• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removal of Sonic Pocket Adventure statements

Ian should 100% be reliable in this issue as he literally works for Sega directly
No, he doesn't. He's a freelance writer that is just now part of a larger team. His word is not even close to someone like Iizuka.

I don't even think Ian is lying, he might be misinformed or things may change. Ian has said games were non canon when they were canon, etc.

I just want another source other than Ian to fully agree with this

Chronicles, for example, was stated to be non canon by multiple sources other than Ian, and by Frontiers. Although if there's enough agreement I don't mind removing Pocket Adventure from being canon.

I would prefer if there was an official source confirming this rather than just using Ian’s podcast. Not saying he’s lying but I would want to see the full picture. It does sound a little strange that Pocket Adventure would be blacklisted from the Encyclospeedia while Chronicles got a mention, even if it was that it got dropped from the canon (due to the whole BS with Ken Penders).

Pocket Adventure would be blacklisted from the Encyclospeedia while Chronicles got a mention, even if it was that it got dropped from the canon (due to the whole BS with Ken Penders).
I mean, that's the thing I think is most sus, the game can't even be mentioned in such an encyclopedia. And this non-canonical one can.

Fair, hope that breaks go well. But who else could I ping. I forgot @ElixirBlue was also Sonic expert who is also staff.
Here's a word from Shake, if a discord screenshot is acceptable
image0.jpg

You know Death of the Author exists right? And he's not even the author. It's like if some Dragon Ball editor would one day say SSJ is a 2 times boost, so that means it must be true right?
What does Death of the Author have to do with this? You mean your headcanon of Pocket Adventure being canon is more important than the word of Ian "Wrote a mainline game script" Flynn? Your multiplier example has nothing to do with this, since that's blatantly contradicted in the manga, whilst Pocket Adventure has no evidence for canonicity. It does however have evidence for being non-canon. You once used Tailstube as a source in a blog, and you know who helped write that? Ian Flynn. He's reliable when you want him to be reliable. Stop with the hypocrisy and choose a side Gilad.

What does Death of the Author have to do with this? You mean your headcanon of Pocket Adventure being canon is more important than the word of Ian "Wrote a mainline game script" Flynn?
Ian didn't wrote Pocket Adventure either, so your argument fall flat
Your multiplier example has nothing to do with this, since that's blatantly contradicted in the manga, whilst Pocket Adventure has no evidence for canonicity.
Pocket Adventure has also no evidence for non-canonicity aside from the words of a man who also had some tendencies to go into headcanon territory and outright say false stuff (not lies, but false information, like Hyper Sonic being asteroid level), so I wouldn't treat his opinion as absolute truth unlike you, especially when it's about something he wasn't involved with at all

Pocket Adventure has also no evidence for non-canonicity aside from the words of a man
I don't think that's how it works. Prove something negative.

For example "you are guilty until proven guilty"

or

"Prove that there is no invisible and intangible horse behind you"

How could you prove that an invisible, intangible horse behind you does not exist? The guy who said he would have to prove that the intangible and invisible horse exists.

Like, are there no quotes about this game or the events of it in any of the canonical games in the series?
not lies, but false information, like Hyper Sonic being asteroid level
It's not like the writers are powerscalings

I definitely feel like there's a difference between getting stuff wrong about a story, and getting something wrong about the copyrights of a game. I'll stay neutral for now, but I'll be watching this thread with interest.

I don't think that's how it works. Prove something negative.
The work was assumed to be canon until he said it isn't. And if the only evidence is the words of a guy with questionable reliablility, then we'd need more evidence
It's not like the writers are powerscalings
Doesn't make it less wrong though. Even the Death Egg and Eclipse cannon are like planet level at bare minimum based on story statments alone without further scaling stuff

Ian didn't wrote Pocket Adventure either, so your argument fall flat
That's not the point. Ian should know what is and isn't canon. I admit that he doesn't know shit about powerscaling, but this statement has nothing to do with that.
Pocket Adventure has also no evidence for non-canonicity aside from the words of a man who also had some tendencies to go into headcanon territory and outright say false stuff (not lies, but false information, like Hyper Sonic being asteroid level), so I wouldn't treat his opinion as absolute truth unlike you, especially when it's about something he wasn't involved with at all
This statement is not his opinion. All evidence points to this being the truth. And I'm fairly sure burden of proof falls on you to prove its canon; which you can't. Ian's word isn't the be all end all on everything but using power scaling beliefs and head canons is a false equivalency. My geographical knowledge would have no impact on my ability to do math for example.

That's not the point. Ian should know what is and isn't canon. I admit that he doesn't know shit about powerscaling, but this statement has nothing to do with that.
why should Ian known everything about what is or isn't canon? he is but one guy hired to help the canon team, nothing else, he doesn't known every answer, he has been wrong before, why take this one source as the ultimate truth on this, specially since we don't know where he got that information from

This statement is not his opinion. All evidence points to this being the truth.
"all evidence" being?

And I'm fairly sure burden of proof falls on you to prove its canon; which you can't. Ian's word isn't the be all end all on everything but using power scaling beliefs and head canons is a false equivalency.
Ian was also straight up wrong multiple times, like the already said "only male hedgehogs go super" statement, all that this has to disprove the canonicity of PA is Ian's words and nothing more, don't act like you have a strong case here

My geographical knowledge would have no impact on my ability to do math for example.
depending on the subject of geography, it would

Orwell_1984.png

"Sonic Pocket Adventure isn't canon"

No but like really, I don't see any good reason to doubt Flynn's statements here, there's a huge difference between making questionable statements about in-verse lore which is ultimately subjective and his knowledge of actual IRL rights issues and SEGA mandates lol.

Back