• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding our Lightning Standards´-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you misunderstood. I didn't suggest the page to be removed, just the standards I mentioned in the OP.

Nonetheless, we can wait.

Yes, DontTalk lives in Germany, so he is likely going to bed now, as am I for that matter.

Dragonmasterxyz said:
Just because you absorb energy from a source =/= said attack will be that speed. iirc Solarbeam from Pokemon is an example of this.

But it's totally different, plants absorb sunlight and transform it into another type of energy. Electricity continues to be electricity even though it is absorbed, not to conversion into another type of energy.

No it doesn't. There is Laxus traveling through thunderclouds ans appearing as a bolt of lightning and his electricity was attracted to a lightning rod.

I have a question that might have been answered but I gotta get back on assignment soon, so here goes, sorry if this is spam.

Before these lenient methods were approved, what was the "speed of lightning" we accepted, and how should we calculate lightning dodging feats in the future? If it helps, cloud-to-ground lightning, according to this (if it is proven to be legitimate lightning, that is) should move at roughly 600,000 m/s (or, 30 meters/50 microseconds).

a) No, the characters are not dodging the electrons.

b) The standards aren't supposed to proof that something moves with the speed of lightning, but they are supposed to proof that something is and behaves like scientific real lightning instead of magical energy bolts.

The speed then follows from the fact that real lightning is that fast.

Being like real lightning is sufficient to be treated as such, you wouldn't want proof that light moves at lightspeed. (Though I would consider specifying the "some properties" to "at minimum a few of these properties" like with the laser dodging page)

btw. if something behaves very unrealistic it can be disregarded despite the criteria.

All of the prior is of course under the assumption that the lightning fulfills the obligatory voltage/energy criteria. In regards to the possibility of low end showings: That ultimately falls into the outlier nieche of debates, in my opinion. In a situation in which you would scale the creator of the lightning, based on the feat, the criteria should be fulfilled, while in a situation where you would also not do such a dura-to-AP scaling the criteria wouldn't be considered satisfied. In other words this is not a problem with the criteria, but a problem of classifying the AP of the lightning attack as it occurs at every other attempt to classify AP of something as well. (Also my impression is that lightning often doesn't cause a whole lot of environmental damage. I think it depends a lot on what it hits actually)

Antoniofer said:
Futhermore, the 5 billions value is just a value between, lightning bolts has a power output that vary between 12 to 24000 gigawatts.
Watts or joules? That is a huge difference here, because lightning only lasts a fraction of a second.

1) They aren't dodging the signal.

2) Except that's a textbook non sequitur since not all electric currents travel at the speed of a lightning bolt, despite the fact they fit nearly all the criteria you have set up.

a. Electric currents exist; and behave similarly to lightning bolts.

b. Electric currents do not 'have to travel at the speed of lightning; they are more often than not considerably slower than an electrical discharge like that.

Therefore;

c. Saying that electric currents that behave like lightning travel at the speed of lightning is a non-sequitur.

I addressed this in the OP.

I can agree to these standards. Especially with the powerscaling bolts thing, since it seems like it can lead to some heavy calc stacking. If the lightning comes from some supernatural entity and it tags/hurts someone of that level then we could say it's vastly stronger and faster than regular lightning. However if it's natural lightning with nothing to suggest it being any special, then it's just a low end showing for that character.

I actually agree with this, you can pretty much upgrade practically any verse with feats below tier 7 into tier 7. Likewise, I feel as if the 'if an electrical attack can hurt a character that has certain level of durability it can be considered to be 440,000 M/S'. Likewise, I do agree that lightning should only be considered to be that aforementioned speed if it's cloud-to-ground or (in my opinion) if there are specific statements that state that said electricity moves at such speed in the first place.

Mmm... Didn't take that into account, but iirc, lightning has a duration of 70 - 10 us, so that turns the lightning yield in a range of 120000 J to 1.68 gigajoules, that seems lower than the other end so I may be wrong in that timeframe.

Has anyone found a way to determine leader velocity from charge voltage/amperage? That seems like it would be helpful in cases where the output of the discharge is known but the velocity is not.

As you mentioned in posts above, we shouldn't make someone Building level+ in dura because lollightning. You may tank some electricity attack with 1000000000 volts and 1 amper, but 1000000 volts and 1000 ampers? I'm dead, but 1000 ampers is more than fatal for human. You can't really say how much durability has someone if they actually tanked lightning bolt without any injuries. Will return to the thread later.

Well, let's wait for DontTalk to wake up, so we can gradually work out a solution here.

