• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Ruining The Gag - Looney Tunes Explanation

DimeUhDozen

She/Her
At long last, we have a proper explanation for how Toon Physiology really works, and possible leeway for a Varies rating.

Time for some easier-to-understand clarification.

In an official guidebook, Looney Tunes: The Ultimate Guide, we get these passages.

Given this reading, we can say that this is all Subjective Reality.

Subjects like Roadrunner being able to defy physics simply because he believes that he can do it, whereas Coyote who doesn't believe that it's possible in that moment doesn't. A Toon's physical AP and Dura is whatever they think it can be - up to High 3-A, of course. Considering the actor's canon where the Toons have to endure pain in order to gain laughs, it gives a reason why they can be "harmed" by guns, anvils, etc, and why their feats vary so much.

This is backed up by Tiny Toons where toon physics are demonstrated in a lesson by Elmer Fudd. It's very hard to believe that if you won't fall if you're looking down and there's nothing below you. But the fact that you're not looking down, and you don't believe you will fall, and you don't, once again demonstrates Subjective Reality. It's why you have to go to school to learn all this and pull them off effectively.

But what is the source of that? Again, Tiny Toons has an answer. A UES. This Looney substance is something that exists inside most everyone in the verse, even humans. It's what allows the characters to pull off their stunts. When this power is extracted from toons, they become normal. This is surprisingly consistent. When Babs Bunny has hers extracted, it becomes an entirely separate entity that is able to pull off SR feats casually while she is left normal until it fuses back with her. (Note: The reason why this is different is because while Babs' toon force is extracted from her like the others, unlike the others, it is not absorbed and sealed in the machine, so it is free to assume physical form and go berserk). Characters with a higher level of this are able to pull off more, even gaining resistances like resisting getting absorbed, something Babs attributes to one's level of toon power, with characters like Bugs saying they were "just looney enough" to resist other abilities. This is a power that needs to be trained and built up over time in Looniversity such that they can pull off advanced stages of these powers -- examples being advanced Wild Takes, which are not able to be performed by those with a lower level of toon force experience.

It would make sense that the Deans and Professors of ACME Looniversity, Wile E. Coyote and Roadrunner, Daffy Duck, Foghorn Leghorn, Elmer Fudd, Granny, Pepe Le Pew, Porky Pig, Sylvester, Tweety Bird, Speedy Gonzales, Taz, Yosemite Sam, Orson Whales, Witch Hazel, which as per the show's premise, serve as mentors for the younger students, should be able to make use of these abilities to a degree that vastly surpasses their proteges, so that whatever they can do, the toons can do as well, since they literally teach cartoon physics, and those on their level that show up in their shorts alongside them, or professional toons like Slappy Squirrel should have similar clarifications. Whereas, Bugs who is the principal, late-season Buster Bunny, who has impressed him and Daffy a good many times, and the Warners who are an entirely next level of looney that they need to be contained in a tower are in the high tiers.

I propose that these explanations be added to the Toon Physiology page in more detail such that it can be further explained in versus debates and that the subjective reality reasoning and scans should be added to the SR section under Inherent Abilities. This can also arrange a Varies tier for the toons where we can be allowed to calc more consistent feats that range from building level to planet level to high universe level to show how varied their SR AP and Dura can be, and disprove the idea of "anti feats".

Agree: koopa3144, Gewsbumpz_dude, Flashlight237, Tonygameman, Fireld, Accelerated_Evolution, Duedate8898, Propellus
Disagree:
Neutral:

Last edited:
Yeah, this had always been a weird topic. Despite the wiki claiming that the toons are these gods that couldn't even narratively be killed (which is why the wiki has a High-Godly regeneration tier), Looney Tunes always treated the characters' toonforce and the antics that came along with them as a guideline rather than the rules unlike the VBW. Toons always had fairly realistic reactions to things that are generally dangerous to us: the general public, usually guns and dynamite. Oftentimes, you would find a toon getting burnt, injured, or otherwise stunned by explosions that they get caught in. Wile E. Coyote is probably the best example of this as he always gets blown up, but another notable example is when Yosemite Sam had to get a match out of a TNT storage because Bugs just repeatedly threw a match in there. There, Yosemite Sam failed to get the third match out of the TNT storage before getting his arse blown up.

