• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Violations Reports - 68

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't a troll page, but it was likely far too controversial for our wiki, so I deleted it.

Hm, it's based off of a fictional book, but it is religous. We have pages for fictional characters based off the devil, would this be a similar scenario?

It is a much more sensitive issue to use a religious work for a deity that the 2 biggest world religions consider extremely important.

Those seem less serious. This is a very prominent classic text that is close to the source material. I am very uncertain about this.

I suppose that is a valid point. I just want us to avoid great controversy with religious people.

I think that, as long as we don't make a profile of the actual Jesus from the Bible, we should be fine. It was specified to be from "Paradise Lost".

It's not page it self, but the kind of shit that can happen if people use the character of jesus, or one very close image, in Vs Debates.

Aside from that, the statistics were kinda of questionable, Massively FTL+ cus "moving from the farthers reaches of reality to earth" and universal "creating the whole universe" needed elaboration.

We also have countless Satan profiles, and there are also people who worship Satan, and few other incarnations of controversial dudes

If that was a real Jesus profile, of course it would be offensive if there were matches, but this is just incarnation in other media

@Julian

Many religious people would likely not see it that way.

I agree with Newendigo. It is an unnecessary risk, and there isn't enough material to properly base the statistics on anyway.

@Antvasima

Wouldn't that be their fault for believing a depiction of Jesus from a poem that is widely understood as "non-canon" to the Bible is offensive in some way? Simply explain the profile to them and if they don't like it, tell them to ignore the profile. If they cause problems, report it and take corrective action.

Also, has there ever been a case of someone being offended over a somewhat ""close"" depiction of Jesus on the wiki before?

As well there can be nazis offended by Hitler losing to some character or Satanists offended by any incarnation Satan losing.

Also not only in vs debates, but in any discussion overall.

For example, arguing/question the power of what is basically, the true almigthy lord that many people believe in the current age, and I'm pretty sure no one here wants put themselves in such a can of worms.

What controversy? What drama?

When has anyone ever been offended by a profile for a fictional depiction of Jesus on an obscure wiki about which anime characters would win in a fight?

Dude, Paradise Lost is actually very religiously oriented, for a major world religion no-less. It'd be fine if the work had no direct connections to religion and was fully independent but this isn't the case here. Even though we likely won't raise a fuss (I'm christian and a profile of God himself wouldn't bother me), there are plenty of people online who will. Best to play it safe.

You're dodging my question.

When has anyone ever been offended by a profile for a fictional depiction of Jesus on an obscure wiki about which anime characters would win in a fight?

Nemo212 said:
You're dodging my question.
Again, playing it safe. There are plenty of unreasonable people that would make an issue for the wiki with FANDOM if they saw the profile. And it isn't just a random fictional depiction (we have plenty of those), it's a heavily religious work that is actually directly using the figure of Jesus, not some anime that makes him an assassin or something.

Yes, while Paradise Lost is extrabiblical and does not conform with the beliefs of any denomination, it still is very religiously oriented, with a large basis upon the Fall of Man and if I remember correct tales from the Book of Enoch (which is apocryphal, but is still belived by some denominations).

So Paradise Lost should be treated as if it were religious (in terms of its inclusion on this wiki being restricted) due to how grounded it is in faith.

Also this wiki isn't very obscure, and has far more than just anime characters, such as Elder Scrolls, Warhammer, Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, Discworld, Flatland, Hollow Knight, Cuthulu Mythos, Star Wars, Star Trek, A Song of Ice and Fire, Riordanverse, The Dark Tower, The Chronicles of Narnia, Xeelee Sequence, and those are all on the top of my head, though there is far more.

Also considering how many people show up here there is bound to be somebody getting offended by Shin Megami Tensei and its depiction of religious figures.

We have several profiles for Lucifer, and also many unflattering depictions of the Abrahamic God as well. I don't see how making a Jesus profile is any worse, if people will complain they might as well point to Lucifer Morningstar or YHVH.

Seriously, people, we're more likely to attract trolls because of not putting Naruto as tier 2 than because of religious characters here.

As said by others before me, it is not just some random depiction that takes many liberties, it is very similar to the Jesus of Christian Belief, too similar to be considered fictional. Thus should be treated as one in the same in a way.

Jesus from paradise lost is more similar to the biblical jesus than YHVH is to God and Lucifer is to the devil.

Also, Paradise Lost is a verse with outright religious themes and is meant to represent jesus (as Planck said), Vertigo and Shin Megami Tensei are distinct works with themes adapted from religion and fully treat it's characters as distinct characters, not religious archetypes, that's the difference.

InfiniteSped said:
We have several profiles for Lucifer, and also many unflattering depictions of the Abrahamic God as well. I don't see how making a Jesus profile is any worse, if people will complain they might as well point to Lucifer Morningstar or YHVH.
Those are explicitly not actual religious figures and are just fictional repesentations for entertainment purposes (even then I've seen people offended by SMT). In this case, the book very much intends to represent the actual religious figure of Jesus in a serious way. If this were just an independent work where Jesus happened to be a character, it'd be fine. But it very much isn't.

SMT is too divergent, while it still can be seen as offensive they are still clearly made to be their own divergent interpretations, while Paradise Lost is too close to the original to be treated as simply an interpretation.

I agree with all of the people who think that keeping the profile is a bad idea, for the same reasons, and in addition there isn't enough source material within Paradise Lost to tier it properly, nor would the matchup threads be uncontroversial, or all of the problems that this profile would bring with it be worth the nonexistent gain for the wiki of keeping it.

The controversy that the issue has generated within this thread is just a small taste of what we would have to deal with because of it in the future. Again, it isn't remotely worth the trouble, even though we likely wouldn't get death threats because of it.

I very seldom do this, but I use the authority of my Councilor and Bureaucrat positions to veto this profile. I am not going to accept it being featured here, period. Let's drop this discussion, and stop spamming this thread immediately please.

See, I think you guys are trying to prevent an issue that isn't even there to begin with. You keep saying people could see it as offensive, but nobody ever has. And frankly, keeping Satan up and deleting Jesus is going to be a lot more offensive to radical Christians than anything else.

EDIT: Ah shit, got ninja'd. My bad, Ant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back