• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Starter Pack said:
Two characters that constantly gather seven mystical artifacts to unleash some kind of ultimate power, and has an unleashed form that turns their hair big and yellow.
I could not even begin to see how people could make that comparison. I mean, really.
Both seven artifacts have different properties though. One being useless unless you have all seven and one where you can use one of them to do all sorts of wacky shit and gather seven to achieve an ascended state. And both forms are VASTLY different in terms of speed, power, and abilities.

Except many people like to over-simplify things, and even just having Sonic and Goku have a similar transformation sequence will make people think they're ripping off each other, the former being more called out than the latter as a rip-off, probably because Super Sonic actually did premiere after the Super Saiyan concept in the manga.

TBF with Sega, I can see where they coming from when a big portion of the fanbase keep making comparasions when there's no one there

See Shadow being compared to Vegeta even though the two are nothing alike

All those comparasions you see are common archetypes that you see a lot, even before DB was a thing

Like I said: They can simply just ignore them. And ignoring one piece of object out of the main canon isn't going to stop the comparisons. I mean if you posted a fake news story and the erased it and start making actual news stories, are people still gonna treat you as a serious news source?

In Sega's defense, they already had to deal with the "Youre ripping off Mario" stuff. The "Now you're ripping off Dragon Ball" stuff as well would've been too much.

Also you cannot sit there and tell me that Super Sonic at the very least wasn't heavily inspired by Super Saiyan. Seven artifacts. Yellow hair. Super S form. Try to make excuses for it all you want, but saying otherwise is honestly clouded bias.

They didn't have to deal with the latter, since most Americans, being uninformed and deprived of Japanese influence, probably believed the opposite (Dragon Ball ripped off Sonic), considering that Dragon Ball only aired for Americans in the early 2000s while Super Sonic first appeared in 92 and became popular in 94.

ShakeResounding said:
Didn't the creator himself say Super Sonic was a sort of homage to Super Saiyan? I could've sworn that was said somewhere.
He didn't directly state that Super Sonic was inspired by the Super Saiyan, but he did state many of the stages in Sonic 3 were based off of locations in Dragon Ball such as King Kai's planet and the Other World, so it is extremely likely that Super Sonic is indeed a homage.

The real cal howard said:
In Sega's defense, they already had to deal with the "Youre ripping off Mario" stuff. The "Now you're ripping off Dragon Ball" stuff as well would've been too much.
Also you cannot sit there and tell me that Super Sonic at the very least wasn't heavily inspired by Super Saiyan. Seven artifacts. Yellow hair. Super S form. Try to make excuses for it all you want, but saying otherwise is honestly clouded bias.
Clouded bias? Or just using regular facts and logic, "Sonic fan"?

Super Sonic is without a doubt an homage to Super Saiyan.DBZ was supposed to end with the Frieza Saga & SSJ1 was the final ultimate form of the the series' climax.Sound familiar? Super Sonic is basically an extrapolation of what Super Saiyan was supposed to be originally.

ED INFINITUM said:
DBZ was supposed to end with the Frieza Saga & SSJ1 was the final ultimate form of the the series' climax.
This is a common misconception and myth on the Dragon Ball Z fandom, but it is false and unsourced. Akira Toriyama has never mentioned this nor anyone who worked with him.

The real cal howard said:
Right on all, but the only thing the emeralds and dragon balls legitimately have common is the number.

@Kepekly23

Really?! It does sound convincing what with the sheer scope of the Frieza Saga & the adventure element being basically gutted out of the writing afterwords,everything seems so...shoehorned post Frieza.

@ED There were several times that Dragon Ball was supposed to end, but yeah, the Frieza Saga was supposed to be the end of Dragon Ball.

That seems to be more a matter of perspective since it's only a rumor

Like, even I watching it when I was little didn't think "this is where it ends" more like "ok what happens next"

EDIT:This computer and I move at the speed of molasses

Just out of simple curiousity, who do guys think would win in an all-out, no bars held fight? A super genius with an IQ of 300 and with literal stockpiles of nuclear warheads on his side that are capable enough to bring the human race to the edge of extinction and a journal that tells him where to find planet & universe threatening beings to which he can use to his whim thanks to his grandfather telling him how and where to find them, or a creature with a lot of spikes and can for some reason move at speeds exceeding the sound barrier?

Personally, I think the creature has the advantage here.

I do one better

Who do you think can be the lifelong enemy of a super fast, strong, durable hedgehog with the ability to tearn near anything that gets in his way to shreds, has a myriad of dangerous abilities, can manipulate extremely powerful gemstones to bend space-time and transform into an even more overpowered version of himself?

Is it:

A)A guy who has the exact same power and abilities as our hedgehog

B)A robot that could be considered a walking arsenal, who's the last of a series of elite robots

C)A robot king enhanced by a power gemstone like the one our spiky friend uses, wh's the leader of a group of deadly robotic elite group

D)A jackal also powered up by the gemstone the previous one has

E)His robotic copy, now enhanced to copy data from everyone and shape shift into anybody

F)Jim Carrey as a fat eggfucker

I personally vote for Jim Carrey

ED INFINITUM said:
Trunks is Kyle Reese/John Conner

Saiyans are Kryptonians

Frieza's a Xenomorph

Great Apes are King Kong

Rejuvenation Chamber is a Bacta Tank etc.

Dragonball has homages to other things too.
The highlighted is more similarities than references. And no one said DB didn't have homages. Toriyama's a nerd.

UltimateFlare said:
Silver counts as well, only because they admited they where inspired by Trunks though
Almost, the guy said "Think of him like Trunks" like as an example. The only similarities between the two are is that they're both from the future....

That's it LOL

VioletVoid100 said:
UltimateFlare said:
Silver counts as well, only because they admited they where inspired by Trunks though
Almost, the guy said "Think of him like Trunks" like as an example. The only similarities between the two are is that they're both from the apocalyptic future....
That's it LOL
^Fix it for ya. Also, the whole "character comes back from the future to stop someone from destroying their future" isn't exclusive to Dragon Ball. Terminator did it, Marvel did it with Cable, DC did it with Future Flash, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back