• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
One thing to take notice of is that in regard to many retellings of the same story, what I personally see as what matters is the intent and usage of it in future works. With works that are translated, many times the original script is considered the "true one" to be used for future material as many times, the translator has no contact with the original staff nor does the original staff oversee the usage of settings on that translated script, the reason for why sometimes localization make things that were never in the original material, and future materials made by the original staff or the people that took their roles, of course, will have no context for the translated script and aren't going to take it in consideration.

But there are expectations, Pokémon, for example, ever since the 4th generation has all of its translations done in-house and the original staff will directly talk about the script with the translators and oversee the use of the settings and also reveal background settings that were not clear in the original script and the translations can make use of that. So in this case, the translation can reveal details that are not in the original script and in theory, could be used to understand the official settings.

With Sonic there's now a back-and-forth between the English and Japanese scripts ever since Sonic Forces with the script always being checked, Frontiers is just following in that regard. Officially, both the English and Japanese scripts are based on the Japanese settings (As Ian explained, he made the dialogue of the game, and what happens in the game has always been defined by Sonic Team) and the Japanese script is also based on those settings with some settings being made more clear only on the Japanese script. In that case, I see both the English and Japanese scripts as being valid to understand the official settings, because that is literally what is said.

With Sonic there's now a back-and-forth between the English and Japanese scripts ever since Sonic Forces with the script always being checked, Frontiers is just following in that regard. Officially, both the English and Japanese scripts are based on the Japanese settings (As Ian explained, he made the dialogue of the game, and what happens in the game has always been defined by Sonic Team) and the Japanese script is also based on those settings with some settings being made more clear only on the Japanese script. In that case, I see both the English and Japanese scripts as being valid to understand the official settings, because that is literally what is said.
While I know why it happens, I still think it's kinda stupid that scripts "need" to be westernized and vice versa like how in SA2 just before the Chaos 4 fight, Sonic calls Knux simple minded in the JP version yet in the localization it was changed to that oh so iconic line "Knucklehead" I also believe in Colours (Wii) it was like night and day between the JP script Vs Eng script.

I get cultural appeal is important but it shouldn't be used as a tool to alter or straight up change the original creative vision imo. Ofc this is still tame stuff compared to the dark days of Brock calling onigiri a jelly filled doughnut on Pokémon (4kids dub).

While I know why it happens, I still think it's kinda stupid that scripts "need" to be westernized and vice versa like how in SA2 just before the Chaos 4 fight, Sonic calls Knux simple minded in the JP version yet in the localization it was changed to that oh so iconic line "Knucklehead" I also believe in Colours (Wii) it was like night and day between the JP script Vs Eng script.

I get cultural appeal is important but it shouldn't be used as a tool to alter or straight up change the original creative vision imo. Ofc this is still tame stuff compared to the dark days of Brock calling onigiri a jelly filled doughnut on Pokémon (4kids dub).
Some things are just bound to happen due to the culture in regard to that, official materials sometimes don't want to be like fansubs and give the context that the target audience for the original material should culturally know, like in the Pokémon games the Japanese text talks directly about the etymology of the word "Uchu" and how it relates to space and time, of course, that wouldn't work in the English version unless they decided to directly mention it, so the localization vaguely mentions "an ancient language from a faraway place" instead of "In Japanese they say Uchu and that means...".

With Sonic, I find it funny that for this material it's Kishimoto that is doing the changes to make it feel right in Japanese, and as far as I noticed from the early material that was officially shared, it really was a lot of use of keywords that wouldn't work in English and similar things, while also being more direct about it (Some people think that the Japanese version spoiler the mystery of the island in the very first dialogue for example).

Although, of course, Ian Flynn is writing based on what he knows about Sonic, so it's already westernized, so Kishimoto would just be "bringing Sonic back" from a Japanese PoV. As Flynn really lacks some knownledge in regards to some Japanese material, like every single time that he made a reference to Mr. Neddlemouse based on a wrong translation of early notes, that would be something that would make no sense in Japanese because it's a result of west's lack of understanding of the Japanese material.

That's just punching up the translation to convey the same feeling, for example JP contains honorifics that aren't in EN (Ore, Boku, sama and the whole shabang) so they convey them by how the characters speak (Ore is a rude and disrespectful way to refer to one self, So Sonic who uses Ore speaks with an attitude, Sama is a super arrogant way to refer to one self, so Eggman speaks arrogantly because his huge ego), a lot of the Windii's correction are just the same thing said in the official English translation but it's translating the JP dub super literal and missing the little nuances of how they speak.

For example:in the official SA2 translation Sonic says "What can I say? I die hard" while on Windii's translation he says "Stubbornness is my savings grace"...which is roundabout the same thing, but Windii's is super literal while the official translation punches it up a little.

Surprised it hasn't been said yet, but The End literally says it saw inside Sonic's mind and his memories, called out the previous does he beat by calling them God's and all, and basically said they're better cause they're infinite while those previous bosses were only finite.

