• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Rule Violation Reports - 46

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't just tell someone to improve their English if they don't speak it well. Although I will admit we're having a failure to communicate. What's your first language, Jimboy?

If he's just here to troll then it's certainly taken awhile for people to notice or care considering he's been here since June.

We have been tolerant with him considering that he may have a disability, but he may also be play-acting.

Right but bad language doesn't = trollish behavior, has he done anything actually report worthy other than having bad language?

Cinnabar has a point. I checked his messages and he has been acting the same way since all the way back in June and has been extremely consistent in his behavior and speech pattern, so I don't think he is a troll. Maybe he's just that bad at English, not sure.

He is also consistently reacting very strangely and popping up in different threads in an obnoxious manner.

In that case a light warning might be sufficient, just reminding him to shape up his behavior and perhaps to get better at speaking English, (Since it seems to be bothering so many people.)

I have tried to reason with him previously. It doesn't help.

This is certainly a complicated situation. That said, what exactly do we gain by banning him? I'd prefer to avoid bans unless the person has agreigously broken the rules.

You don't ban him, it's not like he can learn fluent English overnight.

Just go off by what you understand, DUH

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I do not think ignorance of the rules is an excuse to break them. After all, ignorance of the law is not a viable legal defense, why should him not knowing the rules be a viable defense? It's available for all to see.

He is not coherent, he has been given many warnings now. It may suck that he doesn't speak another language but I'd rather give him a one week ban with a clear cut explanation: you don't edit profiles with any sort of consistency or accuracy and have been warned a numerous amount of times.

If he's really willing to contribute properly, he'll find a way to translate the ban message and hopefully return without issue, making blog posts firsts and then getting others to help him.

If he's not then he either leaves the site (which means no more vandalism we have to worry about) or he comes back and gets a longer ban with the same message.

We gain nothing and I garuntee we lose even more respect from others for always banning people simply because we're highly irritable, very suspicious of trolls, and are very busy.

There is no rule against using improper English. The rule is that we must use proper grammar when making pages.

@Sera EX the issue in my opinion is not that he can't speak english but that he can't listen to warnings. If he's vandalising (on purpose or not) and we can't get the message across for him to stop and go about creating/editting profiles a certain way, then we can't do anything but let him make shitty profiles and have us clean up after him.

I don't think it's fair to keep a user around who consistently breaks the rules and can't listen to warnings just because they don't speak english and we're trying to not hurt his feelings. We should apply the rules equally to everyone, malicious or not.

In general I think we should enforce the rules in a more strict manner. I think it's disrespectful for us to be lenient and always forgiving of trolls, not the other way around.

Vandalism is against the rules and is considered a major offense. So if he isn't listening to warnings regarding that, then yes ban him. So far his only crime seems to be being suspicious of trolling as the result of his bad grammar, but there's no evidence he is doing so.

I have zero tolerance for trolls, so I obviously agree with you on the last point you made.

Wait, he made bad profiles? Then yeah if he isn't listening to the warnings about that we have no choice but to give him a light ban.

I don't remember him making profiles. I do remember him constantly popping up in different threads and derailing them with nonsense though, and that he doesn't listen to people trying to talk with him about it. In fact, he thinks that they are harrassing him.

@Antvasima I know you've been really busy lately, but I think you should make an executive decision regarding what to do now that the situation has been laid out.

Might be a bit of work now but we've been talking about him for a few days now, so it'd be best to just put this problem to rest.

Well I used Google Translate, yeah it's not the best but it's something, and Solacis didn't give him a warning. He was just telling him to go learn English and that he should already know the language since it's easy. And, this may or may not be wrong, but I think he said he was in the 9th grade.

@Sera

Are you willing to give him a warning explanation, so we can see if he is willing to listen this time?

Sera EX said:
We gain nothing and I garuntee we lose even more respect from others for always banning people simply because we're highly irritable, very suspicious of trolls, and are very busy.

There is no rule against using improper English. The rule is that we must use proper grammar when making pages.
From what I've heard he's made various derailing/nonsensical comments in threads, voting FRA for characters that have no votes for them, etc.

The initial account doesn't seem to have been blocked by us, so they're fine.

Is that guy still screwing around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back