• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding our Lightning Standards´-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kepekley23 said:
I think Avatar is also getting affected. Seeing as the MHS thread only proved it was real electricity as opposed to a literal lightning bolt. Unless Iroh using his bending to redirect a real bolt is enough proof.
I think it is proof enough. The way lightning bending works is very similar to real electricity, and the fact that the bending works on real bolts of lightning is also good evidence.

Manectric should be fine, seeing as the Pokédex states it can form thunderclouds and drop lightning bolts.

Fire Emblem and Golden Sun use Cloud to ground lightning, so we check mark those verses as good to go. I also agree with Matt's input regarding Avatar's lightning, characters summon cloud to ground lightning and then redirect it; so it's technically still a lightning bolt.

Volcanic lightning is as fast as thunderclouds lightning, so Undertale is good.

I was getting tiring too of members wanting to bump anyone to MHS level with the only reason of being electricity and that the verse surpassing Room/Building level; people forget to take into considerations the previous requeriments.

A personal addition would be, since there's no AC current (redundancy) in the nature, the electricity needs to be DC; of course, attacks will be considered DC by default, it just affects weapons that use coils, since coils doesn't work with DC.

Futhermore, the 5 billions value is just a value between, lightning bolts has a power output that vary between 12 to 24000 gigawatts.

Just putting it in but I brought up in a different thread last year that the 400000 m/s thing was actually a high end average for lightning speeds. 200000-300000 is actually the median range. The studies I gave were added to the lightning description.

Well, I think that DontTalkDT wrote our current standards at my request, and I am not sure what else that we should replace them with.

At the very least, he should be asked to give input here, so I will do so.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Wait, so lightning bolts don't have a potency of 1.21 Gigawatts?
Seems pretty low for, any time I look into the internet they have hundreds of gigawatts, with 12 the lower value that I've see (used hypertextbook as reference).

I do recall someone mentioning that Town level lightning bolts do exists; those same lightning bolts shattered the peak of a mountain. Obviously a high end that shouldn't be assumed, but something to consider.

But as long as real electricity speed, not necessarily being a lightning, for example a character who can absorb electricity from an outlet and use this as an attack?

Just because you absorb energy from a source =/= said attack will be that speed. iirc Solarbeam from Pokemon is an example of this.

The real cal howard said:
But we consider Solar Beam to be lightspeed, which is why Sunflowmon's attack is lightspeed
Someone didn't attend the Lightspeed thread for ze mons. ovo

Either way, sunflower banter aside, I guess we'll deal with the verses when we see the issue. I mean there are some obviously in mind.

So in summary, we have the following verses that will be affected (Just writing the ones I see above, not sure if true or not)

-Fire Emblem

-RWBY (I have a partial personal disagreement with this one, but I will wait for that crt.)

-Overwatch (I play this game religiously, so yes.)

-Fairy Tail

I might have missed a few, but yeah I agree to some extent.

I dont wanna sound like a fence sitter, but this is obviously a case by case basis.

I will say this, lightning dodging feats most of the time are either very wanked, or very inconsistent in verses, borderline outlier territory.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Why would FT be affected?
  • shrugs*
In my mind, verses that describe lightning in a fair enough way and has some basis in reality get a pass.

Magi did this, did Fairy Tail even hint it was real lightning? (I just woke up, so memory foggy)

I believe we had a whole thread regarding it or something. Either way, we'll deal with said hurdles when we come to it.

@Ant

I mean, treating every single electric attack that shows properties every single electric current has as ~Mach 1300 is extremely lax.

Our standards should be reserved for properties that actually suggest an extremely charged, short discharge traveling at Mach 1,300. Not properties that almost all electrons have.

While I do understand that part, it's still best to wait for DonTalk's input; maybe he'll either agree or he'll have other details to explain. But his input is valuable either way.

Okay, but removing the guidelines page in its entirety, as was mentioned as an option, still seems like a very bad idea, and we still have to work out how to properly redefine our standards.

DontTalk has consistently been very reliable in helping me out with setting up our standards almost since I started improving on this wiki, so I hope that he will be able to collaborate with the rest of the calc group regarding this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back