Not sure if we'll take that as meaning it's above Solaris or not.

Also, it has consumed countless stars and worlds, and "worlds" is the interesting one there. Could just mean planets, though.

It literally says it existed since Time immemorial and Sonic does remember the events of 06 as shown in JP TSR, so yes it is above Solaris, it's true form even more so

I'm pretty sure that at the end of 06, even after Elise essentially removed the events of 06 from happening Sonic was implied to have still remembered the events that had transpired or something

Although Sonic 06 logically should have been forgotten, Sonic seems to remember it. Takashi Iizuka once said they all should remember, but they have a lot of amnesia. Later on Sonic showed to remember those events while other characters didn't, how? We don't know. Ian Flynn thinks that they have some remanent memories that feel like a long lost dream that they sometimes remember a thing or another.

Wait he remembers the events of 06?
In TSR JP, he reminisces of the time Silver tried to kill him, how threatening he was and how far they come since then while Silver has no idea of what he was talking about, so he was referring to those events.

to anyone who's played Frontiers or has been spoiled, what's this whole deal involving memories in the game? Are some characters amnesiac in this game or have parts of their memory been scattered or something? I've been confused about this whole memory thing since day one

The memory parts refer to Cyberspace and the memory of the ancients, since the Cyberspace was made to preserve their legacy, they also make levels out of Sonic's jumbled memories and Sonic and friends start seeing and gaining memories of the ancients, of their entire life up to the final battle with the end...but aside of that and Sonic being shut down because the Corruption, they're fine in the head, no Shadow-like amnesia or amnesia of any kind.

In TSR JP, he reminisces of the time Silver tried to kill him, how threatening he was and how far they come since then while Silver has no idea of what he was talking about, so he was referring to those events.
Kind of funny considering how much Ian and Evan said that SEGA doens't consider Rivals to be canon so Silver is from... nowhere? At least they say that Sonic R of all things was canon e.e

One last question before Frontiers releases tomorrow at EST for me, is Super Sonic only avaiable for these Titan bosses or can you use him in the open zones? I haven't found any info about this and I was curious since Super Sonic is so important in this game

One last question before Frontiers releases tomorrow at EST for me, is Super Sonic only avaiable for these Titan bosses or can you use him in the open zones? I haven't found any info about this and I was curious since Super Sonic is so important in this game
As far as I'm aware Super Sonic is only available in Boss fights, I haven't seen anything about him being avaible for free roam, It's kinda like a middle ground of how he's used in the Adventure-Unpeashed era and how he's used most of the time:He's only available in Boss fights but has far more than just the final boss

As far as I'm aware Super Sonic is only available in Boss fights, I haven't seen anything about him being avaible for free roam, It's kinda like a middle ground of how he's used in the Adventure-Unpeashed era and how he's used most of the time:He's only available in Boss fights but has far more than just the final boss
Really? Aww man, it would've been cool to play as Super Sonic in an open world after you get all the Chaos Emeralds. Oh well, at least he seems to get a good amount of bosses to shine in

Really? Aww man, it would've been cool to play as Super Sonic in an open world after you get all the Chaos Emeralds. Oh well, at least he seems to get a good amount of bosses to shine in
You can't really do that, Sonic losses the Chaos Emeralds everytime he gets to a new island and has to get them back, the last one is almost always on the Titan that you have to climb to get it.

There's no instance in Free Roam were Sonic has all the Chaos Emeralds that isn't to fight again a boss.

You can't really do that, Sonic losses the Chaos Emeralds everytime he gets to a new island and has to get them back, the last one is almost always on the Titan that you have to climb to get it.

There's no instance in Free Roam were Sonic has all the Chaos Emeralds that isn't to fight again a boss.
ohh, really? I didn't know that was a mechanic, I guess that would explain why every titan seems to have a Chaos Emerald from what I've seen. Still, I guess it's better then being only playable against the final boss

PS5 digital pre-order allows me to start playing at 11pm/ 23:00 my time today

If they say the Paradox Prism is "the physical manifestation of the shatterverse", or something similar, and Sonic broke it, I imagine that'd be something.

If they say the Paradox Prism is "the physical manifestation of the shatterverse", or something similar, and Sonic broke it, I imagine that'd be something.

rather it would be something like eggman or tails: the paradox crystal is a crystal of great space-time power, it is capable of connecting to the multiverse, if the crystal is destroyed, the, so to speak, the shatterverse, will begin to collapse and merge with other universes.

oh, maybe the creator of the crystal appears (if there is one) and says: the paradox crystal is the source where all space-time flows, every universe, every possibility, every dimension, everything in the shatterverse comes from the paradox crystal

Sonic suffering the Samus syndrome on every new island? At least he only loses the Emeralds, I believe Lost World was the last time (in the "modern 3D" games) you could play as Super Sonic on regular stages after collecting all 7 Chaos Emeralds.

Back