• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Samurai Jack: Speed Revision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kepekley23

VS Battles
Retired
It's that time of the year again, my friends.

Introductio
Currently, Jack, Aku and some others are Relativistic+ via scaling from Jack's casual light dodge. That's alright, however, I have severe doubts about using this feat, and am inclined to believe it's an outlier.

The Downgrade
First of all, let us take a look at one the next best speed feats in the verse. The extremely infamous water drop feat, where Jack battles bounty hunters before a drop of water hits the ground.

It has been calc'ed at Mach 1.8, but since it's a tremendous lowball, let's be generous round that to baseline Hypersonic, or Mach 5.

That's easily one of the best, if not the best speed feat in the verse, and it's literally 140,000 times lower than the sunlight dodge. That alone casts severe doubt on the feat, but let's look at other feats from the series.

These are Jack's best speed feats. Now, let's look at feats where he actually got hit by non-relativistic things:

As you can see, Jack is very consistently Supersonic+ to Hypersonic. Him being Relativistic is an extremely high showing that contradicts all of his other feats. Why should we discard his consistent feats because of literally one feat that is hundreds of thousands of times above everything else?

My Proposal

• Downgrade Jack to either Supersonic+ or Hypersonic after the feats are calculated, and get rid of the Relativistic+ speed rating.

Except that this isn't Jack's only Relativistic feat, and that all those feats you've listed were done by Jack extremely casually whereas his Relativistic feats are done with immense difficulty.

You're saying that Jack is a consistent bullet timer yet use him getting hit by shuriken to prove that? If anything that's a low end. At least assuming that a non superhuman character is the one throwing those shuriken, which most likely isn't the case.

And what makes you say these are only hypersonic? This is a supernatural monster shooting fire blasts at him. They do not have to be limited to the actual speed of fireballs.

The final link doesn't seem to be working.

Although the light is real, it's a one-off that is never hinted at being a legit speed feat. Also the light moving to the dome appears instant and doesn't have travel time, so it's likely just an oversight. If it isn't an oversight, it's an outlier.

@Chartate

Samurai Jack is not even close to obscure.

@Ryu

Except that this isn't Jack's only Relativistic feat

The other feat has no source, and I haven't found it while browsing the web.

and that all those feats you've listed were done by Jack extremely casually whereas his Relativistic feats are done with immense difficulty.

This is false. The light dodge feat was fairly casual. Hardly any more difficult than him slicing war missiles, for example.

The light dodge was not as hard as the missile feat, and far more casual than the fireballs, for example.

It was definitely not "hard".

Xcano once provided a link for it. I'll try to find it again.

You can see Jack physically straining when he's dodging the light and barely evading it. Whereas he views those missles going slow and dodges them point blank without even looking. He's clearly putting more effort into dodging the light than he is those missiles. Not that it matters since none of these other Supersonic+-Hypersonic feats are suggested to be his limit.

The anti-feats are based on arbitrarily putting a Hypersonic+ cap on supernatural projectiles and the basic "Naruto's slow cause he can't dodge shuriken" argument which even assuming these are regular shuriken would be the biggest low end ever. The final I don't even see what's suggesting he's "struggling and making a big effort to be invisible". All I see is him Omai Wa Mou Shinderuing some mook.

Jack did not view the missiles in slow motion. They were only slower on the audience's PoV of them coming, for a split second before it cut to them going at normal speed. He did the exact same grimace with the missiles as he did with the light. It was not any harder.

Also, Jack was clearly staring at the missiles directly. He was not in any way not looking at them.

The feats not being suggested to be his limit isn't the point. The light dodge was never shown to be any harder than some of his other supersonic to hypersonic feats.

I see no reason to take feat that is 150,000 times higher than his 8-9 bullet dodging feats, even though he did it with the exact same effort as the missile feat.

Jack does seem to be consistently fighting at speeds much lower than Relativistic... I think the OP has some good points. Rewatching that 'light dodge' gif, the light already appears to hit the ground before Jack even starts moving.

It's showing Jack's perspective of the missiles. You can see his hat blocking his whole face. Jack still barely evaded the sunlight unlike with these missiles.

A character performing a lower end feat casually without it at all being suggested to be their limit doesn't contradict them doing a higher end feat. Even if that higher end feat was also casual.

But again, both the missile dodging feat and the light dodging wouldn't be casual. Two of your main anti-feats are basically classic Naruto downplay of shuriken and fire being relevant threats in the series.

Aku's flight speed was also calced at Relativistic ( yes Jack doesn't scale to Aku but it shows Relativistic isn't unheard of in Samurai Jack)

It's showing Jack's perspective of the missiles. You can see his hat blocking his whole face. Jack still barely evaded the sunlight unlike with these missiles.

Except in the next scene where we're shown Jack and the missiles, they're not slowed down and are going at normal speed. The only reason why they appeared slower initially was because of the distance between them and the audience.

Jack was grimacing when he saw the missiles, and only evaded them at the last second. I can make the exact same argument with them.

But again, both the missile dodging feat and the light dodging wouldn't be casual.

Yeah, but the difference is that the missile feat is supported by other 7 or 8 feats on the same level, and the light dodging was no harder than the missile feat yet is supposed to be 150 thousand times higher with the only other feat supporting it being a FTL+ feat from the comics that is without a doubt an outlier.

@Js250476 Jack doesn't have Aku's raw power, but speedwise he's never portrayed as overwhelmingly faster. He could've dodged all of Jack's attacks, blitzed him and taken his sword if that were the case.

I'm kinda surprised that the 'light-dodge' feat is being taken as seriously as it is. Normally if a character does something that's 150,000 times higher than their normal speed feats, then it would be declared an outlier straight away.

What feat does Aku have that is Relativistic?

Why should I believe that a casual Relativistic feat should be listed, as opposed to 8 feats that are also casual, but 150,000 times lower?

Saitama only has one High 6-A to 5-B feat that he did super casually. All his other feats are 7-B which are also super casual. The difference between this one feat and all his others is a ridiculously high number. He should get downgraded.

Saitama has 2 High 6-A to 5-B feats (Garou and Boros), 1 statement and 1 WoG confirmation of his status.

Big false equivalence, sorry.

Why are you focusing so much on the numerical difference? That is never really an argument.

Half the Hypersonic feats are likely not merely that at all. You are basically saying that Superhuman characters cannot throw shit at superfast speeds, and acting like fireballs need to adhere to ablation speed.

Meanwhile the relativistic feat took effort and is his upper limit.

He does not have 2 feats of such. Only one.

Jack has 2 relativistic feats.

Point remains that these super casual feats are not at all implied to be Jack's limit. So they don't contradict him doing higher feats.

And basically what Matt said.

The Relativistic feat didn't take effort, it was done with no more difficulty than some of the Hypersonic feats.

Is this the lightspeed feat that people are talking about? Because going through it frame by frame, the light appears to hit the ground before Jack starts his dodge.

Not exactly an impressive feat.

@Ryu

1. Boros

2. Webcomic statement

3. WoG statement

You're also blowing the "super casual" out of proportion, no offense. I've already shown you a feat that was done with the same effort as his Relativistic feat, but is only Hypersonic at best.

Similarly, most feats involve Jack bullet-timing with a neutral face, making it impossible to judge his effort at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back