• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some Persona 2 and/or 5 revisions

ThePerpetual

VS Battles
Retired
The title is pretty self-explanatory.

First off, Tatsuya Suou has a loss to Giorno Giovanna on his profile, yet Giorno does not have this match recorded on his own. Either the win should be added to Giorno's profile, or the loss removed from Tatsuya's. Additionally, Tatsuya's Powers and Abilities section ought to be updated/elaborated on in general, with it being woefully sparse and unhelpful relative to explaining all of his powers... no mention of Almighty attacks, or Gravity Manipulation via the Gry line of skills... etc.

Similarly, Maya Amano's profile is in need of... general upkeep, really, there's just a lot of little things that really need tweaking (especially all of the cheeky commentary offered that seems to not really help the profile communicate anything helpful- "Longinus-spear wielding Hitler" is a cute enough reference to Nyarlathotep's avatar and all, but unless she actually has a notable weakness to spears/Longinus/etc. it doesn't really help people understand her capabilities at all.) Really, it just feels... unprofessional, I guess.

Both of the above are considered MFTL+ via scaling to Nyarlathotep, yet Nyarlathotep itself is only "At least Speed of Light, possibly Omniscient." There's a discrepancy here, where one doesn't align with the other... so which is right?

Moving on to Persona 5, I have reason to believe that Yaldabaoth: and by extension, Joker/Akira/Ren/whatever you'll call him: is considerably more powerful than his profile suggests. In order to explain why, I'll need to offer a little bit more background on P2, so please bear with me here-

So, basically, there's this super-powerful deity that has allied itself with humanity known as Philemon, right? He is the good counterpart to the aforementioned Nyarlathotep (and considered its equal and rival, generally speaking), and is the being that Igor of the Velvet Room serves. Indeed, by all accounts, this would make Philemon the master of the Velvet Room itself, or the closest thing to it... important to note, the Velvet Room is quite likely a complete universe in and of itself, given attacks such as Morning Star and Cosmic Flare in Persona 5 can still be used within it, and so dominion over it might amount to a Low 2-C ranking for Philemon of its own accord. Even if it doesn't, he is at least equal to Nyarlathotep- heck, he even directly fights the protagonists as a secret superboss at one point...

This is important because one of Yaldabaoth's most notable feats is completely usurping control over the Velvet Room, i.e. completely and utterly overpowering Igor and, as far as I'm able to tell, Philemon. There'd be no reason for Philemon to not step in to try to stop a malignant influence from taking control of his realm, and we know as a fact that Philemon is involved with the place between games- he's a main story character in 1 and 2, and if his Wiki page is any indication then Word of God states that he's watching the protagonists of 3 and 4 in his butterfly form.

On top of that? We know that Yaldabaoth was capable of merging the Metaverse with the human world as well, and given aforementioned cosmic-scale feats, and the general nature of the Metaverse as being based on human cognition of our own entire real world as we've come to understand it through science(i.e. our knowledge of the observable universe), it seems to make sense to me that each of these worlds would be in reference to the entire universes that they take place in, rather than merely the planet Earth and a cognition replica thereof. Of course, if all of this isn't enough, there's the alternate/"Law" bad ending where you forge a pact with Yaldabaoth to preserve the public's memory of the Phantom Thieves rather than challenge Yaldabaoth's rule in Mementos, in which he seemingly resets the timeline to the point prior to the merging of the Metaverse and the real world. Quite possibly another Universe level+ feat...

All while seemingly constantly suppressing- quite casually- a Universe level+ being whose existence is inexorably tied to the Velvet Room itself. And this is all just in its Holy Grail form...

Basically, I would place The Holy Grail at "Universe level+, likely Multi-Universe level", and Yaldabaoth's true form at some unknown level higher than that.

...also, side note, would Philemon, potentially, be able to scale from Joker's speed feat? I imagine its quite possible the answer is no, since any conflict Philemon/the Velvet Room attendants and Yaldabaoth had was all off-screen and what-not (and Philemon/the Attendants were seemingly defeated without much hassle), but for what its worth Caroline and Justine (Persona 5's Velvet Room attendants) are able to pretty easily keep up with a Mid-Game Joker.

I guess I'd also ask if Nyarlathotep got to scale, but since the games seem to be in chronological order (references to 3 as part of 4's main plot, a cameo by Rise in 5) I suppose that's even less likely- were Philemon to scale to the feat, it would've happened after the point in the time at which he directly rivaled Nyarlathotep.

One other thing- would it perhaps be pertinent to rename Ren's page to simply "The Protagonist (Persona 5)", with both Akira Kurusu and Ren Amamiya redirecting to that? The Protagonist of Persona 3 has a similar thing going on, since they too have multiple "canon" names from different sources.

