• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Some concerns regarding current Tiering System standards (1-A and up)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, he is one of the main knowledgeable members for (at least) two of the verse affected by this, so him commenting should be fine . . . just not on our standards for staff threads and regular member participation. That's a different thread for a different time I suppose.
Being knowledgeable on the verses affected =\= being knowledgeable on the tiering system itself.

But aside that if he or anyone has shown to know what is been discussed then yeah anyone can ask for permission from a staff to speak and they can speak on a staff thread.

Being knowledgeable on the verses affected =\= being knowledgeable on the tiering system itself.
im knowledgeable enough on MUH and modal realism since its the crux of the scaling for Manifold. As for apophatic theology, i know enough since Kira’s been shoving it down our throats lol.
Jibz, please permanently stop derailing this thread. You have not been allowed to comment here.
Very well, i’ll ask for permission.

No common ground or room for usability has been found, as far as I can tell. Aeyu has brought up some interesting potentially-usable stuff off-site (redefining High 1-A/0 so that naming a random big cardinal no longer makes a character by far the strongest tier 0 on the site), which she thought was related to this thread, but fundamentally isn't.

Can you ask Aeyu if she is willing to come back here? It has been a long time, and her help would likely be useful for our community.

@DontTalkDT @Agnaa @RatherClueless

So have these suggested revisions been entirely rejected as potentially harmful, or are there any potential improvements to our current standards that can be derived from them?
We will, at some point, have to write down exactly how far we are willing to extrapolate beyond mere counting of levels of infinity. However, that is far beyond the scale of this thread and only tangentially related.
As things stand I would say what we take from this thread is that we don't extrapolate to Tier 0 using logical omnipotence / statements of being above mathematics. I don't think that needs to written down, though. (Although I don't object if someone wants to add a note somewhere either)

Okay. Thank you for the evaluation. Should we close this thread, or is there important discussion remaining between you and Ultima?

Not what it said in the quote. It says that all logical universes are based on math and that all these formal systems are logically coherent. Not that all logically coherent formal sytsems imaginable create a universe. Every Ford is a car, but not every car is a Ford. Same thing.

Kinda besides the point anyways.
Well actually if u have the full scan you'd know it said that they're saying a formal system essentially describes a universe there. And that since it does, and the verse specifies heavily that every possible universe exists, then every possible formal system would exist

While i understand your points, i leaning toward disagree with the Type 4 Multiverse section, assuming all possible mathematic to be literal in meaning is kinda NLF for my taste, i think the verse need to me more specific when talking about a mathematic multiverse, not just slap a "all possible mathematic" and call it a day
Will response to the other point later, but this Type IV Multiverse point is kinda the biggest problem
I don't exactly agree with the type 4 multiverse being an nlf. It's like saying the set of all shoes is an nlf whilst the source specifically states the set contains every single pair of shoes, the Nike, the Jordan the addidas and in every single size. The type 4s explanation specifies all math, they type of math and some even say all math that is able to be denoted by human language exists inside of the type 4 multiverse.

I don't exactly agree with the type 4 multiverse being an nlf. It's like saying the set of all shoes is an nlf whilst the source specifically states the set contains every single pair of shoes, the Nike, the Jordan the addidas and in every single size. The type 4s explanation specifies all math, they type of math and some even say all math that is able to be denoted by human language exists inside of the type 4 multiverse.
If specific things (particular cardinals, ZFC, etc.) are mentioned, I am perfectly okay with scaling it to that.

Just not vague things like "all math" or "anything that can be described".

If specific things (particular cardinals, ZFC, etc.) are mentioned, I am perfectly okay with scaling it to that.

Just not vague things like "all math" or "anything that can be described".
Id like to mention a conversation i had with Agnaa on the discord. To preface the discussion was over MUH. And how the issue surrounding it was the fact it seemed like a NLF as to have the assumption that the author had knowledge on the particular cardinals at play in the story.. To this i had a question:

"What if the author showed knowledge on set theory in the sense of a particular cardinal in wider context such as a study or thesis?".

To which Agnaa, whilst not outwardly agreeing said he wouldn't be too upset and would understand if a "possibly/likely" rating were given if that was the case.

To which i now bring this thought to yall. If the crux of the issue is that we have no way of knowing if the author had knowledge on the cardinals at hand, if they were shown to have knowledge on a particular cardinal this would circumvent the issue entirely, as the author would show knowledge on a particular cardinal and would be a fair compromise (atleast in my opinion).

(I'd have asked Ultima for permission, but i've lost access to my discord, and i dont even know if Ultima is still sick or not, regardless i thought it was worth atleast the conversation)

To make things a little bit more clear.