That said, as I keep repeating, threads about changing the fundamental standards of this wiki should strictly be kept in the staff forum, especially if they are highlighted, as they easily get far too chaotic and out of control otherwise.

We would also have to be very careful to evaluate how to properly improve the descriptions in our current Lightning Dodging Feats page, rather than do any hasty and shoddy sudden changes to our system that will leave us considerably worse off than before.

Pretty sure he only survived the splash effect of lightning; a direct hit from a lightning bolt would pretty much cause atomic destruction to a human.

Nope hit him right in the leg the first time, then his shoulder, then his arm, then his head. Not sure about the other instances.

Yeah, that still sounds like rubber shoes and the ground took most of the impact. It's a big difference from if he was standing on a metal pole and a his body was used as a lightning rod.

I'll leave this links here that might be needed later as helpful resources & remember to read this carefully:

Speed of electromagnetic waves/Electromagnetism in a vacuum (No air) is about the Speed of Light (The fastest speed possible).

Link 1: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/waves/em.cfm

"An electromagnetic wave transports its energy through a vacuum at a speed of 3.00 x 108 m/s (a speed value commonly represented by the symbol c)."

Link 2: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/standard/physics/health_physics/using_the_spectrum/revision/1/

"In a vacuum, all electromagnetic waves travel at approximately 3 x 10^8 m/s - the fastest speed possible."

Speed of Electromagnetic waves/Electromagnetism through air (representing the insulator) is Relativistic+, at minimum it's sometimes Relativistic: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_of_electricity?wprov=sfla1

"In everyday electrical and electronic devices, the signals or energy travel as electromagnetic waves typically on the order of 50%―99% of the speed of light..."

"...and almost that fast when air is the insulator."

Speed of electronmagnetic waves/Electromagnetism through matter is Relativistic+, at minimum is Relativistic (dependent on what matter it passes through): http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/standard/physics/health_physics/using_the_spectrum/revision/1/

"When electromagnetic waves travel through matter (for example, light through air or glass), they travel a bit slower than this but rarely less than half as fast as in a vacuum."

Speed of an Electron is about Sub-Relativistic: https://education.jlab.org/qa/electron_01.html

"A calculation shows that the electron is traveling at about 2,200 kilometers per second. That's less than 1% of the speed of light, but it's fast enough to get it around the Earth in just over 18 seconds."

The speed of the return stroke of lightning is Relativistic: http://www.maine.gov/mema/prepare/prep_display.shtml?163524

"The return stroke (the current that cause the visible flash) moves upward at a speed of about 320,000,000 ft per second or about 220,000,000 miles per hour (about 1/3 the speed of light)."

^ The Speed of the Return Stroke of lightning mentioned here is travels around 0.3c (Relativistic): https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning?wprov=sfla1

"The rate at which the return stroke current travels has been found to be around 1×108 m/s."

The speed of the Step Leader of lightning is Massively Hypersonic (Read the last paragraph & look at the diagram on the right): http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/science/science_initiation_stepped_leader.htm

"While the stepped leader develops downward at a speed of 200,000 miles per hour, the leader would move much faster if it didn't pause between each of its steps downward."

I addressed all of your links in the second paragraph of the OP, my friend. Specially the bit about electricity being as fast as light, which is false.

Speed of an electron can be as low as 1cm/s under some circumstances.At 30 degrees Celsius, the speed can be as high as 60km/s, but it varies.

@Kep Can I see a link for the 1 cm/s thing?

Well, I am fine with improvements to our regulations, but it is important that this does not turn into a rush job, and I would much prefer if the new regulations are written in collaboration with DontTalk.

Kepekley23 said:
I addressed all of your links in the second paragraph of the OP, my friend. Specially the bit about electricity being as fast as light, which is false.
Speed of an electron can be as low as 1cm/s under some circumstances.At 30 degrees Celsius, the speed can be as high as 60km/s, but it varies.
@Kepekley 1. The electronmagnetic waves in a vacuum is SoL, not electricity.

2. Good info. to know.

How is anyone so sure that lightning is 5 gigajoules? In reality, lightning is only ONE gigajoule; I just checked and this whole "5-gigajoule" lightning thing is a complete misunderstanding of a sentence on Wikipedia's "harvesting lightning energy" article.

"A single bolt of lightning carries a relatively large amount of energy (approximately 5 billion joules[1] or about the energy stored in 145 litres of petrol)"

Not sure how this can be misunderstood at all.

@Kep It's the same way speed can be misunderstood- I found a few places saying different values and it seems to be based on the volume of the bolt, so larger bolts have larger energy stores.

Perhaps we should close this thread, remove the highlight, and switch to a staff discussion that handles what specifically that we should change for improvements?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back