And, lastly, concerning the early-game Phantom Thieves... I believe that Large Building level might be too small for them. The feat in question regards the casual creation of a castle-based Palace, not to mention the sizable bit of land around it, by the first true villain the Phantom Thieves face, Kamoshida. Castles, however- especially very large ones like the palace in question- are generally regarding as about City Block-sized, and thus the feat would be closer to City Block level. However, if one Yojimbo1989 is to be trusted on the matter, Kaneshiro's palace encompasses the entirety of Shibuya, making it over 15 square kilometers... that sounds like it may warrant a higher rating than City Block level, even. Yeah, no?

So, what does everyone think of these suggestions?

I haven't played P5 in months. However, I agree with this. However, it may be best to ask Matt.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
I haven't played P5 in months. However, I agree with this. However, it may be best to ask Matt.
^^^^^^^ (except for the part where I haven't played the game in months, I haven't played the game at all)

Yaldabaoth being above Philemon is completely and utterly negative. Any being from Persona being above the literal embodiment of the Collective Unconscious is laughable, specially since Yaldabaoth is a god formed from the Collective Unconscious.

But Yaldabaoth could be Universal, you'd just have to get A LOT of good evidence, preferably in video form, due to how controversial it is.

Btw, I know that this may be a bit off topic, but if there's an RPG series that has old games rereleased a few times, and the rereleases are more than just updated graphics, but they have additional spells, monsters, and dialogue, do we consider the later rerelease with all that extra stuff the one we should focus on for the profiles, or do we just stick with the original?

I would probably argue that something being borne of something else doesn't by necessity make it any weaker than the thing it came from, if what it was borne of demonstrates no notable control over it.

And at any rate, isn't Philemon not the only embodiment of the Collective Unconscious in the verse, by virtue of Nyarlathotep existing? They just embody different aspects or facets of it. Where was it ever stated that Philemon was supreme over all beings? He defines himself as "a dweller in the rift between the consciousness and unconsciousness of all souls", and is seemingly the master of the Velvet Room, but it doesn't logically follow that he is all of the Collective Unconscious, as opposed to a guide for humanity/conceptual being.

Basically, where is the statement that Philemon is the Collective Unconscious?

Aside from that, its not the only time that Philemon has been bested, if I remember correctly. The implication in Persona Q is that Philemon is stuck in one of the Clockwork God's webs because it put him there forcibly, there'd not really be any other reason for that to have happened otherwise. I suppose its not necessarily proven that it's Philemon...? I can't think of who else that blue butterfly would be, though, he's generally the only one who's demonstrably takes the form of a blue butterfly in the series lore.

So, that's the argument against that statement.

Of course, even aside from that, Yaldabaoth would be at least Universe level+ from just being the source of Mementos alone. Mementos itself is a dark reflection of all of Humanity's Cognition: enough humans who perceive the world in a given way and interpreting that to be reality can become true simply by virtue of the Metaverse's properties... since there exists a very large contingent of humanity who understand the universe as having stars, galaxies, time, etc., its not really that big of a leap at all to say its a fully-fledged universe.

Why would it be controversial to say that? SMT/Persona isn't exactly a verse people debate the power level of a whole lot, relatively speaking.

Philemon and Nyarlathotep are the two halves of the Collective Unconscious. This is basic, basic Persona 2 lore. They are the most powerful Persona characters. Period.

Persona Q is non-canon, next.

You are abusing the mechanics of cognition. Cognition isn't Observation which has universal range. You have to actually show it affecting the whole universe rather than assuming it does via interpretations.

"Dark Reflection of Humanity's Cognition + Humans have cognition of the universe = Universe level+ Attack Potency"

???

In what way is this not a massive stretch?

Because it's such a massive leap. And you're not providing any scans.

To be fair. Galaxy level comes from an attack animation. So....

If the Metaverse can contain a galaxy (space and so forth) that's what The Perpetual means by human cognition. In Persona 5's context. We have a palace that was literally a space station with galaxy busting robots. Universal Yaldy is not a stretch if we accept the feats in Okumura's palace. You don't need visual evidence for this, the proof is in our own logic.

I absolutely need visual evidence through cutscenes, so that the profile is accepted.

Also I was thinking of downgrading 3-C to 4-A since it is a bit ridiculous.

Kk. I'll go back over the last act.

I will say this, Yaldy created the metaverse, it comes from Morgana's quote about the Holy Grail.

Why does human cognition exist as another substantial world? We'll be destroying whatever created that you know.
~ Morganna, Dec. 23, Prelude to the Final Heist​
This means Yaldy is above individual palaces and their owners, including Okumura's space station. And nothing suggests someone else couldn't also have a palace that is a space station or something else in space, as Morgana said a palace can be anything (ranging from a mere castle, a floating bank, a desert, and the aforementioned space station). Even without getting into blatant NLF territory, there's appropriate speculation for 3-A (not Low 2-C). Evidence just must be gathered.

I played the crap out of Persona 5 so I'll get the video evidence from my PS4.

I have to agree with Matt. Philemon and Nyar are definitely the strongest of all Persona beings ever, with Tatsuya Suou maybe around their level, since he fought them? And no, using that "Philemon stuck in web" thing is completely and utterly ridiculous. So yeah, Nyarly and Philemon are way stronger than Persona 5 as a whole.

