• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Silver Chariot's MFTL Anime Feat

I mean, Polnareff had to blaintly set up Hanged man just to get him into one predictable direction so that he could actually hit him, I really doubt he's faster enough to apply the garden snail calc. Rather, him making such a motion in the time he had to was just ruleu of Cool.

If he did it, he did it. And I'd take him actually being shown to be faster than light over him saying he can't anyday, and he has another FTL feat as well so I would argue him needing an elaborate plan is an inconsistency.

I am not knowledgeable on the accuracy of the calculation, so I'll stay away from that. In the anime it seems like Silver Chariot was manifested there though, so this kind of seems like MFTL+ reactions or combat rather than MFTL+ all around.

I can however speak on the actual feat itself and whether or not it makes sense. I often see people pointing out how because Polnareff needed to set him up in one predictable direction so he can't be MFTL if he needed a handicap.

If I told you roughly when and where I was going to point a laser pointer at you, would you still be able to tag it? Of course not, unless you have FTL movements you would not be able to react and tag it in time.

I mean, yes, he's definitely Faster then light, but he was shown through the entire fight to not be faster then hanged man. That attack was just rule of cool, doing a big slash rather then just bashing him somewhere where they can't reflect.

Me thinks that's an issue with size and speed, not just speed.

There's also the fact that a beam of light is rather hard to see in a well lighted enviornment. I think the handicap was just so he knew what to expect, not when to expect it.

It was explicitly stated he was too fast, maybe visibility didn't help, but he had to get it into a single direction to actually hit the sucker.

I never remember it being because he was too fast. He tagged Hanged Man twice in that fight, once when he threw sand at the eye of the kid who wouldn't stop following them, and again with the coin trick.

So can I see where it was explicitly stated that he was too fast?

We'd have to grab the scene specifically, I only vaugely remember it's contents, not enough to specifically point to it.

I do recall in the anime that Polnareff stated he couldn't see the speed of light.

Doesn't matter regardless. What mattered was that Silver Chariot had enough time to pull its arm back and then swing downward, all while the ray of light was frozen by comparison. That's what I was calcing; the tip's movement speed.

That seems like MFTL with MFTL+ reactions, though. He was manifested there, he didn't fly over in place. And even if he did, while he was being manifested it was dramatically faster until he started to swing, then it came to a snails pace.

Meh it's the dub but it'll be fine

Hanged man was a bright bean of light, it stood out pretty well from the crowd but it was also absurdly fast and they couldn't catch it, until they forced them into one direction where they were vunerable.

Then this feat is only valid for reactions. This would mean Silver Chariot would remain as MFTL but with MFTL+ reactions.

DMUA said:
Meh it's the dub but it'll be fine
Hanged man was a bright bean of light, it stood out pretty well from the crowd but it was also absurdly fast and they couldn't catch it, until they forced them into one direction where they were vunerable.
It being a bright beam of light is for our eyes only. We never saw the beam of light until we learned how Hanged Man was traveling. Up until that point it was inconspicious.

Both it being invisible and not being invisible could be argued as just building suspense/viewer convenience. It's frankly personal preference whether or not it's just that it was too fast to see before or that it's just hard to see a beam or light in the middle of day.

Though, did Silver Chariot do quite the swing it did in the anime as it did in the manga?

@Prof

Yeah, true. MFTL+ Combat speed as well.

@DMUA

I'd say Polnareff not being able to keep up with speeds that Silver Chariot has reacted to in the past is an inconsistency. SC could keep up with Star Platinum who has an FTL statement, tagged the Hanged Man twice, and deflected rays from The Sun.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
I'd say Polnareff not being able to keep up with speeds that Silver Chariot has reacted to in the past is an inconsistency.
But was Hanged man stated to be SoL?

One scene contradicting an entire fight seems more inconsistent.

Oh, I forgot that. Also, remember MFTL+ is only for the higher end that assumes Silver Chariot did a 270 degree swing with the rapier. The Lower end assumes a 180 degree swing and only got 860c, which is just MFTL.

ArbitraryNumbers said:
Oh, I forgot that.
Also, remember MFTL+ is only for the higher end that assumes Silver Chariot did a 270 degree swing with the rapier. The Lower end assumes a 180 degree swing and only got 860c, which is just MFTL.
Well a 180 degree swing seems kind of pointless and assumes he stops all momentum immediately after passing through Hanged Man.

I think the higher end should be used.

DMUA said:
Both it being invisible and not being invisible could be argued as just building suspense/viewer convenience. It's frankly personal preference whether or not it's just that it was too fast to see before or that it's just hard to see a beam or light in the middle of day.
Though, did Silver Chariot do quite the swing it did in the anime as it did in the manga?
I mean not really.

We were entirely unable to see it until we learned how Hanged Man was traveling. Then we were shown a beam of light. It's clearly meant to aid the viewer. Furthermore Pol and Kakyoin were still largely unable to see the beam, only the Hanged Man in the reflections.

If it was too fast for them, it doesn't explain how we were unable to see it earlier and are now able to see it after we learned how it traveled. It also doesn't explain how Polnareff touched it if it was borderline speed blitzing them.

So him needing aid in terms of trajectory wasn't to help him bridge the speed gap, it was to help him see what he needed to hit. The logic checks out too, you can't really see a beam of light in a well lit enviornment.

Back