• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Sergio Bonelli Comics Discussion Thread

About the plot manip, Dylan has his own writer constantly write him into and out of problems, said writer is an in-universe character but seems to reside in sort of a superior reality. Can this be applied to Dylan's profile?
It depends on the context, I think, can you provide the scans? Or even just the stories, so I can buy them whenever I have the chance, previous issues are cheap and easy to find anyway. (if it's not some super rare edition)

It depends on the context, I think, can you provide the scans? Or even just the stories, so I can buy them whenever I have the chance, previous issues are cheap and easy to find anyway. (if it's not some super rare edition)

Here the writer just alters reality completely, Dylan along with all the other characters just teleport around, die, come back to life.

Here the writer basically displays the fact that he sees Dylan and his actions as fiction

Here we see that he isn't necessarily a meta being, but he exists in a world inside the comics

And I don't have the scans on me right now, but there's a lot more in number 400, where he outright does stuff like saying "I don't wanna draw it, you know what? Dylan escapes off-screen" and the scene right after Dylan has escaped from the certain-death situation he was in. In regards to that certain death situation, the artist gets called by "Tiz", who's the in-comic stand in for Tiziano Sclavi, after a short discussion the artist (Who is Angelo Stano) says something along the lines of "I have no intention of letting your characters die". Tiz is implied to actually be a meta character, as the artist says "how good must your phone service be for you to call me from another world?"

Last edited:
Here the writer just alters reality completely, Dylan along with all the other characters just teleport around, die, come back to life.

Here the writer basically displays the fact that he sees Dylan and his actions as fiction

Here we see that he isn't necessarily a meta being, but he exists in a world inside the comics

And I don't have the scans on me right now, but there's a lot more in number 400, where he outright does stuff like saying "I don't wanna draw it, you know what? Dylan escapes off-screen" and the scene right after Dylan has escaped from the certain-death situation he was in. In regards to that certain death situation, the artist gets called by "Tiz", who's the in-comic stand in for Tiziano Sclavi, after a short discussion the artist (Who is Angelo Stano) says something along the lines of "I have no intention of letting your characters die". Tiz is implied to actually be a meta character, as the artist says "how good must your phone service be for you to call me from another world?"
The first three scans shouldn't be applied, imho, since there's the writer just doing his job and thinking, with more meta-narrative in the third, where his world(s) is somewhat superior to Dylan's, or maybe he's just drawing himself.
The last from n.400 may be used (not for vs threads, though), but it needs to be properly discussed once everything is at hand. This is the kind of stuff that is making others worry about non-english verses in the other thread.

That oughta work. Though, I feel I should mention, that's gonna be 8-C/High 8-C, and while I never read much DD, it feels outliery. Not sure if that big explosion should scale to a random magic attack too, but that depends on the context ig.

Could still calssify for a "possibly higher" on his dura, iirc, Dylan tanks stuff from even more powerful witches later on, but I'd have to look tbh

Bonelli's characters are all inspired by real people, so at worst they can be used as references for height and such.

But I disagree in scaling the energy of the explosion to a casual magic blast, it would also be an outlier for Dylan. But him being only slight hurt proves that the blast wasn't that powerful, not that Dylan himself is a walking tank.

But I disagree in scaling the energy of the explosion to a casual magic blast, it would also be an outlier for Dylan. But him being only slight hurt proves that the blast wasn't that powerful, not that Dylan himself is a walking tank.
Dylan is inconsistent even in terms of pure combat prowess, he usually doesn't seem all that good, but in volume 399 he's seen fighting hordes of vampires, headshotting them in quick succession and even casually lifting one by the neck with one arm. I'll try and stay as consistent as possible, but I have to look at everything before I claim what "consistency" even is in this context.
Btw, what are your thoughts on the plot manip?

Dylan also goes around with a bomb in his clarinet case, a zombie seems to tank this clarinet explosion point-blank, and Dylan can consistently kill Zombies with a single punch/kick. At worst, this would scale to his equipment's AP
Considering surface area and that it wasn't quite point blank, I'd eyeball that as 9-C+. Definitely ain't gonna be an outlier lol, but it's worth calcing, though I can't today

Scaling to equipment is good, I'm iffy on Dylan being phisically superior to bombs etc., also given the fact that he often relies on a pistol, but 9-C is still good, as it's in the realm of possibilities for humans.

Also damn, 399 seems pretty wild, compared to the DD I'm used to.
But the consinstency may be worth of another note, like the one about powers, I'm not sure how to handle it.

About plot manip, I gave my opinion in a previous post.

Also, Armor you are in a pretty dangerous zone, with you talking about makings calcs, I could take advantage of your skill to have my own Dampyr calcs.

