• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

SCP Discussion Thread 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
They never say that The Local Inscriptions are talking about the fact it is against the rules.

Matt, Matt ,MATT................ the species is literally called "KNOWLEDGE" and the library, the source of all knowledge which also contains a potentially infinite amount on information, agrees with the infinite dimensions thing.

You missed my point once again. My point is that this is an in-universe scientific theory. A scientific theory of an alien race, yes, but still just a theory.

So it's wrong because it's in-universe? ok, i can understand that to an extent. but what about that formula that will destroy almost everything mathmatical by proving that we miss a number when counting, or the equation that proves how and why reality benders exist and how they work? both of those have signifigant evidence for their stance, and SO DOES THIS.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Evidence which they themselves admit is shaky, unverfiable, and impossible for them to comprehend.
yes and the evidence for 11 dimensions in our own multiverse is exactly the same, yet people agree with it and most treat it as fact.

@Hi3

My god, the name of the species doesn't mean anything. A lot of real-life civilizations had or have names which are circlejerking themselves but that doesn't mean that they are right.

Japan is called the Land of the Rising Sun because the ancient Japanese believed they were blessed by a sun goddess who gave them sunlight before anyone else in the world, making them foremost over all other people. They had no idea the Earth was round so the notion of a place getting sunrise first was arbitrary.

Also evidence of infinite amount of knowledge?

@Kep

Yes, but this one is admitted to have no evidence. The one with evidence is 100K dimensions.

A scientific theory is a theory that has endured ALL attempts to debunk it. This is why you can't handwave evolution as a "theory".

Burden of proof, friend.

SITHISIT said:
yes and the evidence for 11 dimensions in our own multiverse is exactly the same, yet people agree with it and most treat it as fact.
Objectively false. plenty of people disagree with String-theory. The very reason it is a scientific theory in the first place is because it's falsefiable. All scientific theories we have are. Also dimensions in real life string theories =/= Geometrics based dimensions our site uses to rank people.

@Matt

i get that, but you would think it would mean somehting when OTHER SPECIES WOULD STILL CALL THEM THAT.

about the "infinite knowledge" thing, it is a major part of the LITERAL TREE OF KNOWLEDGE and is extremely heavily protected.

SITHISIT said:
100k dimensions is clearly stated just to be the number that they can safely catalog.
It's stated to be the number which they can prove exists, can catalogue, and is the mainstream view. Infinite dimensions is stated to be another interpretation which is unprovable.

It is never stated to have any evidence against it.

1. There are 196,884 dimensions in the OBSERVABLE space-time.

2. There are infinite dimensions in the UNOBSERVABLE space-time.

Hl3 or bust said:
@Matt
i get that, but you would think it would mean somehting when OTHER SPECIES WOULD STILL CALL THEM THAT.

about the "infite knowledge" thing, it is a major part of the LITERAL TREE OF KNOWLEDGE.
We still call Japan Japan. Doesn't mean the ancient japanese were right. Great argument.

Why are you using All Caps? This is just a debate on fictional characters.

>Part of the Literal Tree of Knowledge

Kay, and? Even if the whole Tree has infinite knowledge why should a part have?

Kepekley23 said:
It is never stated to have any evidence.

1. is provable.

2. isn't and is unobservable by the characters, it is speculation.

@Matt

the caps is half intentional and half me being too tired to care that i've accidentally pressed it.

also, inf/5 = inf and inf/inf still equals inf, thats just how infinity works

"However, the number of dimensions that form the entire space-time are stated to be layered in sets of countable infinities"

If this was speculation, the bolded part would be "that allegedly" or "that supposedly" form.

They outright admit it is even more concrete than the actual scientific theories, thus the burden of proof is on you to disprove this.

Hl3 or bust said:
@Matt
the caps is half intentional and half me being too tired to care that i've accidentally pressed it.

also, inf/5 = inf and inf/inf still equals inf, thats just how infinity works
infinite / 2 = infinite

infinite / 1^1000^1000 = Infinite

Unless the Library is infinite also, it is an infinitesimal part of the thing which supposedly contains all knowledge, and thus doesn't contain all knowledge.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Kepekley23 said:
It is never stated to have any evidence.

