• This forum is strictly intended to be used by members of the VS Battles wiki. Please only register if you have an autoconfirmed account there, as otherwise your registration will be rejected. If you have already registered once, do not do so again, and contact Antvasima if you encounter any problems.

For instructions regarding the exact procedure to sign up to this forum, please click here.
  • We need Patreon donations for this forum to have all of its running costs financially secured.

Community members who help us out will receive badges that give them several different benefits, including the removal of all advertisements in this forum, but donations from non-members are also extremely appreciated.

Please click here for further information, or here to directly visit our Patreon donations page.
  • Please click here for information about a large petition to help children in need.

Regarding our Lightning Standards´-

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that's done, I wouldn't mind being informed of the results, if possible. I'm no calc group member but I do some calcs, and thus this concerns me. I don't need to comment if us non-staff are not welcome to discussion due to reasons of foreseeable chaos, but I'd like to know the results on standards.

Well, you could just subscribe to the thread after it is created.

@DarkDragon

Nah it was a direct hit on his head. "On Saturday morning, June 25, 1977, Sullivan was struck while fishing in a freshwater pool. The lightning hit the top of his head, set his hair on fire, traveled down, and burnt his chest and stomach." Most of the other times he was hit by lightning were also direct hits other than 2 maybe 3? (That one was unclear).

So yeah...direct hit, yet he's still alive? Anyway, yeah just evidence that maybe not the best idea to give Building+ durability to everyone who survives lightning.

That still doesn't sounds like a direct hit. One giant Lightning bolt actually splatters and creates multiple smaller lightning bolts that are much weaker than the actual lightning bolt. The dirt ground and rubber clothes still took most of the impact. And airborne character wearing metal armor is a different story. Also keep in mind that 30,000 degrees celsius is another thing to consider as that's 5x hotter than the surface of the sun.

Anyway, I agree that this sounds like something that should preferably be moved to staff discussion.

Okay. Kepekley, do you wish to start a new thread in the staff forum, or should I handle it?

Kepekley23 said:
1) They aren't dodging the signal.
2) -snip-
1) Actually lightning doesn't move a a continous speed, but its mean speed is the result of various fast movements with countless breaks inbetween. I am not sure if the speed without the breaks would be speed of light in air, though.

That said it is not the electron speed. The electron speed is given as current divided through the charge density times the crosssection area of the electric flow. Pretty sure that doesn't work out.

In any case what they need to dodge to not get damaged is really the energy transmittance, otherwise they would be burns and electrocutions and stuff.

2) Let me ask you something just to make clear that we are on the same page regarding this: Are you aware that the requirement for the energy to be at least 5 billion joules / the voltage to be 100 million volts has to always be fulfilled. In other words that it is a necessary criteria?

2) Let me ask you something just to make clear that we are on the same page regarding this: Are you aware that the requirement for the energy to be at least 5 billion joules / the voltage to be 100 million volts has to always be fulfilled. In other words that it is a necessary criteria?

Obviously. Now, how does that go against what I said?

Ok, so let's summarize:

The first set of criteria has no purpose other than to show that we are not dealing with magical lightning stuff.

Given that your arguments in the top are moot points, because what you are saying is that they don't proof something they were never supposed to proof to begin with.

The energy criteria is supposed to ensure that, within certainty reasonable for a fictional debate, the electricity has electrical properties on par of that of lightning.

Since you said the criteria was correct and acceptable, I would guess you agree that it does that.

Though, I suppose it would be reasonable to restrict it further to electrical flows within air.

In total we have a scientific electrical flow with properties similar to lightning, if both sets of criteria apply at once.

So how is it non-sequitur to go from there to the electricity having speed similar to lightning?

That said it is not the electron speed. The electron speed is given as current divided through the charge density times the crosssection area of the electric flow. Pretty sure that doesn't work out.

Thermal speed of a current can be similar to lightning. At ~26 Celsius, for example, the speed can be as high as 70km/s, or lower. Which proves perfectly that conducting on water or, worse, causing muscle contraction = \ = being Mach 1300

So how is it non-sequitur to go from there to the electricity having speed similar to lightning?

Because everyone uses these vague "conducts on water and metal" criteria as proof that the lightning the fire is MHS without any further proof whatsoever, such as the AP one you mentioned?

It's definitely a non-sequitur to say "real electricity conducts on water and looks like lightning, therefore any electric current that conducts on water travels at the speed of lightning".

The return stroke is near lightspeed, but none of the characters are dodging that, so no.

@Overlord

It's basically the flashy bolt the thunderstorm produces. It's what you think about when you hear the words "lightning bolt"

Should we close this thread and move to a staff discussion that focuses on how we might practically improve upon our standards?

Roy Sullivan wasn't wearing rubber clothes and he was out on the water when he was struck so minimal splash; however, it could have been a sidestreamer (as no one else was around to see the hit). However, see here: a boy survives an actual confirmed direct hit "So Austin decided to take a stroll across the open field outside the gym. He made it about 200 feet before he got zapped. A bolt of lightning scored a direct hit, entering his body on the right side of his head and exiting through his right ankle. His hoodie sweatshirt was shredded and scorched by the bolt, and his right sneaker melted to his foot." Yep, direct hit confirmed by his classmates.

Interestingly there's a reason given here why lightning might not be the best qualifier for 8-C and should have other feats to back it up. Apparently, "when someone is hit by lightning, it happens so fast that only a very tiny amount of electricity ricochets through the body. The vast majority travels around the outside in a "flashover" effect, Cooper explains." So sometimes actually most of the energy goes around the outside of the body, not actually damaging the person as much as its energy levels suggest.

@Xing That should only affect durability feats. Characters that can use legitimate lightning should still be 8-C, as they are still using that amount of energy.

It was brought up. This thread is being closed soon anyways, so may as well close up any misc. questions left over so they aren't ignored.

Yeah basically, that's what I'm saying in terms of durability and subsequent AP scaling. Sorry if I went off topic.

Matthew Schroeder said:
Kepekley23 is planning a RWBY revision in the future. Suffice to say, scaling a whole verse out of two lightning feats which heavily rely on the problems laid down above, when every single other feat is subsonic to low hypersonic, is not the way things should be.
Naruto, scaling from Kaguya/sage 6 in a nutshell.

Also, won't this heavily affect naruto because Ay (their sacred cow has been invoked) and Negi?I know Touta got confirmed hypersonic+ recently, but it would downscale the top tiers, probably.

This revision doesn't affect Naruto at all. They're scaled to Kirin, which is real lightning, and Naruto's Rasenshuriken's speed.

Also that cloud lighting was made completely magically, so I dont even know how that would work with the RWBY revisions Kep is working on.

Twisted Little Raven said:
not anymore real than a dragon of lightning. Buuuuut Ima stop
Except the dragon made out of lightning is clearly just imagery and we were given a time frame anyway. Also it was made using heat and electricity. Rather than being a jutsu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back