If there's a statement in the work, or a statement related to the work from the author, I'd be 100% okay with scaling an "encompasses all cardinals" statement to whichever specific cardinal is mentioned.

If the statement is outside of the work and not related to the work (i.e. writing a non-fiction essay mentioning a cardinal), I'd rather not use it since I don't think WoG like that should be eligible (that can start getting into weird territory, where if the author starts talking about their religious beliefs, or retweets a video about higher dimensions, or mentions 1-A structures in other works, that people will try scaling that sorta thing to all of their works), but I would understand a possibly/likely being given for it.

To make things a little bit more clear.

If there's a statement in the work, or a statement related to the work from the author, I'd be 100% okay with scaling an "encompasses all cardinals" statement to whichever specific cardinal is mentioned.

If the statement is outside of the work and not related to the work (i.e. writing a non-fiction essay mentioning a cardinal), I'd rather not use it since I don't think WoG like that should be eligible (that can start getting into weird territory, where if the author starts talking about their religious beliefs, or retweets a video about higher dimensions, or mentions 1-A structures in other works, that people will try scaling that sorta thing to all of their works), but I would understand a possibly/likely being given for it.
It's good for multiverse type IV but how would that work for apophatic theory and modal realism?

Apophatic: "God is beyond any definitions. You can't talk about Him as having a size of aleph-12, as that would be a definition which is inherently below him."

Modal Realism: "Every logically possible world exists, including the one where there's aleph-omega copies of cantor having a tea party."

Apophatic: "God is beyond any definitions. You can't talk about Him as having a size of aleph-12, as that would be a definition which is inherently below him."

Modal Realism: "Every logically possible world exists, including the one where there's aleph-omega copies of cantor having a tea party."
Doesn't the problem with that is that the tier 0 will be exclusive to mathematic verse? It seem to tell thay verse whitout math can't be tier 0 when apophatic theology has nothing to with math in first by ex

Doesn't the problem with that is that the tier 0 will be exclusive to mathematic verse? It seem to tell thay verse whitout math can't be tier 0 when apophatic theology has nothing to with math in first by ex
No, just have 3 separate hierarchies, each of which transcends and encompasses the last.

One to reach High 1-B/Low 1-A, one to go through 1-A, one to go through High 1-A, and one character which transcends all of them.

That's how every verse had to reach tier 0 a few years back. Sound tough? That's why so few verses reach tier 0, and why they're usually some combination of ludicrously long and knee-deep in esoteric stuff.

The most common mathematical skips (dimensions, alephs) don't push you beyond 1-A. You'd need very esoteric stuff which maybe one verse mentions to get to High 1-A/0 through math alone, and even that is able to be rectified if we just redefine the borders of High 1-A & 0. That is, unless, we accept the OP of this thread.

Last edited:

still looking for people's opinion to this notion.

still looking for people's opinion to this notion.
Tbh a possibly or likely rating ain't that much of a bad solution seeing as most ppl here don't want to give type iv multiverse a concrete tier which is also understandable as for apophatic theology seems fine to me idk ab modal realism however

Okay. No problem, and thank you for helping out.

Okay. He has not visited here since Tuesday, but I suppose that we can wait for a bit longer.

Ultima has the user rights necessary to unlock threads, no? We could close it and he can simply unlock it again once/if he's ready.

Ultima's been talking about vsbw-related stuff on Discord recently; he doesn't seem to be going through anything so bad that he's unavailable everywhere.

So ig I'd go with what DT suggested; close it and Ultima can re-open it when he wants to continue the discussion.

Okay. Thank you to everybody who helped out here.

So, back to business, I guess:

You did not address my point, you only nitpicked my definition of terms. And I have not even made a proper reply on your argument, just trying to ask why we should treat maths verse different from philosophical verses, it was just a simple question
The point still stands, what makes Tegmark universal model any different from all the other myths out there that cannot be proven scientifically?
We don’t grant Tier 0 to any work that mentions a “Christian God” or “Judaism” and I think the same should go for mathematical verses too, it should be as they are shown and what they are shown to perform in the series.I
The difference between either is fairly obvious, and it's something I've already expressed in my response to DontTalk up there: Religion is oftentimes cluttered with a myriad different interpretations and definitions branching off of a single text (Or multiple texts), none of which are inherently more valid or truthful than the other for our purposes. What sets a Type IV Multiverse apart from such things in this context is that it does have one specific, technical, set-in-stone definition, which, if deviated from, makes that thing not a Type IV Multiverse anymore.