Well, "skill" is a term I wouldn't use, but I'm more than willing to help. Though, 9-C+ is superhuman.

I remember that those issues are filled with references, like this page I saw at Lucca Comics 2019. And the issue with the wedding has dozens of other characters, like Lupo Alberto (who has appeared in DD many times, afaik).

The first three scans shouldn't be applied, imho, since there's the writer just doing his job and thinking, with more meta-narrative in the third, where his world(s) is somewhat superior to Dylan's, or maybe he's just drawing himself.
The last from n.400 may be used (not for vs threads, though), but it needs to be properly discussed once everything is at hand. This is the kind of stuff that is making others worry about non-english verses in the other thread.
What I asked wasn't "can these powers the writer shows be applied to Dylan", it was "can Dylan have Plot Manip listed, since an external character constantly uses it on him to help him out?". It's a complex matter, and if we agree with the stuff from volume 400, it would indeed be combat applicable, as one of the most notable instances of this happening is while Dylan is fighting a giantess.
In regards to where this writer resides, it's unclear, it's HEAVILY implied throughout the volume to simply be a far off future, but the writer-character appears in the present and is killed, which leads me to believe he's nothing more than an avatar, especially given how throughout the volume, Dylan reads a comicbook which is the comicbook we are reading, pannel for pannel and Dylan is basically seeing himself, and the writer who dies is also present... it's confusing

I read again the message on the first scan, I think some others are missing, because it only links to the page where Groucho shoots at a woman.

Combat applicable in-verse should be good, I'm referring to vs threads with other characters, because I think that this kind of external help from authors is banned even for other verses with similar instances, but this is also something that will have to be discussed with other staff members.

The other things with Sclavi being killed sounds confusing af, but the "I will not let your character die" should still be good, I think (always in-verse).

because this kind of external help from authors is banned
ok, this is what I was referring to basically. But wouldn't this also invalidate most type 8 immortalities, which rely on other characters from the verse/items from the verse etc? It looks to me like it's a discussion that should be extended to other mods, but I'll wait to have a clearer picture before doing so

The other things with Sclavi being killed sounds confusing af, but the "I will not let your character die" should still be good, I think (always in-verse).
nono, it's Stano himself who dies in this volume, Tiziano dies in volume 400, Dylan decapitates him, throws his head into space where it becomes a star... yeah

About type 8, I think it depends on the fact that author-like figures aren't permitted in vs thread, due to the setting being external to both verses. For example, in Deadool kills the Marvel Universe it's stated that Wolverine will never really die because the authors will always revive him, or this character that is the literal and canonical avatar of the author who created all the three universes of each manga, who wouldn't obviously let the protagonists die, and multiple other examples.
Most type 8 depend on something tangible or such in-verse, which rarely is represent by meta-narrative elements, so they are allowed.

Alos, 4-C Dylan with insane lifting strength, I guess

So, if Stano was not a meta-narrative being but part of the comic itself, it woould be acceptable?
I don't really know, it all sounds so complicated and nonsensical (in a positive way, I guess) that trying to use logic and translate everything into a superpower may cause more damage than else.
Wasn't the whole context based on the fact that the world was about to end due to the meteor, and reality was basically being completely ****** up in several ways to explain the reboot? I literally don't know what to say about it.

I feel like we shouldn't worry about this super haxy, metaphysical stuff right now, as people keep searching we might find more stuff that adds or subtracts to this.

by number 400, the meteor had already hit the earth and turned it into a wasteland; Dylan and Groucho survive because of either Probability or Plot manipulation (most likely the first) but lose their memory, so they go on a jurney to recover their lost selves which ends with Tiziano Sclavi killing Groucho, Dylan killing Tiziano and then the reboot happens, the old dylan is gone and there's a new one who's a self insert of Recchioni instead of Tiziano

Oh, it's a recent thing, I see.

Anyway, I want a Diabolik profile, I always thought he was really cool as a kid. Nathan Never too, but that sounds harder and he isn't as important in Bonelli's history IIRC. Zagor was cool too but we do have a (barebones) profile for him too.

Both Zagor profiles should be conceptually erased and recreated from scratch, honestly.

Nathan is important for Bonelli, being one of the major series, but it also has a long and complex continuity.
Diabolik would be very cool, but he kinda has the same problem, i.e. hundreds of issues, but I think he stays consistent, due to the realistic setting He also isn't published by Bonelli, but who cares.

Wait, ****, he isn't? Oops. Well I DID say I wasn't knowledgeable

yeah, good luck with Diabolik, he might have even more issues than TEX in terms of raw numbers
I mean if I had to guess, he's gonna be 9-C/9-B with virtually no abilities, but a shitton of Preparation stuff

Back