• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
UltimateFlare said:
I mean, the shonen protagonist archetype is something you can use to describe Sonic alright

Though I feel he still gots his own identity to differentiate himself
Eh, in terms of differentiation, the only thing I could say is that he's a Hedgehog. Pretty much everything else is exhibited by other shounen protagonists. Not like that's a flaw, mind you.

You're putting me in a tight spot bro. I don't know how to respond to that lol.

Are we counting canon only? If not, then I'd agree, as SatAM, Archie, X, and surprisingly Boom are all > DBS Goku in terms of likableness. Canon is...on par. Kid Goku on the other hand...

It's maybe because i'm not that well versed into shonen but i'm sure that he showed his own traits to stand out...

Then again, this depends on what characterziation he is on...

Tbh we should use screencaps of every time Sonic's stated to get stronger. It's just more proof for his Accelerated Development, and proof that it isn't something uncommon.

Aside from that, most Sonics do have a likeability to them that really keeps him as a cool character.

Unless every shounen protagonist gets accelerated development, this ain't exactly specific. I wasn't exactly kidding. Saying "you've gotten stronger" is super common in fiction and just shows growth in general.

ShakeResounding said:
Actually, that's a good discussion.

Sonic Topic: Which incarnation of Sonic is your favorite, and which is your least favorite?
Favorite: SatAM. Actual heroic traits, likable, and voiced by Jaleel White. Also has depth to him and a love interest that makes sense.

Least favorite: Canon (modern). I...honestly cannot think of a single thing that I like about modern Sonic.

@Cal Difference is that they hime it in during Sonic Forces. If that whole business with Infinite and Sonic getting stronger during imprisonment didn't exist, then no AD. I'm just saying that it makes sense, and you wouldn't really expect it from a protag like Sonic lol.

Sonic Topic: Which incarnation of Sonic is your favorite, and which is your least favorite?

ShakeResounding said:
Favorite is a toss up between Archie and canon.

Least favorite, maybe Sonic: the Comic?

Favortie:Game canon (classic and modern), STC canon (original and online continuation), IDW canon, Boom canon, OVA canon, X canon

They all got something I enjoy out of Sonic, mainly Game, STC/STCO and Boom

Least Favorite:Archie canon (pre and post SGW), DIC cartoons(SATAM, AOSTH and Underground)

**** all of them, with a big rusty pole and a splintery post

Ok my dislike for them isn't that great but I still don't like them

Favorite: Probably Archie Sonic, but Sonic from Sonic X is a really strong contender. He's kind of what I would expect from him if he was stuck on our boring planet with nothing to do.

Least Favorite: Maybe Sonic from Sonic: The Comic could be pegged as my least favorite, but his character is so unique that I find it interesting. He's more of a flawed hero, what with being a major asshole to his friends, and it's cool to see him struggling to keep his Super Form at bay so he doesn't go into a frenzy. He's so far from his Modern and Archie counterpart, but he's even more special because of it.

He just...doesn't have good moments, imo. He's just not endearing. I like Classic Sonic, as his "I'm cooler than you" attitude worked for someone straight out of the 90s and he didn't talk. Modern just doesn't have any appeal at all to me. He seems less like a pal and more like a showoff. Even his voice sounds like he thinks he's better than everyone.

Given this isn't an opinion I want to hold I'd appreciate if someone tried to change my mind.

I like most versions of Sonic aside from maybe Fleetway and Sonic underground.

speaking Sonic into The Sonic-Verse needs to be a thing.

Well, and I don't mean this with hostility because Lord knows I'd be a hypocrite, I have a fair amount to say about that. Because you're not completely wrong. Kinda.

I think Ryan Drummond pulled off heroic-but-also-a-jackass the best with his delivery as Modern Sonic,Jason sounds bored & Roger sounds WAY too cocky & sarcastic.

ShakeResounding said:
Well, and I don't mean this with hostility because Lord knows I'd be a hypocrite, I have a fair amount to say about that. Because you're not completely wrong. Kinda.
Then please say it. I don't like disliking characters, especially ones I grew up with. This is one of the few times I wanna be wrong.