1. is provable.
2. isn't and is unobservable by the characters, it is speculation.
however in The Library, literally the hub of all knowledge, they support this infinite-dimensions thing.

at least thats what weekly said.

also 196k dimensions is what they can observe currently, infinite dimensions is what they cant, however, we cannot observe a 4th dimension, hell, not even an 11th dimension, however we still consider it true and fact that there is one. This is an ancient alien species who are literally called "knowledge" even by other races.

i literally just explained that infinity divided by infinity is still infinity, besides, "infinitesimal" doesn't mean "infinitely small" just that it's small to the point that it's almost or is beyond comaprision

this escalated far faster than anyone could have possibly predicted............... expect a possibe new thread mid-discusion or immediately afterwards

i also might not have helped because i didn't get that the library mentioned wasn't the library (as in, the one conected to the tree of knowledge)

No, the second part is simply an extension of the first speculation, working under the assumption that it is true.

Basically

"I cannot be sure if A is true, but if A is true that would mean that B would be true."

They don't say they aren't sure, though.

And the second part would require assumptions that are in no way scientific and are horrendously stupid if they didn't absolutely know A was true.

They say the unobservable space-time is infinite, and then they say it is layered atop a number of infinities, the exact number being unknown.

If they didn't know the first part was true, there's literally no way they could pull the second one out. Not to mention the fact that knowing this would be impossible without observation.

By "unobservable", they mean something that is true, but can't be observed. Just like you know time is the 4th dimension, but you can't oberv this. It doesn't mean we should throw scientific facts out, though.

I'm still (I'm sorry if the horse is dead now ;-;) gonna go back to the thing where, even if this being can destroy all realities and dimensions (if the infinite-D thing is accepted) since it's not observable, how could you know if they meant those dimensions as well as the observable ones?

After the fiasco that was the SCP upgrade, isn't it time we fix our canon before trying to upgrade anything? Now, since all canon written on the SCP wiki is 'canon', I believe we should establish something similar to the Nasuverse.

Hear me out, what Azzy brought up on the upgrade thread is true, our current rating system for the characters is atrocious. I am partially to blame for this, but I think we all are. We were all so hyped about getting our favourite verse upgraded, we didn't stop to think about how we went about doing it. So I think it's best if we don't go upgrading the verse and instead try to spend our time improving what we already have.

Now I know there are multiple canons that cross, dip and whatever, but most of the tales I read don't really relate to other canons, which got me thinking, why not we make profiles based on each canon story? It would make as much sense as having 6 Arturias, but for some reason, that actually works.

This would allow for the 682 that is the Scarlet King's son and the 682 that is the horse of Death to coexist. So one profile for the Leviathan of the Fourth Bride, and another for Death's Horse.

Also, for everything else that doesn't have a tale or canon, we should just use feats stated on their profile. And with regards to the dimensional thing, I think we should just leave it alone for now, and wait for more substantial evidence before jumping the gun.

What does everyone think?

I kinda agree with the suggestion of multiple profiles for each canon, and considering that pages can have "tabs" that lead to other versions of the same page, i don't see any problem with that

Although since 3812 and The Narratives and... Authors things, it is implied that the SCPverse's canons co-exist as different narratives (kinda like these verses where everything is canon, but take place in different universes, only that this time it is done on a much larger scale), hence... i am unsure if people should scale the God-Tiers to a number of dimensions that... was only said to exist inside a different canon... But i will let others decide that

Once more...I feel a bit strange that no one has ever mentioned SCP-2747 here.But why not if 3812 can be treated seriously?

Sir Ovens said:
After the fiasco that was the SCP upgrade, isn't it time we fix our canon before trying to upgrade anything? Now, since all canon written on the SCP wiki is 'canon', I believe we should establish something similar to the Nasuverse.
Hear me out, what Azzy brought up on the upgrade thread is true, our current rating system for the characters is atrocious. I am partially to blame for this, but I think we all are. We were all so hyped about getting our favourite verse upgraded, we didn't stop to think about how we went about doing it. So I think it's best if we don't go upgrading the verse and instead try to spend our time improving what we already have.

Now I know there are multiple canons that cross, dip and whatever, but most of the tales I read don't really relate to other canons, which got me thinking, why not we make profiles based on each canon story? It would make as much sense as having 6 Arturias, but for some reason, that actually works.

This would allow for the 682 that is the Scarlet King's son and the 682 that is the horse of Death to coexist. So one profile for the Leviathan of the Fourth Bride, and another for Death's Horse.

Also, for everything else that doesn't have a tale or canon, we should just use feats stated on their profile. And with regards to the dimensional thing, I think we should just leave it alone for now, and wait for more substantial evidence before jumping the gun.

What does everyone think?
Yeah, I agree

@Ultima

I think the God tiers should remain as 1-B. At least, our established 'main timeline' God tiers. Other universes if not outright stated to have countless dimensions should be given the 'based on profiles' or 'canon hub' treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back