• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Smite Speed Calculation.

Aparajita

VS Battles
Retired
I decided to go ahead and calculate Rataskr's speed from SMITE. Sadly, Rat doesn't have a page, but he will if the calculation is approved.

Go ahead and click on the link and tell me what you think

TL;DR SMITE's Rataskr is 105 billion x FTL.

Yep, the only real holdup was probably the lore. Because you have in-game statements as well as outer lore implications, I don't see why we can't extend the galaxy argument to this. So I support this upgrade for when the SMITE profiles are fully created.

Alakabamm said:
Yep, the only real holdup was probably the lore. Because you have in-game statements as well as outer lore implications, I don't see why we can't extend the galaxy argument to this. So I support this upgrade for when the SMITE profiles are fully created.
I had no idea when i first created the calculation that i can't use the Lore it's based off as filler for the information missing.

Regardless, Rat runs 1 galaxy in a short amount of time (1 min being the low end of the calc).

Thank you for your support.

The Living Tribunal1 said:
well if the galaxy is confirmed
then there is no problem with this
Check on this page in the Summary. That's the Lore taken from SMITE.

"Far below, across the galaxy spanning trunk, and beneath the roots, coils Nidhogg, the deplorable serpent."

As I and DontTalk mentioned earlier, I think that we cannot mix original mythological texts with games based on mythology. We cannot assume that it is the same for both, and thus that the premise for the calculation appears to be flawed.

Antvasima said:
As I and DontTalk mentioned earlier, I think that we cannot mix oroginal mythological texts with games based on mythology. We cannot assume that it is the same for both, and thus that the premise for the calculation appears to be flawed.
I think that the statements come from in game lore as well, however. Shouldn't that count, considering how we tier other games?

Is it stated in-game thst Ratatoskr travels up and down a galactic distance within moments? If not, it seems very inappropriate to mix in texts that have not been mentioned within the game into the equation. The game is likely very liberal with interpreting mythology, as most fictions tend to be.

And I tend to reject any of these types of assumptions that I notice.

I rejected a wild assumption about the rising temperatures of the regions of hell within a Godzilla movie (despite that nothing of rhe sort had been stated or implied within the movie in question) for much the same reasons.

If other profiles also use these types of fallacies then their statistics are likely wrong as well, and several wrongs do not make a right.

In Ratatoskr's in-game lore description, it is stated that the just the trunk of the Yggdrasil tree was galaxy spanning ("Far below the galaxy-spanning trunk) and that Ratatoskr travels it to deliver mesages. It also describes his position as "the center of all cosmic activity."

The part from the lore is that it takes moments for him to travel the trunk of the tree. Is that too much of a jump from the game lore?

Yes, it is. We can place him as MFTL+ from the fact thst he can travel galactic distances within a relatively brief timespan, but not draw conclusions about the precise timespan or speed.

Alakabamm said:
In Ratatoskr's in-game lore description, it is stated that the just the trunk of the Yggdrasil tree was galaxy spanning ("Far below the galaxy-spanning trunk) and that Ratatoskr travels it to deliver mesages. It also describes his position as "the center of all cosmic activity."
Not to mention that Ratatoskr travels the branches of Yggdrasil in seconds in game as well, and the entire game is done to scale.

HiRezSteve, one of the creators of Ratatoskr and HiRezBart, the lead commentor for HiRezStudios (The makers of SMITE), have described Rat as "Zipping"

@Aparajita Is it stated or shown that he travels a galactic distance within seconds?

Antvasima said:
@Aparajita Is it stated or shown that he travels a galactic distance within seconds?
He travels across the branches of Yggdrasil, in game, in a very brief amount of time.

As the entire game is done to scale, this is Ymir, who cannot be killed - thus, Odin's claim about creating the Galaxy out of his body (Odin's brothers claimed that they created Yggdrasil out of his body) is not possible. Thus, this is the SAME Ymir that Odin fought.

So Ymir is still the same force he was before, aka, the size of a Galaxy, in lore.

If one statement about Ymir is false, why should another not be as well? Is he shown to be the size of a galaxy in-game, and are there any other feats of this scale?

Antvasima said:
If one statement about Ymir is false, why should another not be as well? Is he shown to be the size of a galaxy in-game, and are there any other feats of this scale?
Yes, the game is based off Mythology - Amaterasu who's light shapes the Universe, Nu Wa who created all things in the Universe out of the 5 elements, Vamana, who can grow to such sizes that his feet encompass worlds or more, Nox, who birthed all aspects of creation, Chronos, who helped shape the Multiverse with the help of Ananke.

Again, are these official unquestionable in-game descriptions to be taken literally, or just loose interpretations with mythological texts mixed in?

Antvasima said:
Again, are these official unquestionable in-game descriptions to be taken literally, or just loose interpretations with mythological texts mixed in?
It's literally taken from SMITE's Lore...

That morning light, which brings warmth and life is Amaterasu, the benevolent Goddess of the sun. Universally, she is adored.

Nu Wa forged five mystic stones, one for each of the elemental forces of nature: Earth, Water, Fire, Wood, and Metal.

In his splendid palace, Bali was giving gifts to the pious. Vishnu, disguised as the monk Vamana and carrying a wooden umbrella, requested only as much land as he could cover in three steps. Bali offered Vamana an island but Vamana stuck to his request, which Bali granted against the wishes of his advisor. Immediately, Vamana grew to cosmic proportions, crashing through the ceiling of the palace and filling the sky. With one colossal step, he engulfed all the Earth and the Underworld. With a second step, he consumed the heavens. Now, with everything under his two feet, Vamana had nowhere to place his third step.

Being universally adored/well-liked is nowhere near proof of shaping an entire universe.

Forging the stones is unspecifed/unquantifiable.

Vishnu "consuming the heavens" can easily be interpreted as the Earthly sky, not the entire universe.

Antvasima said:
Being universally adored is nowhere near proof of shaping an entire universe.
Forging the stones is unspecifed/unquantifiable.

Vishnu "consuming the heavens" can easily be interpreted as the Earthly sky, not the entire universe.
Except... there are other characters that are literally done on the cosmic scale...

Ra, who is the Sun; Neith, who spun the entire universe into creation; Zeus who aligns constaltions; Fenrir, who is destined to consume the worlds of Yggdrasil; Agni, who is the fire that helped shape all things (The Big Bang?); Chronos who shaped the entire Multiverse, Nox who birthed the aspects of creation from Chaos (the unfamthomable abyss).

Yup. We cannot assume that this game's versions of the deities are of a specific scale based on mythological texts.

Well, as I mentioned earlier: "We can place him as MFTL+ from the fact that he can travel galactic distances within a relatively brief timespan, but not draw conclusions about the precise timespan or speed."

Antvasima said:
Based on Matthew Schroeder's comments, it seems like the SMITE deities are probably mostly accurately scaled after all, so let's return to Ratatoskr:
I apologize, but can you explain this statement, particularly the one in bold?

It means that the SMITE character statistics should probably mostly stay the way that they currently are, with the exception of adjusting two 2-B characters to 2-C, and possibly scale Odin and Amaterasu from Zeus, rather than scale Zeus and Amaterasu from Odin.

Back