• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Time Slow vs Time Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
"time stop> time slow", the opposite is true aswell.

But to a subject it's generally conceived as a more effective feat.

PaChi2 said:
Afaik the majority thinks that timestop > timeslow.
Depends on the type of time stop. Stopping time but people can still move normally is insignificant to a combat applicable time slow that actually slows you and/or your surroundings down.

@RR Not really. Appeal to popularity is when you say "X is true because it's more popular than y.", while in this case there are actual reasons that may be logically considered for both sides, so we have to eventually decide based on voting and ammount of support and opposition as otherwise this kind of discussion may never be settled at times.

At least, this is what I understand of the system, myself.

Would not the smartest thing to do just be:

Time-Stop Resistance equals Time-Slow Resistance until proven otherwise?

I mean, we are going in circles here, we have to come to a conclusion sometime.

FateAlbane said:
@RR Not really. Appeal to popularity is when you say "X is true because it's more popular than y.", while in this case there are actual reasons that may be logically considered for both sides, so we have to eventually decide based on voting and ammount of support and opposition as otherwise this kind of discussion may never be settled at times.

At least, this is what I understand of the system, myself.
It wa "deleted"

Depends on the type of time stop. Stopping time but people can still move normally is insignificant to a combat applicable time slow that actually slows you and/or your surroundings down.

Well, those things are discussed in vsthreads, not every reality warper has combat applicable RW, you know.

But, they are still not comparable, especially if we are going to include 1-A's to such a subjective logic( this is neither possible nor impossible).

Kepekley23 said:
@Sera

How is it time-stop if people still move?
I freeze time so everything outside is at a standstill except for the place we are in. For zero interference. Or, so we can fight for eternity without time moving outside.

Well, Time never brings things into nothing.....but into what is yet to be.

One can nullify all change, leaving all objects solitary and absent of subjective presence, with only one essence left within infinity. But that is, not at all the basis for 1-A's.

Infinity is a mathematical concept, pressing the off button to a specific localized space does not equal to actually removing the very presence of this button.

If you can stop time, someone ca also make it start. 1-A's can easly erase the trace of these mechanics, and adding entierly new one's. On a conceptual level.

Regardless, this time stop>time slow should not be a general rule.

... Wait, is this for real?

Time stop-resisting people being affected by time slow?

Wha?

I mean, I guess fiction's pretty strange, with people resisting time stops and not resisting time slows, but that's case by case analysis, and even then, I can think a lot of different explanations. The only case I could see a argument was a "room-wide" time stop against a universal time slow, and even then it can be debated for both sides.

"Unless special circumstances are met, which would be analyzed in a case by case basis, characters who have shown resistance to time-stopping abilities are assumed to be resistant to time-slowing abilities by default."

Does that sound right for a rule?

Shouldn't it be the opposite? @PaChi, generally I don't think fiction has even showed people resistant to time stop resisting time slow, unless you have an example?

SomebodyData said:
Shouldn't it be the opposite? @PaChi, generally I don't think fiction has even showed people resistant to time stop resisting time slow, unless you have an example?
Time stop is a greater form of time slow, so if you're resistant to time stop, you would be resistant to time slow. That was the entire discussion of this thread.

SomebodyData said:
I have the opposite, tho. People resisting timeslow who cannot resist timestop.

Well yeah, but I don't think fiction has ever depicted it that way. Even in the other thread, it was shown otherwise.

I'm fine with whatever is decided, but I feel like it just needs to be pointed out.

SomebodyData said:
Well yeah, but I don't think fiction has ever depicted it that way. Even in the other thread, it was shown otherwise.

I'm fine with whatever is decided, but I feel like it just needs to be pointed out.
Because fiction interpretes void feats like we do right?

Digimon would be very very weird if it was depicted with infinite speed.

There is a difference between a direct contradiction and not appearing to be something.

Like I said, I'm fine with whatever is decided, just that I felt to point out that fiction doesn't tend to work that way,

That defeats the point of this thread. Pretty much everyone agreed with doing that.

Also, I agree with Pachi's suggestion.

In toriko timeslow is shown to be qualitatively inferior to timestop, both are done using the same ability, only to a different degree.

Basically, the main argument here seems to be "fiction usually treat them differently". That's bad in itself. Fiction usually have PIS. Fiction usually have the writers, directors or whatever not doing research (And sometimes they do and still do that for entertainment sake). Fiction usually has CIS. I can go on.

Logic should dictate the course of action, unless specifically stated otherwise, not the inverse.

@Eliminator

Logic states that Flash should destroy his knees from the G-Forces that come from turning ever so slightly to the right at the speeds at which he runs.

That argument only goes so far.

There needs to be some suspension of disbelief at times

@Reppu

Logic is different from realism. Supposing he has superhuman durability, which he frequently shows to have, it would still make sense.

Suspension of disbelief is one thing. Complete disregard for logic is another.

No, it is possible and factual if the flash is described to make such a feat happen.

I hope you don't actually think their laws of physics are same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back