I don't know where the "Modern Sonic is an asshole" comes from, like even in his controversial moments (minus chronicles) he shows to care about other people

Unleashed:Helps chips and multiple people across the globe even though he doesn't know any of them, fights until exahustion to defeat Dark Gaia

Colors:Helps then entire wisp race and his very protective of Tails (there's also the stuff in the DS version)

Generations:Helps his younger self like a older sibling would look after his younger one

Lost World:When he's not joking around he his worrying after everyone else and beats himself up for his mistake, does his best to fix his mistake, he even cares for Eggman and his robots when they're on his side

Forces:Looks after the avatar and gives him enough confidence to stand up to Infinite after being scared of him, worries after his friends and told him they a good job when they couldn't go on anymore

And this is just recent stuff

Favorites:

• Modern Sonic (Up to Sonic Unleashed)
  • Archie Sonic
  • X Sonic
  • Boom Sonic
  • IDW Sonic
  • OVA Sonic

Least favorites:

• AoSTH Sonic
  • STC Sonic
  • Current Game Sonic

Haven't watched SatAM or Underground so don't really have an opinion on them.

Ultimate gives some pretty good examples. Sonic isn't an asshole towards anyone that doesn't deserve it.

The best example I can give of a major screw-up is in Sonic Lost World after Tails is captured, and (as Ultimate pointed out) he practically beat himself over the head with it until he found out Tails was okay. Same goes for Knuckles and Amy. Hell, Sonic seemed to actually feel remorse for Eggman when he supposedly died near the end of Sonic Lost World.

Another time I can think of is in Sonic and the Secret Rings when Shahra betrayed him. Even then, her death drove Sonic to anger we've never even seen from the character aside from the non-canon Dark Sonic from Sonic X. And I remember the first thing Sonic did after defeating Alf Layla-Wa Layla was wish her back to life despite what she did.

Another time was when he stopped the Black Knight counterpart of Knuckles from committing suicide after Sonic defeated him in battle, and encouraged each Knight of the Round Tabke that they still held worth despite Sonic defeating them. Hell, he even went against everyone that claimed he'd be the worst of knights and a villain for killing a king.

Sonic's trademark is his cocky attitude, but there's something just as prevalent. He's easygoing and carefree, and there's plenty of moments that all he wants to do is have adventures. Hell, the quote in the profile even reflects that. I think his attitude is mistaken for something that he definitely doesn't seem to intend.

I also have lots of stuff to say about STC Sonic, since he seems to turn into most people negative list, but i'm in movile now so...

I'm just gonna say that he has a lot more caring moments people would led you to believe, it's just that they aren't given enough attention by people

Also, some of his questionable moments are taken out of context to make him seem worse than he actually is (he is still a douche, just a heart of gold one)

ShadowWarrior1999 said:
"Sonic's just furry Goku."

-Everyone on The Planet Earth.
FTFY.

To be quite honest the only reason I initially liked both Sonic and Goku/DB is because they're my 2 oldest memories(DB Budokai 2 and Sonic X in that order)(A sonic fan that likes DB, polarizing I know ovo). But how they handled something they both didn't usually have to so similarly just supoorted it.

Goku can only be considered "unlikable" Super because he doesn't have any villain of the week to deal with anymore. There was no constant threat that he had to deal with and all of his knowledge that he shows in Z is all connected to combating their enemy. Otherwise he's a hick that enjoys fighting. He still genuinely cares about his family (shown when he's triggered Chichi and Goten were murdered by Black). And when the Universal Survival Arc came around Bergamo got everyone to blame Goku for the ordeal (regardless of what the Grand Priest said about them destroying all the universes that were chosen if there was no tourney). He was portrayed the villain. Goku however, didn't care if the multiverse was against him or that he was the "villain", that he'll fight them and win.

Sonic in Sonic and the Black Knight is in a similar situation. If he fights King Arthur, he'll be branded a Knight that Kills Kings, the worst of knights, the villain in the story. Sonic states that he doesn't mind playing the villain of the story every once in a while, he'll do what's he finds correct.

I like them because of how similar they are, not in personality or abilities, but their character style. Both are flat characters that change the world around them, not the other way around like their respective rivals, Shadow and Vegeta. So whatever situation they're in they're gonna stick to their guns and do them, no matter what.

Back