This is something that our current standards already reflect. If we were to find a verse where a universe is described as having aleph-2 dimensions, we'd treat it as such, because aleph-2 is a technical concept with a well-defined meaning, instead of something nebulous and subject to interpretation and debate, like, say, a religious figure is.

By that same principle, "it's just a theory" is a fairly weak argument, given I am addressing hypothetical cases where this exact theory is, in fact, true. And I think this becomes clearer when I point out that, in principle, a verse wouldn't need something to be explicitly called a Type IV Multiverse to qualify for what I'm talking about, just to match its definition.

As for you last question: Manifold is an example, yes, although admittedly I wrote this thread without much thought or care for what verses it may affect.

I do. And not just because you chose to skip 90% of the actual argument, since what me and Agnaa talked about was only tangential to that anyways. Elaboreated the point you were reffering to on discord since I dont wanna derail this too much.
Alrighty then:

A type 4 multiverse is just as fictional as any mythology out there. No reason to treat them differently just because one is more common than others or because of your personal believes on what is more fundamental. If you want a tier, especially one that just lets you skip through almost almost half the tiering system, ignoring all the checks and balances, you need
I feel like my response to Pain up there already can serve as a response to the first bit of this. As for the rest, I guess I can elaborate on it a bit further down, since the responses I would give to this intersect with the ones I have in mind for other parts of your pasts.

You do realize that Euclidean spaces is a Polish space, right? So please answer my question. Why is the foundation of manifolds not enough to tier something based on, well, manifolds?
I do know that, yes, and I'm saying that all three of the (categories of) spaces you listed are built upon a set-theoretical framework, and, further, one where they form sets to begin with, that's my point here: If we want an uncountably infinite set to even provably exist, you're gonna need the very same principles that result in spaces that reach up to all levels of 1-A.

This doubles as my answer to your question, too. Euclidean spaces are by and large defined using set-theoretic backdrops (Again, as far as I know. I welcome correction), and so in that context, if you want the existence of such a space (As opposed to just the elements of that space) to be a provable fact in your theory, you need to use the axioms I listed above, the same axioms that I am using to further my argument, and this is fairly important, given how uncountably infinite sets play a big part even in the lower parts of our Tiering System. So, to address your first comments, I don't see how any of this is beside the point, no.

I also dunno what you mean by the "tier something based on manifolds" bit, either.

Dont use this as an agrument. "long trends" were never the (main) issue with inflated stats.
They seem to be the most prominent one, at least, as you can see by going on a quick stroll on our pages for everything that Agnaa used as an example for his argument up there. Most of them seem to say the exact same thing, to quote two of them:

Most electricity in fiction is not real lightning. Often it is supernatural in nature, and is possibly not even electricity. Therefore lightning is only accepted as such under certain circumstances.

Within fiction, a Big Bang is usually portrayed as a massive release of energy, instead of an expansion of space-time itself.

Honestly, I think you fail to realize just how absurd some of our standards are when it comes to inflation. Just gonna give you one from personal experience.
Hm, that sounds like an interesting case to look over. Do you have any thread that I can read through, to familiarize myself with it?

Anyways. I'll elaborate. By making this our standard you are asking people to prove a negative. It is just as if we were to make SoL KE our standard and were to slap AoE fallacy on anything that contradicts it. It'd be nigh impossible to disprove without the verse going into detail about how this wouldn't apply. If there are no statements about the structure of the multiverse to even prove it is that big, how would you possibly go about debunking such a claim? No matter how absurd it may be in the verse, for as long as it is not explicitly contradicted, we'd just roll with it. TL;DR burden of proof is on you, but this standard would shift it on the opponents of the upgrade, which is, with all due respect, dumb. That should never ever be the default.
This is not the most meaningful fallacy you can appeal to, in this case, given that a negative proof is mostly invoked when someone is demanded to prove the nonexistence of something that, by all accounts, has been provided with no logical basis behind its potential existence to begin with. You'd have a point if all I said was "You can't prove that these principles don't apply in this verse, therefore they do," but I did go further than that alone by pointing out that they are just naturally needed to assert certain things that we already take for granted, both for our Tiering System and for any verse above Tier 3 (i.e The existence of an uncountable set).

I don't see how that analogy holds, either. Something going at Speed of Light (Or, really, any high enough speed) without any of the kinetic effects that would be expected of it in real life is something whose absurdity is demonstrable and urges us to analyze the case with more scrutiny. Meanwhile, what exactly would its equivalent be, in this case? What absurdity would cause us to take a more cautious stance?

