• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
As Shake said just pay attention to the franchises you like lol

Super Saiyan: Legendary transformation limited to those with Saiyan heritage that amplifies its users by 50x and has several different variants (SSJ2, SSJ3, SSJ4, SSJG, LSSJ, ect). Most often brought about by strong feelings of anger. Can be sustained indefinitely with sufficient training (Cell Saga Gohan and Goku post-training)

Super Form: A transformation potentially anyone can undergo with large amounts of chaos energy, usually via the seven Chaos Emeralds, that amplifies its users in proportion to how much negative or positive energy they absorb from the Emeralds (which works with practically any emotion, not just anger). Grants its users invincibility, flight, and limitless energy. Cannot be sustained indefinitely.

Aside from appearance and having ‘Super’ in the name they’re fundamentally different. So Super Sonic is just a reference/homage, not “ripoff”.

Honestly there are other franchises that deserve the moniker of Dragon Ball rip-off maybe a little more (cough cough Beyblade Metal Saga cough cough)

Honestly there are other franchises that deserve the moniker of Dragon Ball rip-off maybe a little more (cough cough Beyblade Metal Saga cough cough)
Tbh its more of a Saint Seiya "rip-off" imo (especially Metal Fury) I mean a hotblooded redhead main protag that literally draws power from the cosmos via Pegasus, the introduction of various deities, legendary warriors that fought Hades, Etc.

Writing-wise, Super Sonic has been treated differently a lot in his extra media. Early Sonic Media didn't seem to know what Dragon Ball Z was in their writing of Super Sonic.

The French Comic called it "Golden Armor" and STC treated Super Sonic as a berserker-like form akin to the Hulk because of how chaotic it was to play as Super Sonic in Sonic 2.

The writing of Archie's Super Sonic is actually closer to Dragon Ball than the Games, as Archie's Super Sonic kept being used against other Super Forms for fights, while Game treated Super Sonic as Sonic's "win" form. That "win form" writing could just be how the Gameplay of Super Sonic feels to me, so take that part with a grain.

Ah, yes. I too remember Super Sonic first appearing in Sonic 1
Super Sonic didn't appear in Sonic 1, the Chaos Emeralds did. There were only 6 of them at the time, but they pretty much had the same purpose as the Dragon Balls - have the power to be plot armor.

Super Sonic didn't appear in Sonic 1, the Chaos Emeralds did. There were only 6 of them at the time, but they pretty much had the same purpose as the Dragon Balls - have the power to be plot armor.
Dragon Ball indeed invented the concept of fictional magical objects relevant to the plot of a story, yes

Aka Mcguffins and tbh these are my favourites in any verse but from the Sonic franchise I do have a soft spot for the world rings.
Except they’re not "Mcguffins".
Mcguffins are Magical objects that drives the plot, but serves no further purpose. It won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, and it won't do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance.

The Chaos Emeralds and the Dragon Balls are actually significant objects in their respective verses

Except they’re not "Mcguffins".
Mcguffins are Magical objects that drives the plot, but serves no further purpose. It won't pop up again later, it won't explain the ending, and it won't do anything except possibly distract you while you try to figure out its significance.

The Chaos Emeralds and the Dragon Balls are actually significant objects in their respective verses
True but I still consider them Mcguffins on principle since they're (on a basic level) "objects of power that drive/alter the plot".

Honestly I would consider the individual Dragon Balls as mcguffins since they basically have no use on their own except being searched in order to complete the set. This is not true with the Chaos Emeralds as even one emeralds grants you power and allow you to use stuff such as Chaos Control that is significant to the plot on its own

Honestly I would consider the individual Dragon Balls as mcguffins since they basically have no use on their own except being searched in order to complete the set. This is not true with the Chaos Emeralds as even one emeralds grants you power and allow you to use stuff such as Chaos Control that is significant to the plot on its own
So basically, just ignore the fact that all seven Chaos Emeralds are pretty much relevant to every Sonic game's plot (sans spinoffs)?

