• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.
DC Comics characters exist as the reader perceives them. Essentially, what I mean by this is that A. What the reader sees is all that actually occurs. Characters within the story and plot framework within DC perceive themselves as having a past and future, but these things do not actually exist. When a character remembers something or predicts something, these past and future events are not actually occurring or things that have occurred. They themselves are unaware of this, because the events that occur like precognition and time travel are parts of the story that are occurring. This affects all individuals in DC who exist within the plot, and B. these things are continually replayed and become existent again as those who read the story that is DC Comics perceive them. Within the perspective of the writers and readers themselves, the plot exists independently from them as fiction and thus this fiction will continue to outlive them so long as they perpetuate it. These plots allow them to survive as long as the writer needs them to, as a sort of canon PIS.

So yeah, there's a lot to unpack here.

Look man, even I don't know what going on here

I think it would mean at the very least some form of funky Acausality for meta characters and top tiers.

If this has not been acknowledged as an official policy, I don't think that we should adapt to it, especially as this is how all fiction looks from an objective out-of-universe perspective (Characters only have as much backstory and experiences as has been explicitly shown, even though we pretend that they have real lives outside of what we know), whereas we write our profiles from an in-universe perspective.

Well, it was just a single occurrence with metafictional commentary. It has not remotely been recurrently confirmed in other stories.

Isn't this strictly about Grant Morrison's Animal Man run?

Not really. The animal man run formed the basis for a good portin of DC Cosmology as a whole.

I don't think all of Animal Man should be taken literally.

Like, a lot of the stuff is commentary on how comicbook works as a medium (see the jumping between panels) as opposed to something that physically applies to the fictional universe.

Back