• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Roland Deschain Additions

MrKingOfNegativity

Abstract embodiment of being undesirable
VS Battles
Retired
Figure I might as well get this one over with. The Gunslinger's missing some good shit on his profile, and it's time some of it was addressed.

Some of this is stuff I've found on my own, but most are things I found in two surprisingly comprehensive respect threads. (Big props to the makers of those threads, by the way. They caught a lot of things I've missed in my readings)

Physical Prowess

Senses

Body Control

Psychic Abilities

Discrepancies with this one

Roland does indeed possess resistance to telepathy and mind control in the novels and comics, as seen above. However, in spite of this, it's not until the 2017 film that he's shown directly resisting the full force of The Man in Black's psychic powers.

That said, his telepathic resistance appears to have become stronger over the course of the chronology (Ex: Flagg can effortlessly read his mind in the comics, but is incapable of doing so in the novels), and can thus be seen as having reached its current apex by the time the events of the film take place. If you're wondering why I'm bringing this up now, you'll see in the next section.

Magic Resistance

The Laughing Mirror Part II 3
The Laughing Mirror Part II 4
Discrepancies with this one

In The Gunslinger, The Man in Black was able to put Roland to sleep in both the novel and the comic. He does so with a single thought in the novel, but is shown raising his hands in order to do so in the comic, implying that the comic scene involved magic. While I initially believed this to be the case, it appears that if this were indeed an instance of magic usage, it would be the only case of Roland being affected by non-physical magic in the entire series. As such, it's likely that the act was done psychically in the comic as well.

The Guns of the Eld/The Guns of Deschai

Roland kills his mother 1 (Treachery, Issue -6)
Roland kills his mother 2 (Treachery, Issue -6)
Roland kills his mother 3 (Treachery, Issue -6)

Flagg seals the Grapefruit away
Flagg couldn't revive Roland's mother (Sorcerer)

Hopefully we can take this mountain of evidence and apply it to his profile. I'd certainly like to.

I count four people who agree with what's in the OP now. Am I cleared to make the changes?

Oh right, yeah. He should.

Granted, the Grow Bag only generates mundane things like tobacco and coins, but it should still be listed on his page.

So, we've got a good number of people in agreement now. Am I good to make the changes to his profile?

Edwardtruong2006 said:
Would any of these affect Roland's matches?
Actually, yeah. Roland's going to have Tier 1 protection against magic after this (thanks to being guarded by "the spell of the White"), so Harry Potter VS Roland Deschain is going to be a shitstomp once that goes through.

Other than that though, nah.

Yah. He's basically going to be Tier 9's version of Khârn the Betrayer after this, except his overpowered protection is going to cover a slightly more narrow field in terms of the powers it defends him from.

Anyway, this has a fairly overwhelming amount of support at this point. All I need is an admin to give the signal and I can make the changes right now.

Glaeken, you mean?

On one hand, yeah. Glaeken's going to be another example of a Kharn-esque character once I get around to making his profile.

On the other hand, Glaeken's null isn't Tier 1. Kharn and Roland's are. (Although according to Matt, Kharn's is at most just 1-B now.)

View it however you will.

Khârn only gets Khorne's realspace influence for his powernull, so it's only at least 4-A

so Roland>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Khârn ovo

MrKingOfNegativity said:
Yah. He's basically going to be Tier 9's version of Khârn the Betrayer after this, except his overpowered protection is going to cover a slightly more narrow field in terms of the powers it defends him from.
Well, the best people we put Roland against are mainly gunslingers so... it doesn't particularly matter.

Eh, for the moment that's only been due to him having no way to deal with hax. Once these are accepted, he's going to have plenty of things at his disposal that even the odds.

Also, bump.

Ultima Reality said:
I swear someone is going to make Roland vs Jill Presto at any moment now
Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku, but every time their blades clash, Palpatine says Do It-0
Anakin and Obi-Wan vs Dooku, but every time their blades clash, Palpatine says Do It-0

It's been three months, and nobody has objected to these at any point.

Am I allowed to go ahead and make these revisions now?

Finished the edits. Some of the stuff was already added, but I expounded upon it anyway.

My man Roland is coming up in the world.

Back