ZFC isn't a magic word that makes the NLF go away. Yes, we assume standard mathematics exist in universes. Guess what else we do assume to exist? Standard logic. A ZFC based argument isn't any better, premise wise, than any other logical argument. Hence it is also not any more exempt from the NLF.
That's certainly an interesting point, yeah, although in principle you could still poke holes in it by arguing that those arguments are not so logically sound, to begin with: To appeal to the father of the No-Limits Fallacy here, you can say that, if contrasted with boundlessness in the truest sense, any sample we can take and analyze would be insufficient to infer that something is actually at that point, and so statements that deal with that are automatically disregarded in favor of a lower bound, which gives us a provable limit to work with.

I believe the example you gave with Fiamma would fall under that same principle. It's not really possible to prove that a character's power is boundless (Or expands towards boundlessness) in the broadest possible sense, and so we steer clear of that avenue and go with a lower-end. I don't think this is necessarily the case with a Type IV Multiverse and similar things, since you can, in fact, settle for a lowest logical end for them, as we already (attempt to) do, pretty much. (Although I realize that this train of thought probably weakens my argument for it being Tier 0 as opposed to just High 1-A, same with apophatic theology and blah blah)

I'd also note that, under that principle, something wholly encompassing or transcending mathematics may not necessarily be a NLF if a tier specifically for such things exists (For instance, I don't think you held the argument with Fiamma as being a valid way to scale him even back when 1-A was completely beyond the system of lower tiers, and certainly beyond what our current 0 extends to), but then I'd be just daydreaming about things fundamentally outside the scope of this thread, so, best not to tread those waters, either way.

You are pretending as if all infinity is the same, although you very much know better. The amount of evidence needed to get to even higher levels of infinity doesn't get less just because you have already reached some level of infinity.

That's generally the issue here. You are basically arguing that the standards of reasoning get less strict as we get to higher tier. That what would be a NLF to a 3D character isn't one for a 1-A one anymore because they are already strong.
It's the opposite. Requirements get stricter as the tier increases.
You seem to be misunderstanding me a bit. I was moreso making a comparision to a situation that may occur in a lower-tiered setting: In this case, arguing that a character or a space is High 3-A is a NLF if you are -inferring- that their power/size/whatever is infinite base on insufficient evidence, but someone outright stating that they are, in fact, infinite, is not. That is to say, NLF is a fallacy that inherently deals with faulty inferences, and may not necessarily have an answer for statements that happen to set a character at a specific endpoint already.

But then again, I suppose that may fall under the line of thought above.

Not at all horrible comparison, since we had long since decided that Omnipotence without feats isn't tiering relevant, regardless of how well explained the concept is. It would need to include specific explanations regarding certain levels of infinity to matter, but then it is all about those explanations not about the omnipotence in itself.
Ah, I see, so you are applying that same standard even to more well-cut definitions of the term (Based on both this post and the one below). I suppose it's not as bad as I first thought, but I don't think it's very fruitful to bring that up here, still, given how this (Based on the "regardless of how well explained the concept is") seems to be the exact kind of thing this thread is arguing against, to begin with.

Not sure if I entirely get what you mean by the bolded part, though. Can you elaborate?

Hm, that sounds like an interesting case to look over. Do you have any thread that I can read through, to familiarize myself with it?

No, it happened after an off-site discussion with Bambu, which I think involved him consulting with a few other calc group members.

My best recollection of the explanation (as it happened 3 years ago) is that it was rejected because:
  • Invoking air resistance for something which goes beyond or near lightspeed seems strange, since those physics are developed for our universe where you can't go faster than light. (Even though, as far as I'm aware, air resistance itself doesn't get destroyed when reaching SoL/FTL speeds like KE does, it's just that any FTL object has kind of undefined physics in our universe).
  • Even if it wasn't FTL, taking into account air resistance is really complicated; this calc was done by a physics student, and can only be evaluated by other physics students, which doesn't include most of the calc group. Since few people can evaluate it, and few people can create calcs like this, they shouldn't be done, as they'd inflate the stats of verses which are supported by physics students.
Some other background information: The calc is about a character jumping from Antarctica to Japan, and was initially written to find the speed and trajectory such a jump would have to not just have her fly off into space (as our assumed value at the time, based on the jump taking 1 minute, would have resulted in, if we ignored drag). Initially this was found to have a much lower value, and was accepted as a lower end on the profile, but after being rewritten to incorporate drag, it found a much higher value and was removed from the page.

Not sure if I entirely get what you mean by the bolded part, though. Can you elaborate?

I believe he's just saying "We tier based on the explanations of what a character can do; whether they have a statement of omnipotence or not is irrelevant."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back