• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Small Metal Gear travel speed question

Tapkmiz

He/Him
This will be very brief. Solid Snake —and those who scale to him— are listed as supersonic+ on the basis of this calculation, but I see one glaring issue with it: I have absolutely no idea (and neither does the person that made the calculation back in the day) as to where the 20 km figure for the distance comes from. With it being such an old post, I think it might amount to a simple comment that was taken at face value. (Vivi Ornitier, the original calculator, chalks it up to being "probably legit anyways")

I am unsure of how to measure the distance, but it must have been enough for Snake to be safe from the blast caused by the self destruction of Outer Heaven. There is a shot at around 19:25 on this video where Snake stops running and another blast cloud is seen on screen (right on the horizon line) but I am unsure of whether or not it can be measured (or if it would even be accurate, given that this is an old game and depictions of these things are limited by hardware and so on.

Feat should still lend itself for something, since Snake does cover a pretty significant distance in those 20 or so seconds he has left after climbing the ladder, as I've said, enough so that the blast is only seen on the horizon line. But I am unsure if it would be anywhere near mach 2,9 or anything of that level.

Apart from this feat, there is this calculation of a feat of Snake outrunning bullets, which resulted in mach 0.5. Given that it is much less nebulous than the MG1 feat, I think it's better to use. This would mean a downgrade from supersonic+ to subsonic+, more or less.

Comments appreciated and corrections even more so, in the case that I was mistaken with anything.

Iirc from a Longplay I watched it had something to do with building distance in Outer Heaven
DE PETTROVICH WAS
QUICKLY MOVED TO
BUILDING NO .2.

BUILDING NO .2 LIES
10KM TO THE NORTH
FROM HERE.
I'M DR. PETTROVICH.

METAL GEAR IS IN
100TH BASEMENT OF
BUILDING NO.3,

20KM TO THE NORTH
OF HERE.

METAL GEAR CAN BE
DESTOROYED
IN ONLY ONE WAY.

ATTACH PLASTIC BOMB
TO THE FOOT OF
METAL GEAR.
Now Snake running all 20KM I'm not sure, but the number existed in game.

Iirc from a Longplay I watched it had something to do with building distance in Outer Heaven

Now Snake running all 20KM I'm not sure, but the number existed in game.
Snake didn't escape going the same way he came from though, he used what I can only presume is a escape route through a ladder. Furthermore, the 20km (and 10 km) figures are only for the distances between the buildings and not the distance Snake was travelling in the ending. So it would appear that the figure does come from somewhere, but it's not applicable to the feat in question.

feat is bad, stinky, and i got like, 8 ******* alts ranging from peak human to superhuman and like one or two subsonics.
but like, the feat technically DOES happen, it's just kind of an outlier.
He manages to escape Outer Haven, which has multiple stated distances, before the bomb goes off, which, as we know from future titles, completely obliterates the whole of it.

Last edited:
The second feat fyi is from the comics. While the illustrator WAS picked up to do Ops and PW for canon, the comics she did prior aren't canon and just cool stuff. They have shit like Solidus beating Raiden for example, and Snake shows up and sword duels him instead based af ngl

My dude, 90% of the shit on the profiles isn't usable, they're bad, with MGR being the only half-decent one of all things.
It isn't just movement that's the issue. As it is, the calc is fine and doesn't use any wrong info, it's just, kind of inconsistent with later showings.
but we have them at ******* 8-B too so not like that's a big deal, we'll just swap out more consistent values come the CRT in uh, eventually

I see, the movement speed was what caught my attention originally. Given that you imply a CRT will come someday, I assume this thread can probably be closed out of convenience for when that comes?

CRT will come someday
I've been working on it for 1.5 years
Someday is ******* right, I have to somehow find a way to record ops footage, and that game is ass ngl
Untitled521_20230202233338.png

Back