Survivability had always been variable too. For instance, I recall a buzzard dying, having been turned into a stereotypical angel with a harp. I forget which cartoon it was; I think it was a cartoon based on the Blue Danube? I dunno. There had also been instances of toons being incapacitated, such as a cartoon where Sylvester and a dog were admitted to a hospital for leg injuries. They would often get into a fight in the hospital, with Sylvester often smacking the dog's cast-wrapped leg.

Do I consider any of these to be anti-feats? No. If anything, it just goes to show the sheer variability of toons and their workings. Hell, in Duck Amuck and its Bugs Bunny counterpart, you can see just how variable all this is. In Duck Amuck itself, Bugs Bunny had been portrayed as some interdimensional god screwing with Daffy Duck, yet in its equivalent where Elmer Fudd screwed with Bugs Bunny, we find Bugs having a stroke when he is put in front of a train coming right for him.

Given all this and the OP, I personally am in agreement with this CRT.

Hell, in Duck Amuck and its Bugs Bunny counterpart, you can see just how variable all this is. In Duck Amuck itself, Bugs Bunny had been portrayed as some interdimensional god screwing with Daffy Duck, yet in its equivalent where Elmer Fudd screwed with Bugs Bunny, we find Bugs having a stroke when he is put in front of a train coming right for him.
This is also to take into account that whoever is the Animator in a short has demonstrated a superiority to whoever is being toyed around with, especially if it's mid-tier toons like Daffy, and they've frequently shown to be able to bypass and negate their regen and resistances. It's why some toons get legitimately scared of what they can do. Although I don't think Rabbit Rampage had a scene like that. I believe you're thinking of Rabbit Punch where Bugs appears scared, but then cuts the film in half to avoid a bad ending, cool and collected as ever. Bugs's attitude during RR is more "do I HAVE to put up with this guy? I have to stay professional and do the short anyways". Less so that he's scared of Elmer, more so he wants to keep his job. Even then, he ends the short on his own terms. Bugs CAN assume the Animator's position, but it's more of a studio mandate that he doesn't than him being completely at Elmer's mercy.

Everything else about you've said completely checks out though.

This is also to take into account that whoever is the Animator in a short has demonstrated a superiority to whoever is being toyed around with, especially if it's mid-tier toons like Daffy, and they've frequently shown to be able to bypass and negate their regen and resistances. It's why some toons get legitimately scared of what they can do. Although I don't think Rabbit Rampage had a scene like that. I believe you're thinking of Rabbit Punch where Bugs appears scared, but then cuts the film in half to avoid a bad ending, cool and collected as ever. Bugs's attitude during RR is more "do I HAVE to put up with this guy? I have to stay professional and do the short anyways". Less so that he's scared of Elmer, more so he wants to keep his job. Even then, he ends the short on his own terms. Bugs CAN assume the Animator's position, but it's more of a studio mandate that he doesn't than him being completely at Elmer's mercy.

Everything else about you've said completely checks out though.
Okay, so there IS a train scene in Rabbit Rampage (or at least one version of it):

(4:46)

There, Bugs is forced to dodge the train.

Huh. I must've mistaken that bit for another bit in this old parody Rockwell AMV:

Okay, so there IS a train scene in Rabbit Rampage (or at least one version of it):

(4:46)

There, Bugs is forced to dodge the train.

Ah, you're right. Yeah, when someone says "Bugs" and "train", I frequently tend to think mostly of the plot feat.

Agreed🚂
This Looney substance is something that exists inside most everyone in the verse, even humans.
The wierd thing is that woman still had TF even before getting her tooniness back. Randomly popped under a rock, lifting super heavy objects crushing her, materialized a car plate in her rear...
Why wasn't the Babs & Bubster Part included in that album?

Also noting that the machine would need to have power nulled and sealed the lesser toons’s Looney energy, because we’ve seen what would happen if it were simply extracted and put somewhere. It would’ve just assumed physical form and/or busted out somehow.

So higher tiers would have Power Null resistance as well.

Iirc Looney energy might also qualify for something by also being the embodiment of one’s sense of humor but I would have to get the scan.

Last edited:
Back