• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding the new infobox

Antvasima

Maintenance worker
He/Him
VS Battles
Bureaucrat
Administrator
Hello.

I have been made aware that some of our members have already begun to insert the new infobox into profiles.

We haven't even made a decision about which format to use yet, so I would appreciate if they would stop doing so for the time being, and quickly revert all such edits. Thank you.

Help to apply whatever we eventually decide would be appreciated later on though, but for the time being, please show some patience.

Wait, I feel like I'm missing something here. Are infoboxes a requirement now?

Pretty sure they were going to be implemented due to the unnecessarily long powers and abilities list in some profiles.

I don't think all profiles would have this.

Well, there is the standard format page after all. So "technically" doing that would go against normal profile 'rules'.

I'd guess that until the new infobox format is approved(?) and put in that page as a secondary option (or maybe replacing the old one idk), it's technically going against the normal stuff.

Edit : my bad I misunderstood what Crab said lmao.

Super Saiyan God Julian said:
Pretty sure they were going to be implemented due to the unnecessarily long powers and abilities list in some profiles.
Don't tabbers already take care of that?

And yes, I am talking even outside of different Keys, with just separating, say, powers from resistances.

Crabwhale said:
Super Saiyan God Julian said:
Don't tabbers already take care of that?
And yes, I am talking even outside of different Keys, with just separating, say, powers from resistances.
They were discussing how tabbers look bad on mobile

Yeah I kinda agree with Ricsi here. If you're using mobile mode without switching to desktop or just download the app you're basically giving yourself a diluted and quite frankly, shittier, experience. We don't need to fix something so minor that can easily be circumvented.

The issue started with me bringing up that we have bad search term visibility on Google thanks to that our pages are not customised for mobile viewing.

I've undone the test edits I added to a couple of pages.

If somebody could handle removing the infobox from some of the pages on this list, that'd be great.

Ant with all due respect are we truly willing to commit to significant change like this on top of all the other significant changes being made right now '''on top of''' Forums getting erased in a month's time or so for a few extra views?

@Crabwhale; what other significant changes are going on right now aside from the move to the new forum?

@Crabwhale This isn't supposed to be a instant add project that everything will be applied right away, but an over time type of deal.

Damage3245 said:
@Crabwhale; what other significant changes are going on right now aside from the move to the new forum?
Soulcalibur's getting a revision, Kingdom Hearts as well, Cross-Dimensional vs Low Multiversal range, Fairly OddParents revision, non-Universal concepts and a few more to get ahead of stuff.

@KLOL506; a few of those seem pretty niche to me. Revising a verse doesn't seem like a site-wide project.

@ Og

I know. Doesn't make it that much more justifiable to me. It feels frankly pointless, or at the very least a change with very little return.

Also, this may be personal bias talking, but I find infoboxes incredibly ugly in general.

IIRC DontTalkDT also had some revision threads for himself and other verses we rely on for our tiering system (Forgot which verses tho) but he's become considerably busier as of late and might very well not be present even after the Forums shift is done.

Crabwhale said:
Ant with all due respect are we truly willing to commit to significant change like this on top of all the other significant changes being made right now on top of Forums getting erased in a month's time or so for a few extra views?
I agree that this shouldn't be applied yet. We should preferably wait until a few months after our forum move. I am just trying to prepare us well in advance by discussing the issue.

KLOL506 said:
We try to cater to mobile fans, we butcher the desktop fans. Guess there's no satisfying both at the same time without any gripes.
This is a good point. However, this was mainly about how to improve our Google search visibility.

KLOL506 said:
IIRC DontTalkDT also had some revision threads for himself and other verses we rely on for our tiering system (Forgot which verses tho) but he's become considerably busier as of late and might very well not be present even after the Forums shift is done.
Well, DontTalkDT is probably a borderline genius, so he is very busy with complicated mathematical tasks.

Anyway, thank you for helping out everybody. Also, the test forum is up and developing very quickly with the requirements list that I and my friend wrote up.

I personally think Info boxes should be something considered optional; I personally don't consider them that important. And it's definitely not worth looking over 24000+ pages just to make a slight edit. But I do agree that we should preferably avoid shifting to info boxes at least till a final decision is made. 99% of my sandboxes also have yet to make any sort of updates regarding that.

But at the very least, I do agree with the OP we should wait for the final decision.

Antvasima said:
KLOL506 said:
We try to cater to mobile fans, we butcher the desktop fans. Guess there's no satisfying both at the same time without any gripes.
This is a good point. However, this was mainly about how to improve our Google search visibility.
I've noticed that our pages tend to come up higher when searching for renders of characters, if that means anything.

This is nonsense really. Look at other wikias. Plenty have pages that are both desktop and mobile friendly. We have virtually no excuse, other than tradition.

Also, "fan"? Really? I wouldn't call them fans. This isn't console wars. Surely there's people that prefer one over the other, but most people use either due to personal convenience, not fan-based preference.

Well, I hope that NoGround and the other Fandom staff members that he contacted are able to figure out a workable solution for us that fits for both mobile and desktop layouts.

Just saying, I have an infobox format for civilizations on my wiki I can tweak slightly if needed, but if this decision is made it could be the basis for civ profiles

It's better to use "Users" rather than fans. Because a lot of people use both, just not always at the same time.

Aight, sorry for wording it wrong.

I just wanted to express that both the mobile and desktop side of things need to have the balance to be equally enjoyable without drawbacks.

Well, the entire operating system software for fandom will be updated in a few months (Meaning that what works currently for the layout may not work then and vice versa), and we also soon have to get accustomed to the new forum, so let's wait with applying this.

Well shit, that just renders the new infoboxes we have ATM null and void.

Maybe, maybe not, but we don't know yet.

Back