• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Relooking at Mario's stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, we got another translation:

"Great! You came! Princess Peach and we are locked inside the wall

Bowser is trying to create a monster world inside the wall and the pictures by using power stars! Get them (the stars) back!

When you get few stars back, the door will open. Search the 4 rooms on the first floor!

First, you can go into the first room on the left. This room eluded the seal!

When you retrieve 8 stars, you can open big start door. Princess peach must be in there!"

Again, it implies that Bowser didn't create the worlds inside the paintings but more convert the worlds of the paintings to his own image. I guess this translation also supports immersion.

WTF!! The same source said this: Yes it says there are starts hidden inside of the pictures. You must find them in order to break the seal. It’s a little confusing to me because in the first picture the shroom says “power star” but after that he keeps saying “stars” but I’m assuming it’s the same thing.

Here's the deal: you can argue Bowser created something until you are blue in the face but it does not change the fact that the argument rests on special pleading, ignoring the original translation, cherrypicking the word "create" to only mean one thing it cannot possibly mean, using a joke from an English only manual that uses an English-only idea (Mario from Brooklyn), ignoring paintings existing in the physical world (equivocate it to 1-1 all you want but it does not change what an omniscient third person source tells us, or the characters in the galaxy in both the Mario and Luigi campaign), portraits having histories (and no, metaphysics will not save you), and oh yeah, using the character portraits actually defeats your own argument (Bowser apparently created these paintings and kidnapped Mario, Luigi, and Wario in these paintings yet there were secret castle stars in those paintings he did not know about??) There is not a single source consistent with the claim that Bowser created these things, and even then you run into the scaling issues earlier in the thread, and the starry sky issue.

Ignore all of this and then you have a case. Starry sky feats are wack, that is all.

Frankly I think I'm just going to bounce, this thread has gone on for over 500 messages of mostly stonewalling and focusing on minutia while all of this has been ignored in favor of an overly simplistic, context ignoring conclusion that creation was somehow involved. And again, I am not even against cosmic Mario, these feats are just really, really bad.
These seem like good points as well.

Just because I like to double check I gave the King Boo image to r/AskJapan as well:

This is the translation I got:

Terevision (a pun between television and Teresa, Japanese name of Boo. More like ‘terrorvision’, probably) B- Return ; A- Select

‘This is a space created by King Teresa (Boo) at at another world with his tremendous power! Do you possibly have the courage to fight here?’

That would be best, also I can’t wait for thanksgiving this year even the current crisis that’s been happening I hoped our guys feel the same way and god bless 😇😇
Thank you for the sentiment. We need some well-intended optimism these days. I am risking to slide into existentialist pessimism myself.

What I'm finding funny now is that the previous large Mario CRT thread of 5 pages took over two months to get that big while this one took only under a week!! And it's still going

What currently holds the record for longest Mario CRT thread on here? We might be setting new record

Last edited:
K so I agree with everything Weeb's saying except for this part:
Alright, making a full response. Before I begin, any and all translation arguments being used are HEAVILY moot.

• Maverick's source came from Reddit, not a place I would use.
This is poisoning the well and the source is specifically from r/translators reddit which from what I remember is a host of different official translators that have legit backing behind them, not just anyone is allowed to translate and you can ask for multipletranslators.

and the source is specifically from r/translators reddit which from what I remember is a host of different official translators that have legit backing behind them, not just anyone is allowed to translate and you can ask for multipletranslators.
I've checked their description and about, none of it mentions only specific people can respond.

I've checked their description and about, none of it mentions only specific people can respond.
"Please don't post fake or joke translations, and don't copy-and-paste Google Translate output and call it your translation. This should be self-explanatory. Our users have been pretty unanimous about this: joke translations get downvoted, reported, and marked as spam, and the offense may be grounds for a ban from the subreddit. The regulars here don't find joke translations funny, so if you're looking for cheap internet points, please direct your browser elsewhere. (per u/smokeshack) Furthermore, there's a reason why people submit to this subreddit, and it's not because they want gibberish from Google Translate or other automated translation utilities regurgitated back to them. 99.99% of the time, Google Translate output is riddled with vocabulary, grammar, and tone mistakes. (Example: As of 14 July 2016, Google Translate renders "I can't understand Chinese" as 我不明白中国, "I can't realize China.")"

"Verified
Translators who have contributed three substantive translations or more can apply to be a verified translator. Of course, lack of verification does not imply that an unverified contributor's posts are less reliable or meaningful! This is a way for the subreddit to recognize long-time members of our community who have experience with translating requests here and whose translations have been well-regarded by the community.

Click the link in our sidebar, read the simple instructions, and get verified!"

Aren't we no different considering we calculate characters' theoretical tiers?
How is calculating a pre-established feat and using it the same as using something for lore based off a theory? Like I get in concept what you're trying to say but both are realistically very different. One is a canon feat using scientific basis to try and find a value the other is an assumption that isn't confirmed in the series at all and is pure headcanon.

Anyways, the translation I got from my friend about King Boo was deemed correct from others. I've asked him once again about the Toad scan, and this is what he got.

"Bowser used the power stars to create enemy worlds inside the paintings and walls. Return all the stars please!"

Worlds as in plural. So yes, Bowser did make these.

Also, uh, I may have been too quick on the Brobot feat. From what others said on Discord, including DDM, the feat is actually valid. So the screen transitions would actually be more proving Brobot was the cause because Mario didn't case after them and left to space. And I was blind and didn't see the stars-

All staff members:

So what should we do here exactly?

Maverick:

We would unfortunately likely get spammed far too much. Sorry.

Regular members could just have a limit of tagging up to three staff members per post, or if possible just giving this feature to trustworthy regular members, rather than just any user.

Also, uh, I may have been too quick on the Brobot feat. From what others said on Discord, including DDM, the feat is actually valid. So the screen transitions would actually be more proving Brobot was the cause because Mario didn't case after them and left to space. And I was blind and didn't see the stars-
Could you please expand on this?

I'm confused, I thought Bowser was converting the worlds within the paintings into worlds of monsters? Not creating the worlds themselves. Are we going to deny that these worlds have their own histories again?

I disagree with Brobot’s feat unless there’s direction confirmation of creation going on. The Power Star feats seem to hold weight to them though.

Basically when the boss battle of Brobot begins, the screen rips in half and you're in space out of nowhere. When you defeat Brobot, the screen blows up and you're suddenly back to your original location. Also the green stuff below would further imply it's from Brobot. Also the background is different from World 4's backgrounds (it doesn't have the power-up shapes), so it isn't just World 4.

Screenshot_20201123-154757.jpg

Not to mention
Basically when the boss battle of Brobot begins, the screen rips in half and you're in space out of nowhere. When you defeat Brobot, the screen blows up and you're suddenly back to your original location. Also the green stuff below would further imply it's from Brobot. Also the background is different from World 4's backgrounds (it doesn't have the power-up shapes), so it isn't just World 4.

Screenshot_20201123-154757.jpg
Couldn't the screen ripping just be warping outside?

And also, create can mean a lot of things, like creating a kingdom, creating monsters, not directly creating the worlds themselves. And also these worlds have their histories and it's proven in this thread dumb to simply create something to conquer anyway. Disprove the histories and also the fact that there are stars Bowser did not know and we can accept the power star argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back