• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding Selene Enlarging the Moon

I mean, if the feat itself is so vague that people are questioning whether or not it was even a real moon... Why would this be accepted?
I mean, if the feat itself is so vague that people are questioning whether or not it was even a real moon... Why would this be accepted?
Because “upgrades is the way to go” instead of just waiting to see what else could happen as well

To be the Debby downer of this thread some more, how do we know she increased its mass rather than solely it’s physical size? Because if the mass stayed constant than the GBE would decrease. Also, assuming it did increase its mass proportional to size cubed, does the larger moon exert tidal forces you’d expect from a celestial body that size?

Very weird analogy that I'm not really sure even is fitting, plus Selene is a different case from Brandish. None of her abilities are hax based, while Brandish's magic itself is hax based.
Yes it’s a weird analogy I will admit but Selene is the pump and the tire is a moon. The reason is similar with Brandosh because something was enlarged but nothing AP related and it was considered as such for hax. Selene is the same way with her magic power just making it bigger is all again same way with Brandish who actually applied magic onto something

Because “upgrades is the way to go” instead of just waiting to see what else could happen as well
Could you not dismiss anyone disagreeing with you as "just wanting upgrades"? You do that a lot.

Also for the fake moon point, the idea of it being a fake moon is, to my knowledge, just headcanon. As said before, Selene stayed in Elentir specifically to indulge in the moon.
To be the Debby downer of this thread some more, how do we know she increased its mass rather than solely it’s physical size? Because if the mass stayed constant than the GBE would decrease. Also, assuming it did increase its mass proportional to size cubed, does the larger moon exert tidal forces you’d expect from a celestial body that size?
We never even saw water nearby so we wouldn't know.
Yes it’s a weird analogy I will admit but Selene is the pump and the tire is a moon. The reason is similar with Brandosh because something was enlarged but nothing AP related and it was considered as such for hax. Selene is the same way with her magic power just making it bigger is all again same way with Brandish who actually applied magic onto something
This is actually what makes Selene's case more viable. Brandish was applying her specific magic onto something, which is hax based, whereas the moon's increase in size was literally a side effect of Selene getting serious.

I asked if anyone thinks it's fake just to address why it isn't fake in case anyone thinks so.
You mean an average density of 3kg/m^3? 💀💀
Yeeah def a considerable possibility

Tidal effects haven't been witnessed but it could also be due to inflating magic power or Mashima just not thinking about it

This is actually what makes Selene's case more viable. Brandish was applying her specific magic onto something, which is hax based, whereas the moon's increase in size was literally a side effect of Selene getting serious.
It’s still the same concept though dude. The mere fact that’s it’s getting bigger due to magic is the same way Brandish enlarged something with her magic just done differently.

We should just wait for more chapter to come so we can give something or even better feats

You mean an average density of 3kg/m^3? 💀💀
Yeeah def a considerable possibility

Tidal effects haven't been witnessed but it could also be due to inflating magic power or Mashima just not thinking about it
Given that no one was even near any water, I don't think we can do much with this point.

It’s still the same concept though dude. The mere fact that’s it’s getting bigger due to magic is the same way Brandish enlarged something with her magic just done differently.
I explained why the cases are different. Please don't just keep repeating yourself and dragging out the argument.

Personally I think it looks good, it's just a matter of "can we scale this to Selene" and to me, the answer is yes.

And I just explained why it’s the same concept. Please don’t keep repeating yourself and draggin out the argument.
You made your point, I addressed it, and then you just repeated the same point. Trying to use what I said doesn't exactly work from you, outside of the fact that it makes you sound rude by mocking what someone said.

This is supposed to be a discussion thread regarding this feat and why the AP for Moon being enlarged should be calculated and that change in GBE should be a fair way to go about it

If the Moon being enlarged is considered incalculable then this would be a useless feat considering there's a significantly large possibility that the Moon has been enlarged.

I just wanted to argue in favour of moon being enlarged requiring the AP obtained in the calc

Elentir's moon doesn't have an orbit as it doesn't wax or wane, this would normally cause the gravitational bodies to eventually collide due to gravitational forces. However we don't see this in the manga so some unforeseen force is holding the moon in place. The Roche Limit wouldn't help either here as we clearly don't see the enlarged moon falling towards the planet.

Without factoring the binding strength of surface rock, the effective gravitational field at a point on the Moon being zero should already cause it to start disintegrating.

But that wouldn't disintegrate the entire thing, it just starts and for the rest of the points on the Moon the gravitational field by the moon's COM should still be stronger. (well this is assuming the two bodies are stationary bodies at a distance from each other tbf)

I just don't remember whether it's where it just starts disintegrating or where it completely disintegrates. It's been 4-5 years the last time I studied for Astronomy Olympiad in high-school and I took engineering since then

Without factoring the binding strength of surface rock, the effective gravitational field at a point on the Moon being zero should already cause it to start disintegrating.

But that wouldn't disintegrate the entire thing, it just starts and for the rest of the points on the Moon the gravitational field by the moon's COM should still be stronger.

I just don't remember whether it's where it just starts disintegrating or where it completely disintegrates. It's been 4-5 years the last time I studied for Astronomy Olympiad in high-school and I took engineering since then
Lucky you astro is what I study

Lucky you astro is what I study
It was my interest for a while until I took engineering for a more stable source and likely better of income in computer science.

And astronomy in India isn't great either afaik, I also didn't like leaving India for graduation. IITs have good track record for job offers in engineering so I chose to join it.

It was my interest for a while until I took engineering for a more stable source and likely better of income in computer science.

And astronomy in India isn't great either afaik, I also didn't like leaving India for higher studies. IITs have good track record for job offers in engineering so I chose to join it.
Yeah my two options are research or professor tbh

Selene's clearly not done yet, so as unfortunate as it is I think it's best just to wait to see what Selene does in the Future. Imo there's no reason to rush this.

It's made in the spur of the moment and I don't have interest anymore either after seeing Shicca moment in today's EZ chapter 👀

You can close it if you want

The moon certainly couldn't have gotten closer (ie not changed size) because the rigid roche limit for the Earth-Moon system is like ~9000 km, and the moving moon method has it at ~1000 km, meaning if Selene moved it that close it would've torn apart.

However, if it got bigger and stayed the same distance away, it would remain outside the rigid and fluid roche limit. That begs the assumption that the moon increased in mass tho, which is an assumption that should be discussed, given afaik we are only told it increased in size (which could just mean physical length).

Assuming this satellite system functions like Earth-Moon.

but I'm open to closing this and waiting for more chapters.
Honestly, waiting for Selene to get her abilities entirely explained is the smartest option imo.

Back