Dunno where to put Igor and the rest though, but there was this image I saw floating around in the net. Its very inaccurate though, with P3 Protag being stronger than P5 protag.
Persona Power Chart by Flair

Well obviously, but they are Low 2-C. This is an argument for 3-A at most.

Scans, hmm... that'll take a bit, it's a pretty large game and I don't currently have access to a copy. I can't imagine that I should properly continue to respond to the assorted statements/refutations made until then... I'll try to be back before long explaining my position better.

In the meantime, is everything else suggested here a go? Do you have any advice for scaling the speed of the Persona 2 cast? (I.e. do they have any notable MFTL+ feats, should they be downgraded to SoL...?) How big would you say Shibuya counts as being, and how strong would Kamoshida thus be for apparently creating a Palace of that size?

@ShinyMagicalGirl A Youtuber named Fither put that together... they do a lot of videos/podcasts on Shin Megami Tensei/Persona and whatnot, the lore and the games themselves and the market, and whatnot. I believe it assumes internal logical consistency within the confines of the verse, so they're not exactly looking for "so-and-so level feats" or anything of that sort. Authorial content/"what makes sense", however, isn't what we run by here always, and so naturally there'll be some discrepancy.

Is Philemon (And by extension, Nyarly) Immeasurable, or Omnipresent? I seem to remember something about being "above time and reality" or something, but I'm not sure. If that's not the case, Nyar and Philemon should at least scale to Yaldy, since Yaldy is a god from the Collective Unconsciousness, and those are incredibly higher than Yaldy, who scales to Akira, who can react to galaxy-spanning attacks. Hence, Tatsuya should scale to Yaldy too, since Tatsuya and co. actually fight Nyarly, and I remember Tatsuya even punching Philemon in Innocent Sin as a choice.

I'm mostly commenting on Persona 2, because my god those profiles are so lack luster. His abilities should be updated, in a similar way the abilities listed in Akira's profile. And Tatsuya is also a wild card, seeing as he can use multiple personas. Power-wise, I've heard Multi-Uni stuff, but Universe+ is probably the safest. I think Matt can make better statements than me though, since he's the true SMT expert here.

Persona 5 should stay Galaxy I think? I'm not so sure anymore. I mean, Attack Animations in P5 make sense because of the Metaverse mechanics, but we take attack animations differently and on a case-to-case basis (E.g. Gilgamesh's "not Galaxies" and Disgaea's attacks). So I think I'll stay away from the P5 business. P2 is what I'm here for; Persona 2 in this wiki seems super weak, even though its by far the strongest of the entire Persona series.

I live in Shibuya, it's the size of a city (even considered to be and called a city). Tokyo as a whole is Large City.

I actually plan on upgrading Persona 4, I just need time since I'm also compiling stuff together for Persona 5 too. Thank Gawd for Perp and Matt though ^-^

Oooh, Persona 4 upgrades! About time they got some buffs! I was thinking that the feat in the P4 anime (Where Yu's Beelzebub Megidoloans Naoto's dungeon) could be used as a feat, but the problem about it is that we don't know the size. So I'm pretty excited for this upgrade!

I should mention that I have a big Persona blog which likely will affect Persona 2, 3, and 5.

By OP, I meant more on their abilities. Joker has a ton of hax, yet Tatsuya doesn't have as much, despite also being a wild card.

As for speed, yeah. Unless Immeasurable/Omnipresent Nyarly is legit?

I haven't forgotten about this, I promise

Just give me some time, mid-terms are coming up

Slightly off-topic, but how strong would the Persona 1 cast be? I've not played it, myself, so I'd not have any idea. : /

ThePerpetual said:
Slightly off-topic, but how strong would the Persona 1 cast be? I've not played it, myself, so I'd not have any idea. : /
I'll get back to you on that. It's been a long time.

I will come back to this later, but I think our persona profiles need to be grouped into its own franchise.

Also, I somewhat am neutral on Low 2-C p5

Fun Fact: I was against 3-C p5 and now I am neutral Low 2-C.

I'm fairly certain we've decided that Big Bang Challenge is 4-A, anyhow, so that's getting downgraded most likely.

We're still debating this, for now...

ThePerpetual said:
I'm fairly certain we've decided that Big Bang Challenge is 4-A, anyhow, so that's getting downgraded most likely.
We're still debating this, for now...
I agree with 4-A p5 more then 3-C

As for Low 2-C. I will comment later and give my thoughts on it.

BTW, P1 needs pages.

Edit: Just not sure where to put the cast. IIRC the game has 2-A feats.

Persona 1 is 2-A!? If that's true, Persona 2 needs to be bumped to 2-A as well, since one of the P1 cast canonically joins the P2 gang.

Damn, I guess it makes sense for the older Persona titles to be SMT level, since unlike P3 to P5, P1 and P2 is more "SMT".

But wait, how is P1 2-A?

It isn't. Shin Megami Tensei IF, which is basically the Proto-persona, has 2-A feats.

The protagonist of IF, Tamaki, actually appears in Persona 2.

Back