way that ____ defeating Tet in the game that they did also proves objectively nothing.

You wrote that part again in a response to me and I hadn't looked at the previous post for a bit at that time, so I had forgotten you had said that to Uchiha. I don't have a perfect memory, you know.

I never said you argued they win because they beat Tet, that was still in response to me thinking that "taking feats out of context" part was directed at me.

Could you elaborate more beause that doesn't really tell me why Meruem's feats wouldn't matter other than intelligence not being that simple. It's the same game, so they would have to apply the same components of intelligence.

Back