• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Removal of Sonic Pocket Adventure statements

Based on a question I asked in this thread here.

According to Ian Flynn in a BumbleKast episode, Sega has completely blacklisted Sonic Pocket Adventure from the canon due to licensing issues and is not even allowed to be mentioned by name.

I don't think it will really change much for tierings, but pages that use statements from it (such as on Classic Sonic's) should have statements relating to feats from the game removed.

Agree: @TheMonkeMan @That_moron @y3p_owo @JJSliderman @ZespeonGalaxy @BrackishBrineBroth @Eseseso @Robo432343 @Nierre @ShakeResounding
Neutral: @Theuser789 @Da3ggman
Disagree: @Undylan

Last edited:
You do realize Ian comtradictrd both himself and actual canon material many times right?

It's as if I'd use Toriyama statements to say SSJ is a 10 times boost

Says who? All that you provided was statements that sega couldn't put PA in the encyclopedia, all the others is Ian saying that it isn't canon, not sega
He outright said that Sega is the one who decided it non-canon in the first video, did you even watch it?

It's as if I'd use Toriyama statements to say SSJ is a 10 times boost
Because that statement was later retconned with something else.
There is nothing at all that opposes what was said in the videos I posted, and if there is, then post it because I haven't found anything that retcons these words.

I would rather wait on more official word from the rest of the team on the canoncity of this game than relying on Flynn, but I don't mind removing it if needed

1. Ian and Kyle state that Pocket Adventure is "decidedly non-canon", explaining due to rights issues involving SNK
  2. Ian states that SEGA forbade the team from even mentioning the game due to disputes and forced them to remove its contents from the Encyclo-speed-ia
  3. Ian and Kyle joke about Pocket Adventure's non-canon nature
The consistent narrative here is SEGA rendered the game non-canon due to a conflict in rights.
I don't why he'd describe his own interpretation of its canonicity as "decidedly", that feels more like forwarding the words of SEGA themselves.

Because that statement was later retconned with something else.
There is nothing at all that opposes what was said in the videos I posted, and if there is, then post it because I haven't found anything that retcons these words.
It was never rectonned lol. SSJ was always a 50 times boost no matter where you look but then Toriyama said it was exaggarated so I guess we should downgrade DB based on that right???

Yeah, Ian isn't exactly word of God unless the rest of Sega supports it.

It was never rectonned lol. SSJ was always a 50 times boost no matter where you look but then Toriyama said it was exaggarated so I guess we should downgrade DB based on that right???
This is kind of a false equivalent.
He never said the boost was non-canon or gave a specific estimate for it, he just said it's exaggerated.
This is just Sega saying it's completely non-canon and it won't be acknowledged by them due to legal issues.

To be fair this is completely different from him commenting on something inside of the game. I think Ian should be reliable when it comes to words about licensing/canonicity (in situations like this when it directly pertains to Sega) since he literally works with Sega and according to him Sega themselves say it's not canon.

Like, there's still this here.

1. Ian and Kyle state that Pocket Adventure is "decidedly non-canon", explaining due to rights issues involving SNK
  2. Ian states that SEGA forbade the team from even mentioning the game due to disputes and forced them to remove its contents from the Encyclo-speed-ia
  3. Ian and Kyle joke about Pocket Adventure's non-canon nature
The consistent narrative here is SEGA rendered the game non-canon due to a conflict in rights.
I don't why he'd describe his own interpretation of its canonicity as "decidedly", that feels more like forwarding the words of SEGA themselves.
Like, not even being able to mention the name of the thing in the encyclopedia is kinda sus. I mean, for me it is.

This is my problem with this thread and why I can't fully agree with it. The source that Pocket Adventure isn't canon only comes from Ian's claims which aren't realible. That's why I would like to see more sources than the Bumblekast.
Ian should 100% be reliable in this issue as he literally works for Sega directly.

He is 1 guy working partly on 1 team for sega. He is not 100% reliable in anything regarding the things he didn't worked on
When it comes to licensing issues like this he literally has no reason to lie at all. Especially when he literally has higher up contacts at sega and works with them.

This is my problem with this thread and why I can't fully agree with it. The source that Pocket Adventure isn't canon only comes from Ian's claims which aren't realible. That's why I would like to see more sources than the Bumblekast.
What source would you want? We never see it in Encylo-speed-ia, and never see it referenced ever.

When it comes to licensing issues like this he literally has no reason to lie at all.
When have i said that he is lying?

Especially when he literally has higher up contacts at sega and works with them.
Define "higher ups" we don't known where he got the information from, in fact, we don't known if that is the information he got, with these wordings, or if it is just him interpreting this way

When have i said that he is lying?

Define "higher ups" we don't known where he got the information from, in fact, we don't known if that is the information he got, with these wordings, or if it is just him interpreting this way
How this mf sees Ian:
53oxgcq0c2db1.jpeg

The fact that he is directly working with Sega, and knows its mandates better than 99.99% of people on the planet?
You know Death of the Author exists right? And he's not even the author. It's like if some Dragon Ball editor would one day say SSJ is a 2 times boost, so that means it must be true right?

The fact that he is directly working with Sega, and knows its mandates better than 99.99% of people on the planet?
none of this address any of the points i have presented whatsoever

even so, that makes him an indisputable 100% trust worthy font because? he said things that contradicted the games many times before

Back