So basically, just ignore the fact that all seven Chaos Emeralds are pretty much relevant to every Sonic game's plot (sans spinoffs)?
Actually no, since at least with the new games, the Chaos Emeralds aren't needed at all. Nor I think they were needed in the Wii version of Colors (not the DS version).
Besides, what you said has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Even individual Chaos Emeralds aren't mcguffins because they have significant uses on their own, such as granting the ability to use Chaos Energy, while the individual Dragon Balls are nothing more than a a part of a set that are useless on their own and can only do something when all 7 are collected

Reactions: JED
The Dragon Balls and the Chaos Emeralds have nothing in common with the exception of there being 7 of them
both grant wishes
834171983074951168.webp

Even individual Chaos Emeralds aren't mcguffins because they have significant uses on their own, such as granting the ability to use Chaos Energy
List of games of the Chaos Emeralds being used as McGuffins:
Sonic 1 (Eggman was after them)
Sonic 2 (Eggman was after them again, this time all 7. In the 8-bit version, you have to get them all or Tails remains lost who-knows-where forever in the regular ending)
Sonic 3 & Knuckles (Same as before, and also includes the Master Emerald. Used to unlock Doomsday Zone)
Knuckles' Chaotix (they were used to make the World Rings)
Sonic Adventure (same as before, also includes Chaos and the Master Emerald + it's shards)
Sonic Adventure 2 (literally meant to destroy the world)
Sonic Heroes (you had to get all of them just to unlock the Final Story)
Shadow the Hedgehog (the entire plot of every path in the game revolves around these)
Sonic Rush & Rush Adventure (get all of the Chaos & Sol Emeralds to unlock the Final Story)
Sonic '06 (the purple emerald in Silver's story (the fandub literally referred to it as both a gem Mephiles got on eBay for $7 and Mephiles' "thing"), and all seven were needed to get the Final Story and revive Sonic alongside a kiss from a princess)
The Advance trilogy (get them all or you can't face the true final boss)
Pocket Adventure (same as Sonic 3)
Unleashed (literally broke the entire Earth apart)

Seems like you don't know the definition of mcguffins. mcguffins by definition are necessary to move the plot, but on their own are useless, and can be pretty much replaced with any other thing without affecting the story too much, as the only thing important about them is that they're being needed for the plot

This isn't true for the Emeralds as even a single chaos emerald have abilities that doesn't require the help of the rest of the chaos emeralds. Transforming Sonic into Super Sonic is far from their only use

There is literally close to zero correlation between the Chaos Emeralds and Dragon Balls. They function completely differently and happen to have a few "intersecting abilities" (Wish granting, but that's simply a common ability in fiction, especially for special/powerful artifacts in fiction).

The only similarities that can be drawn that don't seem like a coincidence is there being 7, and that they scatter. Albeit, from what I recall, it was stated in an interview that they added 7 because in the first game they had already thought of the concept for Super Sonic, and the 6 Emeralds would be how it was unlocked, but due to time constraints didn't make it. So when the sequel came out, they scrapped the old design for Super Sonic (Not sure what it was) and since either Yuji Naka or Oshima (Forget which one it was) was a fan of the Super Saiyan Transformation, they took inspiration from the form, thus Super Sonic's appearance. They also added a 7'th Chaos Emerald for no other reason than presumably an "explanation" as to why it wasn't accessible in the first game.

Everyone else already went over why Super Sonic is not a ripoff. The only similarity between Super Saiyan and Super Sonic is the spiked hair and color scheme, that's where the intentional similarities end. Saying that both provide an increase in power is a weak argument, that's a coincidence, and given that they planned to release Super Sonic (With a different design mind you) in Sonic 1, we can deduct that they had planned for it to increase his abilities to begin with. Super Sonic literally offers so much more that makes it very unique. Calling it a "rip-off" is downright disingenuous.

Yes because the Dragon balls and Chaos emeralds are DEFINITELY SIMILAR to each other. There’s TOTALLY no difference.

Why wouldn't it share it? It doesn't fly off from his body. Are we going to ask if his arms share it? Or his head?

No, I was just wondering, because the consciousness possessed a unique attribute that separated it from the body in that it could be attacked. I know there are some other explanations, like maybe the body possessing a different physiology or being higher dimensional while the consciousness was not, I just was curious.

I understand it’s his core, I was wondering what made the core different that it could be attacked while the body could not be stopped.

If the consciousness was essentially Solaris’s brain, it shouldn’t be any more vulnerable than the rest of Solaris unless there was some extra factor involved. The brain isn’t more or less vulnerable to damage than the rest of the body in many other scenarios

Back